Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331302 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1110 on: May 27, 2016, 03:20:49 am »

Well i suggested it because it's close to Fallout 1/2. Not because it's particularly exceptional but the reviews i read were positive when i last saw it... then again that was GoG and you really have to work hard to get less than 4 stars on GoG.
https://www.gog.com/game/underrail

From what I've seen of Underrail its only similarities to Fallout 1/2 is that the setting is post-apocalyptic and the game is turn-based. Even the combat was barely similar as it had magic spells and junk, so  I dunno how much that game fits the criteria as I doubt that is what someone would want from a Fallout game. Probably not worth the 15 bucks, but maybe try it when it goes on sale.

Wasteland 2 is pretty solid for the first half or so, but the later parts of the game get pretty repetitive and the writing quality decreases quite a bit. If your friend isn't planning on finishing it however that won't be a problem.
I actualy found the opposite to be true, with the first half
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
being a boring, uninspired slog from the start all the way (with the notable exceptions of the MAD monks and Rail Nomads) until the second half
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
where most of the interesting factions and questlines are introduced and most of the interesting conflicts happen.

There is however a lot of mechanical annoyance when all the best gear from the first half is underpowered or barely average in the second half.

Tough I haven't tried the Director's Cut yet, so that might have changed things a bit.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 27, 2016, 09:20:33 am »

A lot of people say distant worlds is great (I've never played it).

To be honest, of all the ones I've played I still think MoO II was the most awesome. I don't get bored playing it - I get bored playing Sword of the Stars (and SotS II is a mess).

One you didn't mention is Star Ruler 2, which is nice because you can finish a game in a few hours, depending on the map size you chose etc. I'm not sure how much the recent expansion improved it, since I haven't bought said expansion. It's supposed to allow MP with people who have the expansion, but the ship designer largely doesn't allow you to use the expansion-stuff, except for jump drives, when making designs, so it looks like it's impossible to prepare ships (with different hulls, etc) for that ahead of time except by switching your regular ships over to jump drive.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kopistko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 28, 2016, 09:47:21 am »

Yo, dwarfs. Please, do you know some games like Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape? Text-based simulator/adventure/ExcelTable-lover?

Or some kind of idle simulator, where you can just watch the game, while it plays itself?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:48:58 am by Kopistko »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 28, 2016, 01:20:44 pm »

Oh yeah Star Ruler 2, I have the first one and played it a BIT and liked it but never followed up for some reason, meant to check out 2.   MOO2 is probably my fav of all time, although Space Empires IV comes pretty darn close, especially with the various mods.

So I fired up The Last Federation and it was pretty good, but didn't hit the 4x spot - more a "manipulator sim".  I'll get back to it when I'm in that kinda mood.

And to really break down my resistance, Distant Worlds just went on sale on Steam for the lowest price I've ever seen it at - $24, 60% off.   That's only a bit more than I'd pay for the 3 expansions I don't have so I guess it's fate.  Are you reading my thoughts, Steam?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 28, 2016, 01:49:14 pm »

Yo, dwarfs. Please, do you know some games like Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape? Text-based simulator/adventure/ExcelTable-lover?
Dunno if it's the same style, but text-based simulator/spreadsheet lover makes me think of this. Sorta' like a text based tbs.

E: Formatting, what did you doooo?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:24:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 01, 2016, 03:59:32 am »

Do any of you know of any 'Slice of Life' or 'life sim' games that aren't The Sims or Tomodachi Life?
I'm not terribly fussy at this point, the genre seems heartbreakingly underpopulated. :(   

Just saw this come across the "featured" list on steam:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/310370/

called "the way of life"  and looks more like an art game than the Sims, but might be your kind of thing.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 02, 2016, 02:33:02 pm »

So not looking for a reccommendation, more opinions on Blitzkrieg 3. Hadn't even realised the game was out (well, in EA anyways), for a year even :V

Anyone here played it, how does it compare to the earlier stuff? Is it a decent RTS on its own? Is the rather novel approach to RTS multiplayer (for PC atleast) working out?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 02, 2016, 07:43:38 pm »

I'm looking for games with fantastic environments. Mostly interested in RPGs, but I'll take a good adventure game, too.

I'm trying to avoid bland fantasy (though I will accept sci-fi, too) worlds with the same generic castles and houses you see everywhere and immerse myself in a world that inspires. Can anyone help?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 02, 2016, 07:55:53 pm »

Hmm... How about bland Bioware fantasy through a Chinese lens? Jade Empire is a pretty cool game if you're not tired of Bioware formula. Won a few awards way back when. I'd say it does most of the fantasy cliches and environments we're used to but at least they look suitably Chinese while at it. I would absolutely definitely cautiously maybe recommend it.

And moving even further back in time, Planescape: Torment has a pretty interesting setting. Not your typical medieval European fantasy. Lot clunkier mechanically.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 02, 2016, 09:21:05 pm »

I'm looking for games with fantastic environments. Mostly interested in RPGs, but I'll take a good adventure game, too.

I'm trying to avoid bland fantasy (though I will accept sci-fi, too) worlds with the same generic castles and houses you see everywhere and immerse myself in a world that inspires. Can anyone help?
Xenoblade Chronicles. Massive world maps, where the scenery is made of giant, dead titans still posed the same way they died in battle. Most of the gameworld is unspoiled by the inhabitants of the dead titans, and the parts that are are pretty anyway. The game goes out of its way to point out how pretty the landscapes are multiple times. You also get assloads of XP for finding the prettiest spots. Yes, scenic environments are literally a game mechanic.

If not that, Shadow of the Colossus maybe? It's sorta "bland fantasy", but there's only a couple of castles and they're ridiculously big on the inside making for exhilarating architecture, and the rest of it is just beautiful mountains and plains and the occasional beach or lake. There's also a ten-kilometer long bridge that you can see from like half the gameworld.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1120 on: June 03, 2016, 12:23:18 am »

Taking a very quick look through my collection, these have some unique and interesting settings and imagery (mix of genres):

Botanicula
Machinarium
Samorost (1 is free, 2 is not)
The Journey Down (2 parts so far)
Qora
Broken Age (currently in Humble Bundle)
Read Only Memories (currently in Humble Bundle)
Psychonauts
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Lume / Lumino City

Hopefully at least one or two of those would be interesting for you.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 03, 2016, 04:40:04 am »

Toren. More adventure, in the vein of Tomb Raider, but short.
Kyn. More tactical RPG (like Baldur's Gate).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 03, 2016, 11:08:03 am »

Have you played Morrowind?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 03, 2016, 11:22:28 am »

Witcher 3?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 03, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »

Well there's "Stories: The paths of destiny"
The game is a hack and slashy arkham combat RPG with a fairly unique setting chock full of animal characters.
The story is basically about a fox who has to relive the same day (remebering his previous days) in order to find a way to save the rebellion from an evil empire.
Also the game is a bit hard.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 179