Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331335 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1125 on: June 03, 2016, 02:12:40 pm »

I'm looking for games with fantastic environments. Mostly interested in RPGs, but I'll take a good adventure game, too.

I'm trying to avoid bland fantasy (though I will accept sci-fi, too) worlds with the same generic castles and houses you see everywhere and immerse myself in a world that inspires. Can anyone help?

Hyper Light Drifter?

sort of Sci-fi meets fantasy meets Zelda?  With amazing visuals in pixelart.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 13, 2016, 06:42:14 pm »

I have a rather vague request. I've come into a quite large amazon gift card, and I'm considering spending some/all of it on games. In this particular scenario price is not a problem. The only requirements are that it runs well-ish on a macbook pro. I guess in terms of genre, I'm not really sure what I want, strategy or RPG maybe. What're your favs? Guess they have to be available on Amazon.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 17, 2016, 09:44:39 pm »

I wish there was a game where you could play as one of the industrial companies from the Star Wars universe. It would be primarily a game about economies, but you could build on different planets, take political action if wealthy/influential enough and be visited by Jedi or Sith. There would be several different routes to victory such as a pure purchasing power win, or political influence, or market share, etc. etc.

Cross-post from games you wish existed, anyone know of a game like this maybe?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 18, 2016, 06:27:26 am »

There aren't many games in the Star Wars universe that aren't "be a jedi" (pretty much every FPS/TPS), "be a soldier" (the battlefront games), or RTS (SW:Rebellion, Empire at War, that Age of Empires clone).

Closest I can think of would be Empire at War: Forces of Corruption when playing as the pirates, but even that falls closer to 4X than an economy game.

Though I guess you're asking for a game with those mechanisms, not necessarily using the Star Wars set dressing.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 18, 2016, 09:32:13 pm »

Thanks fellahs, seems like a interesting game, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for. Any good economics games while we're at it?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 18, 2016, 09:56:04 pm »

You could try railroad tycoon 3.
It's interesting in that the games economy is more or less alive and goods will be shipped without trains (and it's possible to look the routes they are moved through via an overlay) if the rail connections are bad or nonexistent.
It's no Capitalism but might amuse you and is available on GoG at a discount for the next few days.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 19, 2016, 06:16:41 am »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 19, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

That list is really fucking weird, though. Like, games are rated by how many songs they have? What does that have to do with anything? And if you can't invest in other companies or w/e the game doesn't count and isn't allowed on the list?

(For example, OpenTTD made the list, but Simutrans was rejected, despite them both appearing to be practically the same game, just with different balance and UI)
(TBF I never got into Simutrans because I was used to OpenTTD, but I have heard good things, and it being rejected is bizarre to me)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:17:44 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #1134 on: June 19, 2016, 04:15:13 pm »

You could try railroad tycoon 3.
It's interesting in that the games economy is more or less alive and goods will be shipped without trains (and it's possible to look the routes they are moved through via an overlay) if the rail connections are bad or nonexistent.
It's no Capitalism but might amuse you and is available on GoG at a discount for the next few days.

I wish there was a more recent iteration of that game, was lots of fun back in the day. I was looking at Train Fever but it has mixed reviews and doesn't seem to be as deep as the Railroad Tycoon series based on what people are saying

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 19, 2016, 04:21:59 pm »

I might give openTTD a try.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 19, 2016, 05:10:25 pm »

That list is really fucking weird, though.

Yeah, I dont know about any of that stuff.  But there are some good games on the list, and even more good games in the discussion on the Bay12 thread.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 19, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »

That list is really fucking weird, though. Like, games are rated by how many songs they have? What does that have to do with anything?
It doesn't. That's the point. I'm assuming the website hosting the list forces people to have them ranked in some fashion.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 20, 2016, 07:02:44 am »

That list is really fucking weird, though. Like, games are rated by how many songs they have? What does that have to do with anything?
It doesn't. That's the point. I'm assuming the website hosting the list forces people to have them ranked in some fashion.

Nope. You, as the geeklist owner, can order the games however you want. That means "with largest soundtracks" was a conscious decision.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:53 am »

He means it forces them to be ranked in some (any) fashion, rather than in some (specific) fashion. 

Since the list owner didn't feel like he could judge games that he had not personally played, he used the arbitrary and meaningless order of number of songs in soundtrack.

He has, in fact, said this.

Also, it should not surprise anyone the sort of dude that collects lists of economic games based on esoteric criteria will also be the sort of dude that counts songs in soundtracks so as to provide an otherwise non-biased ranking.  We're all a little crazy, and that dude's unique flavor of crazy is sort of awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 179