Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331301 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1095 on: May 16, 2016, 07:40:34 am »

Well Stronghold 1 and 2 (maybe 3 but haven't played it and it has rather mangy reviews).

And then you have the old old dos game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8o13QRPxI

From the top of my head i can also think of Rimworld because your settlement has to be invader proof and you can build some pretty nice forts... as long as you don't mind the game being in 2d with no height variation.
And it's modable so you could find the right mods for playing the game be the way you want.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1096 on: May 16, 2016, 12:53:19 pm »

So... I'm looking for a game where I can build a castle. The obvious answer is Minecraft, and I'm mighty tempted to go back to it, BUT what always gets me is the... futility of it. There isn't a real point to building one, I LOVE building, but it kills me to see my structures gathering dust on some build world or empty server.

So what I'm looking for is a game where I can build castles and structures, etc. and have them used by NPCs or players.

Alternatively, any mods that add NPCs which do stuff in Minecraft or that make the world feel a little more alive? A reason to build a settlement, etc. etc.

EDIT: Really anything that combines building with some RPG elements. I just want to see what I build come alive in game.
Stronghold all the way for this. The point of the walls and towers is to protect your people from invaders, and you have so much control over how the fortifications are arranged. It's really fun.

Factorio is also good for this. Everything you build has purpose, and only a few things in your arsenal become obsolete, and then only if you choose for them to.

Rimworld I haven't played, but it's worth checking out. It's like a much more freeform Prison Architect.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 17, 2016, 02:11:21 am »

What's a 4X game where I actually get a sense of the implications of what I'm doing? Many 4X games just look like moving pieces around on a game board, lots of abstraction and number-crunching without any sense of what's happening down at ground level. What's a 4X game where I can command a massive army that isn't abstracted as "10,000 horsemen" represented by a handful of soldiers occupying a single tile?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 17, 2016, 02:15:36 am »

Total War series sounds like your cup of tea. It's not a 4X, but grand strategy with tactical-level battles comes close enough. Short of that you're only going to get unit-level control in 4Xes like Aurora where the nature of the game is such that you're dealing with tens of units rather than tens of thousands.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 17, 2016, 07:50:40 am »

What's a 4X game where I actually get a sense of the implications of what I'm doing?
Distant Worlds since your decisions have an effect on civilian ships and units are not abstracted so a carrier will launch fighters/bombers you might see in game if you zoom in.
Galactic borders will shift and so will fleets.
You could argue that the newer settlers games could fit as well but that's up for debate i guess.
Self promotion below.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 25, 2016, 10:22:10 am »

A friend of mine is looking to scratch his Fallout itch (he felt that Fallout 4 departed from the core role play aspect of the Fallout series too much). Any recommendations?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 25, 2016, 11:27:19 am »

Castle building: Besides Stronghold, terraria also has this with npcs, but it's not really the same.

4x: Master of Orion 2 in Dosbox? :V
Stellaris didn't impress me.

I liked RO2 more than any other MP FPS I've played in the past few years (including Overwatch), despite that I don't use sniper rifles or run in a squad. One time, for example, I snuck behind enemy lines and then up behind a bunker with a machine gunner in it, and tossed a grenade in to kill him and clear the way for our troops to advance, which was just awesome.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 25, 2016, 11:50:59 am »

A friend of mine is looking to scratch his Fallout itch (he felt that Fallout 4 departed from the core role play aspect of the Fallout series too much). Any recommendations?
Arcanum and UnderRail
Self promotion below.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 25, 2016, 03:13:53 pm »

Arcanum and UnderRail

Wasteland 2, the real fallout4

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 25, 2016, 04:05:30 pm »

Arcanum and UnderRail

Wasteland 2 Directors Cut, the real fallout4
FTFY
Self promotion below.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 26, 2016, 01:10:48 am »

Underrail seems pretty damn awful from what I've played of it.
I forgave it for the general clunkiness, the small selection of character portraits (not to mention the way they didn't change the actual character model) and the bland dialogue, but when I finally set out on the first mission and got repeatedly killed by powerful rat-type things that get combat buffs when multiple attack you at once... just no.

Do game developers still think that sort of thing is fun? ???
Maybe they're just trying to be true to Fallout 1, but let's face it, that was pretty dreadful too in all honesty.   
And Underrail doesn't seem to have an option to sneak past the enemies in question.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 26, 2016, 06:59:20 am »

Underrail is only really playable if you set the difficulty to easy. And even then it's really difficult.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 26, 2016, 08:25:58 pm »

Well i suggested it because it's close to Fallout 1/2. Not because it's particularly exceptional but the reviews i read were positive when i last saw it... then again that was GoG and you really have to work hard to get less than 4 stars on GoG.
https://www.gog.com/game/underrail
Self promotion below.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 26, 2016, 09:30:14 pm »

Well i suggested it because it's close to Fallout 1/2. Not because it's particularly exceptional but the reviews i read were positive when i last saw it... then again that was GoG and you really have to work hard to get less than 4 stars on GoG.
https://www.gog.com/game/underrail

From what I've seen of Underrail its only similarities to Fallout 1/2 is that the setting is post-apocalyptic and the game is turn-based. Even the combat was barely similar as it had magic spells and junk, so  I dunno how much that game fits the criteria as I doubt that is what someone would want from a Fallout game. Probably not worth the 15 bucks, but maybe try it when it goes on sale.

Wasteland 2 is pretty solid for the first half or so, but the later parts of the game get pretty repetitive and the writing quality decreases quite a bit. If your friend isn't planning on finishing it however that won't be a problem.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:37:56 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:02 am »

I kinda lost track of "what's new" in sf 4x games, reading/watching the Stellaris stuff makes me want to fire one up - but not Stellaris for a few months til the roughest edges are smoothed.   I think I have Last Federation and Distant Worlds, and Star Wars Empires at War that I haven't gotten to, I think the last thing I played was AI Wars and a bit of Sword of the Stars II.   Before that GalCiv I & II, ehhhhh, kind of bland, maybe should have given them and SOTS more of a chance.   Otherwise I can't think of anything since the classics - MOO/MOO2/Space Empires III/IV - love these.   Oh and I tried the original Sins of a Solar Empire - not really a 4x and really didn't like it that much.

ED: Oh forgot Aurora, I like it but it's not quite time to fire it up again.

I don't care much about graphics, or super detailed 3d tactical battles, just want some good strategic/economic gameplay with decent AI...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:24:51 am by gimlet »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 179