Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330815 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2014, 09:35:51 am »

"Recettear" also has some quite funny dialogue in it. The translation team did a great job.

I don't really know of any roguelikes that have town building in them. There's games like "Banished" but that doesn't have a dungeon.

"Harvest Moon" has you build up a farm with some RPG elements. Similar is "Animal Crossing" but those are more small odd jobs than dungeon delving.

I think some mods for Oblivion worked like that. Found a town somewhere and spending money to buy upgrades. There was one like that for Fallout 3 ("Something of the Wasteland" or somesuch).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2014, 09:36:39 am »

So, I'm looking for something in particular. I'm looking for a Roguelike that a) lets you leave the dungeon, b) lets you build up the surrounding town, c) isn't a crazy text adventure thing based on the original D&D rules, and d) isn't Azure Dreams (although I really like that game.)

Have you tried Cataclysm: DDA?
Yes. Looking for something with a little more structure, although it's been a long time since I've played cata.

I'm not really sure if Elona fits the bill.

It allows you, aside from going to (randomly generated, excepting a few) dungeons, go to towns (can't enhance them), run a shop, open a museum, build a house, build up your reputation, among other things.

Also, it has a famous variant (due to the main game being defunct), Elona+

Finally, it is batshit insane.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2014, 10:11:13 am »

"Harvest Moon" has you build up a farm with some RPG elements. Similar is "Animal Crossing" but those are more small odd jobs than dungeon delving.

Rune Factory is basically an off-shoot series of Harvest Moon, but with more emphasis on the dungeoneering and RPG elements (though it's still pretty light, unfortunately. Worth playing though).

Rune Factory 4, in particular, has more town building than any other Rune Factory game to date. Can be annoyingly hard to grind for wood and stone though.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

With regards to a 'roguelike with town building' - have you tried Azure Dreams on the Playstation?

It's easily obtainable via a ROM site and playable with a Playstation emulator - but it's essentially a roguelike dungeon crawler and monster raising game in which you use your money to improve the town you live in, choosing what to build and where etc.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2014, 03:33:30 pm »

There any good MMOs out there that play sort of like the way RS used to play before they did all the crap for everyone but antisocial mid-level me?

That is, one that's cheap/free to play and doesn't have forty-two thousand activities for noobs and veterans but six or seven for mid-level players.

Oh, also, it'd preferably have nostalgia-style graphics that don't look like they were stolen from DnD 4e manuals. (Yeah, sure. "Metal bikini top and bottom" makes great plate armor. :P)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2014, 05:12:22 pm »

Anyone know of naval combat games? Im thinking something like Navyfield except actually functional and with complex damage modeling.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2014, 05:16:34 pm »

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2014, 06:21:19 pm »

Have you seen this thing yet?  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138137.0

If you want super detailed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_(series)

I have played the subsim and Im looking for a little better graphics

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2014, 06:51:58 pm »

This is the most modern "spiritual successor" to Harpoon:  http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1101

used to be called "red pill" so you might have read about it under that name.  super detailed modern naval warfare simulation.

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2014, 12:27:57 am »

I ask this one wherever I go. Any recommendations for arcade games with dark/black backgrounds and neon foregrounds? I've got a bunch, but I'm always looking for more. I like all hermitgames' stuff, all puppygames' stuff, charliegames' stuff, Pac-Man CE DX+, Geometry Wars, that sort of thing. PC, Steam slightly preferred as I generally have at least a bit of Steam wallet.

Slightly related, indie games with simple graphical styles and beautiful lighting effects. Magicite and Legend of Dungeon are the examples that come to mind. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2014, 06:34:25 am »

I ask this one wherever I go. Any recommendations for arcade games with dark/black backgrounds and neon foregrounds? I've got a bunch, but I'm always looking for more. I like all hermitgames' stuff, all puppygames' stuff, charliegames' stuff, Pac-Man CE DX+, Geometry Wars, that sort of thing. PC, Steam slightly preferred as I generally have at least a bit of Steam wallet.
Warning Forever is a top-down shooter with graphics like that, inspired by the Touhou boss battles (each "level" is a boss battle), but where each successive level adapts to how you have done in previous ones.  Right now the creator's site is down, but the game is still up on CNet and so forth (it's free).

Another is the flash game Shellcore Command; it is superficially similar (inspired by Battleships Forever, which was inspired by Warning Forever), but is more of an RTS-shmup hybrid, because you only directly control one ship, and can upgrade it over time by gluing on parts from wrecked ships.  It takes place in a large area with two sides fighting, and the goal is to influence things so that yours wins.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2014, 07:21:11 am »

So I've been getting an itch to play a very in depth WWII sim/strategy game lately. The problem is that I can't quite seem to get into HoI3. I'd love to play something where you're controlling a larger scale strategy, but that perhaps you see a bit more depth of the hourly/daily combat between units. I know there are a ton of panzer general-ish games out there, thought someone might know a good one.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2014, 08:13:10 am »

If you're having trouble with HoI3, perhaps try Darkest Hour. It's based on HoI II, and it was easier for me to get into.

There's Unity of Command, which is more of a tactical level wargame that's very accessible.

Men of War: Assault Squad is a pretty good, fairly realistic and hard tactical RTS.

If you're into hardcore simming, I can suggest Silent Hunter 4 (get the Gold Edition, so you can apply mods), IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 or the more recent IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover. I would only suggest grabbing the IL-2s for multiplayer, Silent Hunter 4 for the singleplayer.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2014, 02:41:27 pm »

A few things.

1.) I want a ship. I was always fascinated by games like Privateer and Elite, but I could never get into the primary gameplay of ferrying trade goods around. I guess what I really like about it is the simulationism; nothing is dumbed down, you're just left to operate your ship and get things done. I just want a game where you build or buy a ship, maybe contract some crew, then head out and find loot or get in fights. I guess what I want is something like Star Control 2, but with more depth and complexity to the gameplay side of things.

2.) Building off the previous request, I like problem solving in games. I like linear puzzle games and the like, but that's not what I'm talking about. I want the kind of game where open-ended "puzzles" just arise from gameplay. I guess a good example of this is DF fortress mode, where you're faced with open-ended problems and can solve them in a variety of inventive ways. "How do I dig past this aquifer? How will I get this magma to the top of the map from the bottom? How can I keep my underground well full without flooding everything?" This request ties in with the simulationism thing I mentioned.

3.) Here's an easier one: any good platformers with tight controls and satisfying combat? I'm thinking something like Rocket Knight Adventures or Earthworm Jim. Or maybe Superstar-era Kirby combat (without the Kirby floatiness). I also love a platformer that can take a simple set of mechanics and keep them fresh by making the player use them in unique and inventive ways throughout the game.

Any game that meets one or more of the above would be great. :D
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2014, 02:51:46 pm »

A few things.

1.) I want a ship. I was always fascinated by games like Privateer and Elite, but I could never get into the primary gameplay of ferrying trade goods around. I guess what I really like about it is the simulationism; nothing is dumbed down, you're just left to operate your ship and get things done. I just want a game where you build or buy a ship, maybe contract some crew, then head out and find loot or get in fights. I guess what I want is something like Star Control 2, but with more depth and complexity to the gameplay side of things.

2.) Building off the previous request, I like problem solving in games. I like linear puzzle games and the like, but that's not what I'm talking about. I want the kind of game where open-ended "puzzles" just arise from gameplay. I guess a good example of this is DF fortress mode, where you're faced with open-ended problems and can solve them in a variety of inventive ways. "How do I dig past this aquifer? How will I get this magma to the top of the map from the bottom? How can I keep my underground well full without flooding everything?" This request ties in with the simulationism thing I mentioned.

3.) Here's an easier one: any good platformers with tight controls and satisfying combat? I'm thinking something like Rocket Knight Adventures or Earthworm Jim. Or maybe Superstar-era Kirby combat (without the Kirby floatiness). I also love a platformer that can take a simple set of mechanics and keep them fresh by making the player use them in unique and inventive ways throughout the game.

Any game that meets one or more of the above would be great. :D

Theres the Space Pioneer Rougelike and the In developemetn Ceres:The game  for #1
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 179