Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330782 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »

There any good MMOs out there that play sort of like the way RS used to play before they did all the crap for everyone but antisocial mid-level me?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »

I want a game where you can "watch" as things happen, like watch as a culture evolves or develops or something.

Space Empires 4 and 5 (and possibly others) allow you to Run an all AI game.  People even ran custom AI tourneys, back in the day.

If you play Distant Worlds with all the ministers on, its basically the same as allowing the computer to play its self - but you don't get a god view.  You can decide to take control at any point though, either of a ship, fleet, some branch of government, or the whole thing.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2014, 08:37:06 pm »

I need to find a good WW2 rts game.
RUSE is supposed to be good, it's basically an older version of the excellent Wargame series, only set in WW2.  I haven't played it, though.  Spring 1944 is a pretty nice one for the Spring engine, which means it is free and very flexible but also has few players.

Recommend me some good strategy games, please. Preferably real-time, but I'm not picky.
Zero-K and Wargame: Red Dragon.  Zero-K is an open-source RTS in the style of Total Annhilation, but it is much faster (at least in small games) and has probably the best RTS interface I have ever encountered.  WRD is a late Cold War operational-level game, and manages to have lots of strategy and unit variety (over 1400) while not making the system complicated or unintuitive.

Ok ill try spring 1944. Are there any others? Its pretty hard to find WW2 games.

EDIT: Er does Spring 1944 not come with its own campaign?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:02:00 pm by mosshadow »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2014, 10:13:52 pm »

Nope, multiplayer/AI skirmish only. 

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2014, 10:15:20 pm »

ok um im confused as heck. Im not even sure which AI to use. Any other game suggestions?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:14 pm »

So, I'm looking for something in particular. I'm looking for a Roguelike that a) lets you leave the dungeon, b) lets you build up the surrounding town, c) isn't a crazy text adventure thing based on the original D&D rules, and d) isn't Azure Dreams (although I really like that game.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2014, 11:02:44 pm »

I'm looking for a game that will run on my beat-up laptop, which is fun, and which doesn't revolve around spaceships.
I know I'm hard to please. :-\ Multiplayer is a plus.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2014, 01:26:03 am »

I'm looking for a game that will run on my beat-up laptop, which is fun, and which doesn't revolve around spaceships.
I know I'm hard to please. :-\ Multiplayer is a plus.
Depends on how crappy your craptop is. A lot of the shooters based on the Source engine have fairly low requirements and good multiplayer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:37 am »

Distant Worlds is incredible! Do you know any other 4X space sim games?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2014, 09:41:29 am »

So, I'm looking for something in particular. I'm looking for a Roguelike that a) lets you leave the dungeon, b) lets you build up the surrounding town, c) isn't a crazy text adventure thing based on the original D&D rules, and d) isn't Azure Dreams (although I really like that game.)

Have you tried Cataclysm: DDA?

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2014, 10:05:20 am »

I need to find a good WW2 rts game.

I have played Blitzkrieg II and company of Heroes. Company of heroes was fun but felt tank biased, there rarely seemed to be a reason to use other units like the M10 wolverine or AT guns.
Blitzkrieg II was fun only if the mission was a defense mission, everything else was terrible because the enemy lacked an AI and everything was scripted. 90% of gameplay was using one heavy tank to mow down hundreds of soldiers while driving backwards. Multiplayer was horrendous because it was impossible to play as america because the battle consisted of who had the tank with the best frontal armor.

Men of War tends to be a good one, more on the tactical, squad-based level, and the original MoW and MoW:AS have dynamic campaign mods.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2014, 03:41:34 pm »

Ok thanks, Ill look into those.

Also any Vietnam or Korea war rts? I just realized i havent played a single one of those

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »

I think currently Men of War: Assault Squad is the best of the lot - Men of War Assault Squad 2 is in Early Access, and is basically the same game with some UI improvements as far as I can see so far. The dynamic campaigns are pretty nifty, but for some reason some of my maps are bugged in it. There's also still a bunch of people playing online.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:24 am »

Have you tried Cataclysm: DDA?
Yes. Looking for something with a little more structure, although it's been a long time since I've played cata.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2014, 08:49:11 am »

I know, it isn't exactly what you described, but - Recettear could be close enough. There is management of shop and there is dungeon delving. Problem is that it is not roguelike per se, and also it's too anime for some people :) (but as you mentioned Azure dreams it shouldn't be a problem for you).
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 179