Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330814 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2014, 03:29:43 pm »

I ask this one wherever I go. Any recommendations for arcade games with dark/black backgrounds and neon foregrounds? I've got a bunch, but I'm always looking for more. I like all hermitgames' stuff, all puppygames' stuff, charliegames' stuff, Pac-Man CE DX+, Geometry Wars, that sort of thing. PC, Steam slightly preferred as I generally have at least a bit of Steam wallet.

Slightly related, indie games with simple graphical styles and beautiful lighting effects. Magicite and Legend of Dungeon are the examples that come to mind. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Super House of Dead Ninjas might be something you'd like.  I had fun with it.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2014, 04:48:22 pm »

A few things.

1.) I want a ship. I was always fascinated by games like Privateer and Elite, but I could never get into the primary gameplay of ferrying trade goods around.
..snip..

2.) I want the kind of game where open-ended "puzzles" just arise from gameplay.
..snip..

3.) platformers with tight controls and satisfying combat?

Since you led with Privateer / Elite, I'll start with the X franchise (Look at the latest X3 game, I guess.  I hear 4 isnt all that) in which you can but do not need to trade.  Also, Evochron Mercenaries is supposed to be good.  detailed ship combat, not dumbed down.  Trade if you want to, but dont have to.

Bringing it to more of a top-down sort of feel and wrapping in item 3, I'm eager to see what Starpoint Gemini 2 looks like.  It is available on early access now, and might scratch this itch for you.

I have a vague feeling like I've seen several games with this sort of top-down or from-behind view where you could do different kinds of missions -- fight, trade, salvage, mine, pirate, etc... maybe one of them was Russian with bad voice acting?  cant find it now on a casual search, but there are several of these sorts of things out there.

On the "multiple solution" front, the only thing that comes to mind for me are ship building games like Captain Forever, Kinetic Void, and some other more blockey one that I cant remember the name of.  It looked cool, in the demo you had to place specific blocks for armor, power conduits, turrets, shield generators, docking ports, etc.

in the X series you were supposed to be able to solve problems economically instead of militarily.  by placing or destroying mining stations, you were supposed to be able to make it so that an empire had to follow some path to get a resource they need, and that path might lead them to war with a neighbor.  I'm not sure how that panned out, I don't think it worked in the end.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2014, 05:56:37 pm »

A few things.

1.) I want a ship. I was always fascinated by games like Privateer and Elite, but I could never get into the primary gameplay of ferrying trade goods around. I guess what I really like about it is the simulationism; nothing is dumbed down, you're just left to operate your ship and get things done. I just want a game where you build or buy a ship, maybe contract some crew, then head out and find loot or get in fights. I guess what I want is something like Star Control 2, but with more depth and complexity to the gameplay side of things.

2.) Building off the previous request, I like problem solving in games. I like linear puzzle games and the like, but that's not what I'm talking about. I want the kind of game where open-ended "puzzles" just arise from gameplay. I guess a good example of this is DF fortress mode, where you're faced with open-ended problems and can solve them in a variety of inventive ways. "How do I dig past this aquifer? How will I get this magma to the top of the map from the bottom? How can I keep my underground well full without flooding everything?" This request ties in with the simulationism thing I mentioned.

3.) Here's an easier one: any good platformers with tight controls and satisfying combat? I'm thinking something like Rocket Knight Adventures or Earthworm Jim. Or maybe Superstar-era Kirby combat (without the Kirby floatiness). I also love a platformer that can take a simple set of mechanics and keep them fresh by making the player use them in unique and inventive ways throughout the game.

Any game that meets one or more of the above would be great. :D

I think space rangers fits at least number 1 there.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2014, 06:43:57 pm »

I already have a pretty good list (owned) as I have already; but are there any more fun and trippy/psychedelic games out there in the likes of DYAD (trippy wallpaper generator with crazy-ass/awesome music to lose your mind to) and Retro/Grade (Rhythm game based on SHMUPs, except you're undoing the damage to keep space/time consistent/intact, playing from level 10 to level 1)?

The list of Trippy and/or Psychedelic tagged games seems rather bare, and most the games listed I already have. I can contribute with my tagging, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of this post. I ask of your opinion.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2014, 07:58:20 pm »

A few things.

1.) I want a ship. I was always fascinated by games like Privateer and Elite, but I could never get into the primary gameplay of ferrying trade goods around. I guess what I really like about it is the simulationism; nothing is dumbed down, you're just left to operate your ship and get things done. I just want a game where you build or buy a ship, maybe contract some crew, then head out and find loot or get in fights. I guess what I want is something like Star Control 2, but with more depth and complexity to the gameplay side of things.

2.) Building off the previous request, I like problem solving in games. I like linear puzzle games and the like, but that's not what I'm talking about. I want the kind of game where open-ended "puzzles" just arise from gameplay. I guess a good example of this is DF fortress mode, where you're faced with open-ended problems and can solve them in a variety of inventive ways. "How do I dig past this aquifer? How will I get this magma to the top of the map from the bottom? How can I keep my underground well full without flooding everything?" This request ties in with the simulationism thing I mentioned.

3.) Here's an easier one: any good platformers with tight controls and satisfying combat? I'm thinking something like Rocket Knight Adventures or Earthworm Jim. Or maybe Superstar-era Kirby combat (without the Kirby floatiness). I also love a platformer that can take a simple set of mechanics and keep them fresh by making the player use them in unique and inventive ways throughout the game.

Any game that meets one or more of the above would be great. :D

1. Consider doing some research for X3: Terran Conflict or its expansion, Albion Prelude, and see if you'd like it. I'm not really sure if by ship you meant spacefaring, but going from the Elite vibe, I suppose space things can work.

A short summary: They call X3 a space simulator 4X, due to the heavy emphasis on trading and building up your business (and eventually military) empire before you can do things like waging wars against AI ships in their home sectors. Any factory you destroy disrupts the economy somewhat. And it is absolutely difficult making a self-sufficient factory complex, due to factories having their own resource requirements before they can produce any good. There is lesser emphasis on combat here though, compared to most of its genre.

As to why I didn't recommend X: Rebirth, it's because it sucks. X3 is much better than X:R at the moment; Egosoft is keen on patching things to provide better gaming experiences.

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2014, 08:22:21 pm »

I already have a pretty good list (owned) as I have already; but are there any more fun and trippy/psychedelic games out there in the likes of DYAD (trippy wallpaper generator with crazy-ass/awesome music to lose your mind to) and Retro/Grade (Rhythm game based on SHMUPs, except you're undoing the damage to keep space/time consistent/intact, playing from level 10 to level 1)?

I saw a few games of this sort on demo discs way back when.   I'm thinking of musical games, and wierd neon looking things. 

Games like Brainpipe, Plasmaworm, and Dr Blob's Orgamism from http://www.digital-eel.com/ are thinngs you can sort of zone out to, though they are not rhythm games really.

Or Rayhound, from the Warning Forever guy:  http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhikware%26safe%3Doff&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&u=http://www.hikware.com/Prod/index.html&usg=ALkJrhg5Cwh1sWSlT6ldIfuDrIwe5GEdEQ#rh

There are some other things I've seen on humble bundles, neon colored shooters that built levels based on your playlist.  I remember seeing an interesting looking one with lots of hexagons... cant remember the name.  Maybe Super Hexagon?

Bunch of other audio games I've seen on Steam:  Audiosurf, Chroma, Bit.Trip

For pure trippyness of a different sort, Frog Fractions:  http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2014, 08:43:33 pm »

I noticed Space Giraffe and Rez were other games I heard about from other sources. Chroma actually caught my attention. I recently had an idea or dream that involved using music as a weapon of sorts. Music which choirs and chanting would make epic, not only combat music, but a weapon as well. I mean, Sephiroth's final battle theme would make an epic soundtrack to weaponize. At least, in the context of my dream, and how it constructed it.

Nonetheless, using sound beats and making music to combat with, that seems interesting. Reminds me of another game available called Fract OSC. The music is part of your puzzle solving and bringing an environment back to life. Another game I already have I can recommend in this theme is also Anti-chamber.

EDIT:
Dream is another relevant game, on sale right now Daily Deal.

EDIT EDIT:
Though my mistake being corrected could be relevant as well. Nights Into Dreams is another recommendation.

EDIT EDIT:
The Polynomial is another on my list relevant.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:26:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »

I was searching for the bundle I was thinking of, and found this thing:  http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/44641397764/humble-bundle-with-android-5-has-landed

WTF?  Are there hidden secret un-announced bundles or something? 

That hex game is definitely what I was thinking of. 

Beat Hazard is the other one i was thinking of that uses your play list to generate content.

The Solar thing might also hit the spot for being an atmospheric 'zone-out' kind of game.

I noticed Space Giraffe and Rez were other games I heard about from other sources.

Ha!  I think Rez is one of the old demo-disc games I was remembering... I thought it was Dreamcast, but looks like it was PS2.  Thanks for that name.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:18:44 pm by puke »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2014, 10:39:53 pm »

I'm looking for games like Steampunk Tower. I know I've played similar games in the past (I distinctly remember one quite good where different parts of enemy ships had different armor values, so you could attack the enemy's balloon or their hull or whatever).

Not sure what the genre is called, or how to find more games in the style.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2014, 10:45:22 pm »

So, I'm looking for something in particular. I'm looking for a Roguelike that a) lets you leave the dungeon, b) lets you build up the surrounding town, c) isn't a crazy text adventure thing based on the original D&D rules, and d) isn't Azure Dreams (although I really like that game.)

Sounds like Dark Cloud, maybe? Not really a roguelike, more a classic dungeon crawler, but you can literally build towns by finding the buildings in the dungeon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2014, 10:47:43 pm »

It basically describes Rogue Legacy, only the town is your family keep, and the buildings are just extensions of it.

Describes Darkest Dungeon too, which isn't out yet. :(
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2014, 11:10:34 pm »

I liked Dark Cloud, but wasn't a fan of certain parts of it. Rogue Legacy doesn't really scratch the itch, as building the keep is just upgrading your character. Also, I'm not really a fan of the whole "pay death to go die" thing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »

I'm always trying to keep on top of the list of games that involve dragons as player characters or at least very close roles to the player character (mount/companion for a significant portion of the game), so I figured I'd ask if anyone's heard of one being worked on recently.  I'm aware of Dragons and Titans (sadly MOBAs turn me off like woah), I'm keeping an eye on Dragon on Greenlight to see if it goes anywhere, and Dragons of Elanthia seems to have gone into hibernation as there's been no news since December.  Any others on the horizon that anyone's heard of?

The only real requirement is that the dragon be, well, a dragon.  A person who is ostensibly a dragon but spends the whole game in human form doesn't really satisfy me at all.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:41:01 pm by Wirevix »
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2014, 11:17:29 pm »

Describes Darkest Dungeon too, which isn't out yet. :(

This looks awesome!  will preorder!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »

I'm always trying to keep on top of the list of games that involve dragons as player characters or at least very close roles to the player character (mount/companion for a significant portion of the game), so I figured I'd ask if anyone's heard of one being worked on recently.  I'm aware of Dragons and Titans (sadly MOBAs turn me off like woah), I'm keeping an eye on Dragon on Greenlight to see if it goes anywhere, and Dragons of Elanthia seems to have gone into hibernation as there's been no news since December.  Any others on the horizon that anyone's heard of?

The only real requirement is that the dragon be, well, a dragon.  A person who is ostensibly a dragon but spends the whole game in human form doesn't really satisfy me at all.

"Divinity 2: Ego Draconis" has the main protagonist able to turn into a dragon, though it is kind of like you're last caveat; dungeons are explored in human form.

Similarly in "Divinity: Dragon Commander" you can turn into a dragon with a jet-pack to fight enemy armies. I think the games a real time strategy game though I haven't seen any gameplay videos and can't say anything else about it.

"Hoard" had the player character as a dragon, but again I can't say anything further about it having never played it myself.

Hn, can't really think of any others. There's... uh... Trogdor?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 179