Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: BM: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day Three - GAME OVER - MAFIA WIN  (Read 52088 times)

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day One - The Blood Rain
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:51 pm »

I'm not going to justify the first question with a response beyond this
That was pretty much my reaction when this happened to me for the first time. The problem is that denying the accusation is the intended goal. However, your answer made me think that you don't realize how scummy to us your playstyle is at the moment. It's a very scummy playstyle on this forum.

Apparently, I don't, because I don't see my playstyle as scummy. Live and learn, I guess.

I didn't vote EP because he'd voted me;
Well, the thing is we can't see your motivation. I saw you, who seems scummy to me, go from being somewhat suspicious of a player to voting him and attacking him after he first seriously voted you and tried to hang you.

Tried to hang me with what, exactly? He has on more than one occasion accused me of "doing nothing", not scum-hunting, and now, of asking questions only of people who've targeted me, which is patently absurd and easily proven wrong, by simple observation.

Given his reaction to my statement regarding how suspicious I find him, and having had the chance to go through and reread posts, I felt that changing from FoS to vote was entirely appropriate.

Further, my post changing to a vote on EP was written entirely before I saw his response to my suspicion post. Not, naturally, that you'd know that, so there you go. I'd made up my mind after rereading the thread to change to a vote for him before he voted again for me in response to my suspicions.

I prefer to voice suspicion first when I haven't had the opportunity to properly weigh the facts in evidence as I see them.
Ah. Okay, its just not voting anyone but being suspicious of someone is a scumtell. You should always vote either the person you think is the scummiest or at the end of day pick someone you wouldn't mind lynching. It's not like you can't unvote or change it if you change your mind.

I disagree, but clearly that's a playstyle variation between here and where I've played in the past. Noted. Voice suspicion with votes. Got it.

Being suspicious, and voicing same, when there's time left in the day to change that to a vote is, to me, a way of spurring conversation. "Hey, guys, I noticed this about so-and-so. What do you think?"

FWIW, probably little but whatever, I'm in agreement with you on the likely scum team.

PPE:

@Perseus & Makeinu: I've probably read around 8 or 9 Bay12 mafia games, so I know terminology and stuff.

It's not, to me, that you know the terminology, it's the way in which you apply it, and the way you're playing in general, that strikes me as inconsistent in your claims.

Also, you've been particularly quiet, Luke_Prowler. What devious plans do you hide...

Why did you just vote for yourself? I don't see that as a quote anywhere on the thread.

LP: If you had the choice, what role would you most like to play, and why? Not in the context of this game, but in general.

Caz, Persus: do you find it often the case that claims of town alignment are typically scum-tells?

All questions asked not in response to anything made against me.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:17 pm »

Huh, didn't notice those. Unvote, since you're being more active now. I'm still keeping an eye on you, though.

I'll start scumhunting again later tonight or tomorrow.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »

Please, someone, clarify: is the dark blue text intended to represent suspicion? Mostly it represents "can't read it at all" to me.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »

Please, someone, clarify: is the dark blue text intended to represent suspicion? Mostly it represents "can't read it at all" to me.

Yep.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2013, 11:07:01 pm »

Yep.

Thank you. Another forum idiosyncrasy to adjust to.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »

Persus:
The Play or Die is a thing literally because of this. If they are lurking, they are scum or useless. If they a scum, we got a scum. If they are useless, it eliminates dead weight, narrows down the suspects, and we can finally read their posts in a non-scum manner.
So you support a policy lynch of lurkers?

In one word, yes.

In more, I support a policy of lynching those who do not add anything to the common knowledge of the game. As a town player, one should be aiming, first and foremost, to the collection of common knowledge of the township in order to weed out the scum.

Okay, but you are suddenly defending him.

If I am defending him, it's actually not in a way I had noticed haha. I was noticing a fallacy in one of MakeInu's arguments and calling him out on it.

How do you believe the township should handle lurkers, if not through a Play or Die stand point?

EP:
If you are a townie, how would you handle a lurker? How about a very active and aggravating poster who you believe to be scum?

MakeInu:
Frankly, I am weary with arguments.
I just noticed this line. This is mafia. A game purely about arguments. Arguments that last days. If you're weary of arguments already, how are you going to stand the rest of the game?

SBC:
Come on now, you were quiet in the other BM, too. How spotty do you think you are going to be, for this BM?

PPE:

My vote still stands on you, MakeInu.

And yes, the dark blue is meant to be Finger of Suspicion.

P-PPE:

Yeah, it's mostly useful so people know your lineup.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:29 pm »

Yes that would be correct.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2013, 11:13:16 pm »

If you're weary of arguments already, how are you going to stand the rest of the game?

Heh. Flavor text.

Lynch the lurkers is a very valid strategy, though, generally, lurkers tend to be unengaged town in my experience. So, it's of mixed utility, ultimately.

Yes, you're getting rid of someone who's not contributing to the discussion, but it's longer odds that you're lynching a lurking scum, so in the end, you're giving advantage: scum.

I've read elsewhere that a D1 "no lynch" gives an inherent advantage to the scum. I'm of mixed feelings on this, largely because I believe that goes more to how balanced the game is.

Still, again, very valid strategy.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:49 pm »

Sorry Elephant, just got home, or I managed to forgot to reply yesterday, or something, contributed to this silence.

Anyways, I'm very curious. It seemed to me that you were unhappy with me being overly-friendly. (Before I was gone, you seemed suspicious of me, I'm sure you are more so since I've been gone, but I'm going back to before that.)

Why do you think we should NOT be overly friendly, and what should we be?

Tiruin, if I was mafia, I would view others in terms of their likeliness of being a PR, effect on the other players, their logic (Which ties into the previous one), and the amount of confusion their death would cause to the group.

What does your ..... acronyms? mean.

Also, My previous question meant that for the people in this game, which do you like the most, and you can use evidence from other parts of the forum for that person.

Makeinu:

After Elephant, who do you think is the most scummy, and why, Are there any that you think is more scummy than Elephant? Which person thus far's play style do you like the most?

Elephant:

Who do you think is the most scummy, (And if it is me, please choose a second person as well). Who's play style do you like the most?

Persus: what are your thoughts on Tiruin, what parts of her posts thus far do you like, and which do you not.

Puffer: What do you think was the best play you did in the previous game.

Extend.

Also, correct my if I'm wrong, I managed to misread the last game for 2 weeks.... This is a 7 player, 2 mafia game.

(After reading your new post)
Makeinu, What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages of NL.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2013, 11:23:08 pm »

@Pufferfish: I'd probably look through the thread to find any scummy posts they'd made.

If you're weary of arguments already, how are you going to stand the rest of the game?

Heh. Flavor text.

Lynch the lurkers is a very valid strategy, though, generally, lurkers tend to be unengaged town in my experience. So, it's of mixed utility, ultimately.

Yes, you're getting rid of someone who's not contributing to the discussion, but it's longer odds that you're lynching a lurking scum, so in the end, you're giving advantage: scum.

I've read elsewhere that a D1 "no lynch" gives an inherent advantage to the scum. I'm of mixed feelings on this, largely because I believe that goes more to how balanced the game is.

Still, again, very valid strategy.

flavor text
???

Except that lynching a lurker is still better than lynching an active, non-scummy player. None of the players seem particularly scummy to me so far (except you) so lynching you makes sense to me.

It does, because you don't get information.

As for the second sentence, do you mean that how much of an advantage it gives the scum depends on game balance?

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2013, 11:25:40 pm »

I don't get a reply?

Elephant, but what about the extra day when you NL? ( I do not agree or disagree, it depends on the situation).

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:39 pm »

I'm not going to justify the first question with a response beyond this
That was pretty much my reaction when this happened to me for the first time. The problem is that denying the accusation is the intended goal. However, your answer made me think that you don't realize how scummy to us your playstyle is at the moment. It's a very scummy playstyle on this forum.

Apparently, I don't, because I don't see my playstyle as scummy. Live and learn, I guess.
Basically your playstyle could easily be interpreted as trying to be active without actually doing anything. That's a scum tactic, and you seem to be doing quite well.

Tried to hang me with what, exactly?
If we can't find anybody more suspicious, I say we lynch him. A mislynch is bad, but he's not doing much.

Given his reaction to my statement regarding how suspicious I find him, and having had the chance to go through and reread posts, I felt that changing from FoS to vote was entirely appropriate.
My point was that you may know your motivation, but no-one knows if you are telling the truth.

Okay, but you are suddenly defending him.

If I am defending him, it's actually not in a way I had noticed haha. I was noticing a fallacy in one of MakeInu's arguments and calling him out on it.
Okay.

How do you believe the township should handle lurkers, if not through a Play or Die stand point?
Get them to play. This can involve votes and in extreme cases lynching or encouraging them to replace. I was in the last BM too.

What does your ..... acronyms? mean.
There's a handy list in the OP. You might be thinking of
PPE: Pre-Post Edit
EBWOP: Edit by way of Post

Persus: what are your thoughts on Tiruin, what parts of her posts thus far do you like, and which do you not.
As usual I'm getting mostly null on her. She seems to be leaning more town than some of the others in the game. But I'm bad at reading her and sometimes reading ICs, so she could be scum.[/quote]

Extend.
We can do that?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:09 pm »

Are we not allowed to.... Extend?

if so.

Elephant Parade.

You seem to be doing very well trying to lead a BW.

It does not seem to me that you are doing much more than MakeInU, He/She just seems to be willing to say that he/she doesn't know what he/she is doing. (Maybe I should start being Darvi, and start calling y'all Its)

Which post of yours do you think is the most beneficial to town and this discussion?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2013, 11:36:23 pm »

Are we not allowed to.... Extend?
We can only do it once. And can you explain what you were saying to elephant.

Also, the handy list of abbreviations can be found =http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133728.0here because I was wrong about them being in the OP.
Sigtext

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:02 pm »

@Superblackcat: I didn't get a ninja'd alert when posting for some reason. Sorry.

Why do you think we should NOT be overly friendly, and what should we be?
It seems suspicious, kind of like going "I'M TOTALLY TOWN GUYS." But I only bugged you about that because it was near the beginning and I had nothing to go on.

Who do you think is the most scummy, (And if it is me, please choose a second person as well). Who's play style do you like the most?

Hmm... probably makeinu, since he didn't do anything until he was repeatedly prodded. Might just be newb-ness, though.

You seem to be doing very well trying to lead a BW.
Dunno what that acronym means.

It does not seem to me that you are doing much more than MakeInU, He/She just seems to be willing to say that he/she doesn't know what he/she is doing. (Maybe I should start being Darvi, and start calling y'all Its)

I was being much more active than him earlier. I wasn't very active today because I was busier.

Elephant Parade.

Is this a pressure vote because I didn't answer your questions?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19