Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58601 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - an RTD of survival in a new home.
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2013, 09:18:03 am »

"Drink your caf, you smug bastid, or you might spill it on your perfection, and it'll be all blistered."
((I seem to have driven myself into a bit of a predicament - seeing as four of you are in the car, your actions are basically limited to "wait for the doc to drive you there". Do you think I could roll for your collective trip through the forest, Will's action, and Jacques' action, and then we'll resume the normal action-per-person arrangement?))
"And wouldn't that be a tragedy - you ladies would have to deal with those lesser, sorry excuses for 'men'."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2013, 09:33:38 am »

"I don't think is the time to be attempting to impress the opposite sex. We should concentrate on the mission." McGaw chimes in.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:23 am »

"I don't think is the time to be attempting to impress the opposite sex. We should concentrate on the mission." McGaw chimes in.
"Well I really don't have anything else to do right now."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:33 am »

"Jacques here. I've got you xeno-contact right here. Some kind of... snow fish bit me in the foot. Nothing serious, unless it's poisonous. I'll bring it back to base for analysis or whatever you want to do with it. Jacques out."

Head to base, carrying the snow fish with me.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »

"Amazing. Can you describe me the wound while it's still fresh?" Kathryn responds non-nonchalantly to Jacques.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2013, 02:21:42 pm »

"Jacques here. I'm no biologist. Wait until I head back to base. Jacques out."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2013, 04:22:54 pm »

Stand with my back to the tree and my pistol drawn, wait for the buggy.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - an RTD of applied kinetic xenoanatomy.
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2013, 06:51:21 pm »

((Well, here goes.))

Turn Two

Will:

[5] You lean on the trunk of the tree behind you, the pod covering your left flank, and steady your pistol with both hands. The gun is a H&K P126, loaded with delayed-detonation explosive rounds - formerly the choice of large game hunters all over the Earth. Somebody -a very clever somebody- had gotten the dusty DD rounds off a shelf somewhere, and thought that it would be a brilliant idea to arm the Borean colonists with them. More were produced in short order. The rounds combine stopping power with the ability to turn vital organs into delicious chunky borsch in the instant it takes you to say "Fu-". The weight of the pistol is reassuring.
You wait. A minute passes, then another. You begin to relax slightly. Then, something explodes upwards through the thick snow right in front of you! You catch a glimpse of off-white fur, yellow faceted eyes, and a set of frantically clicking mandibles, before your finger tightens on the trigger in reflex, and the creature is thrown back as if struck by a giant fist. It crumples in a heap in front of you, entirely lifeless.
However, more burst through the snow all around you, though now at a respectful distance - three in five meters or so, and another twice as far behind them. Now you have the time to get a longer look at them: They stand a bit shorter than a human, their mandibles coming about to your neck - what a repulsive thought - though they stand on four long, thin chitinous legs. You suppose that they must be standing on the soil beneath the snow, and true enough, one of them chitters, raising a foot in your direction: it ends in a wicked point.
The situation doesn't look too good to you: you could kill two or three, but if they rush you all at once, they'll tear you a new one for sure.

Team Hovercraft:

[5] Dr. McGaw drives the hover over the ice with a frightening speed: the river is smooth like a highway, so you make rather good time. Soon, the hover veers off into the forest, following the signal of Will's transponder. It loops and weaves through the trees while its occupants exchange banter.
[6] Soon, it arrives at the small clearing where Pod 16 struck Borean soil...wood...whatever. The doctor's eyes widen as she sees the colonist standing with his back to a thick tree, his pistol raised, and the strange creatures surrounding him. Then they widen further as another bug bursts through the snow right in front of the hover, and is promptly run over, its guts spattering the windshield.
The hover comes to a stop.

Jacques:

[3] Holding your catch firmly in hand, you plod over to the river, and then downstream - supposedly, it's frozen now - in the direction of the camp. You walk for some time, the fish wriggling in your grasp. Sometimes it even makes a pitiful croaking noise, its eyes bulging at you in that brain-damaged grimace only fish can manage. You are entirely merciless, however: your ankle still stings. It doesn't interfere with your walking, but it's still rather painful. "Small wonder", - you think, looking at the fish's huge, crooked teeth.
After a rather tiresome walk, you arrive to the Horizon's landing site. Of course, snow around it had already been melted by the ship's powerful primary drives, but to your surprise, it has already been further cleared and packed by the others, who have now arrived to the camp en masse. A large tent has been set up, and several people are unpacking supplies from the storage section. The self-assembling factory's many modules have already been put into proper arrangement by several techs, and it is constructing itself rapidly, small drones crawling over it this way and that.
You grab an empty storage container, stuff it with snow, and thrust the fish inside, then snap it closed. Now you only have to hand it over to that McGaw person, or some other biologist around here, though you doubt it'll be of use before a lab is set up. In the meanwhile, you're free to drink caf and relax, look for some disinfectant for your ankle, or maybe help the others set up camp, whichever.

Markus:

[4] You watch the hover depart, then march off in the direction of the camp at a steady pace. The sun is starting to sink lower: it was about midday when you landed. The length of the Borean day is about the same as the Earth's, and the sun doesn't look markedly different. You remember that the moon is a lot larger, though, resulting in some rather interesting tides.
There are birds soaring above, making slow, dazed circles around the camp. Poor little sods, you think to yourself. When technology invades your life, it really does.
You walk into the camp ten minutes later. Leaning on some crates, you pause to decide what to do next.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:01:28 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2013, 06:57:53 pm »

Hold up, sorry I haven't posted! May you please edit turn two to include me? It's okay if you don't.

Don't mind the pod, probably some other person who climbed out already. Just get to the camp.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2013, 07:05:38 pm »

This was not exactly how Doctor McGaw had pictured her first encounter with alien life...

And, it was about to get even uglier.

"Mr. Pod-16, I suggest you use our distraction to it's best effect!" She said, leaning over the side of the car and aiming down the holo-sights.

Kathryn had never killed a living creature before...and some part of her hated to have to do this. She wanted to study them, communicate, not butcher them...she was sure she had seen one of them making a hand signal when they were driving in. They were, perhaps, intelligent. She only had the feeling this was a horrible misunderstanding.

But, she knew she had no choice. It was them or us, she thought depressingly. Isn't that idea how all the worst violence in human history had begun?

Action: Create some covering fire so Will can get to the hover, then drive away! Or is the hover broken down? D:

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2013, 07:20:14 pm »

Hold up, sorry I haven't posted! May you please edit turn two to include me? It's okay if you don't.

Don't mind the pod, probably some other person who climbed out already. Just get to the camp.
((Ah. Sorry, I assumed you'd go with the others. I'll edit you in tomorrow - I have to get up for school in two hours, and my brain's going all murky.))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2013, 08:13:32 pm »

Rush to the rover, shoot any of them that come between me and it.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2013, 08:34:39 pm »

Hand the snowfish to the most qualified looking person, and then find a medic to tend to my leg.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2013, 01:25:24 am »

"Let the professionals handle this miss."

Lean out and open fire on the xenos.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54