Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87873 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #705 on: January 31, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »

Will the squad I'm being put into have an active captain? I mean, if I'm a full time soldier yet. I checked the player list and I have +0 influence, and I read that full time soldiers gain +2 influence, so I'm guessing I haven't been enlisted yet.

That would be me :)

If you are interested in your future career options in the armed forces:
Martial Arts Coach: After training a bit and gaining a little bit of influence soldier can retire from active military and be assigned as a reserve captain to the peasant squad, with training for one month a year, to harden the general populace against dangers of war.
General Staff: After gaining influence and familiarizing himself with the political system soldier can switch to the work in general staff(war leader, or any associated role).
Guards: After a lot of training a soldier can switch to the guard service, enforcing law, guarding important places and patrolling the streets for whole year and training for one month.
Army Captain: And of course as our military will grow - there will be more squads and thus more captain positions :)

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:58 pm »

I'll definitely think about those!  :)

I'd also like to ask if a soldier with experience and a bit of influence could suggest a guild of sorts? Like a guild of fighters (I'd imagine they'd be in the same squad?) dedicated to the full time protection of the fort, with a certain code/ethics of combat? I don't have anything in mind, it just seems like an interesting concept.
no one could have anticipated this

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 31, 2014, 08:20:32 pm »

Sure he can. Our whole game is based on proposing stuff :)
We do not have any guilds yet, and we do not have any legislations about guilds either. So the first guild will have the most influence over the future guild framework, basically inventing it from the scratch. There are a lot of decisions to make ranging from 'What is a guild?' to various conflict resolution rules and membership shenanigans.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33:21 pm »

Neblime Inkydance (+18) Calls for the Deposition of Firecrazy Purewalled (+10)
For:1
Against:0
Despite any personal feelings I have for senator Firecrazy, she has shown she cares little for the work required to keep our mission progressing.  She deserves equally as much to be struck from the council as derpislava.

OOC
so is mr mountain in the military yet?  I can change the influence if so.
also I think the guild thing will take the form of a guilds law/act or what have you, or, much less likely, a change to the constitution!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 01, 2014, 02:53:01 am »

Elorf Moltenrag (0) Proposes a brick factory (OOC, if this IS an official vote)
For:2
These plans are excellent.  We sorely need a dedicated brick industry for building supplies, and this factory appears to provide everything we need.  If you were to present this as a labour proposal you would have my full support, and likely that of others, granted any underway or otherwise urgent projects are completed first.
OOC
Elorf is this officially a labour proposal?
It would help if you put something like
"Elorf Moltenrag(0) proposes design for Brick Factory"
at the top like cain did

PS: factory manager isn't an existing position as of yet.  If you want it you should petition the council, outlining it's responsibilities and priveliges.
In my haste I forgot to do the paperwork. Aye, I vote for for my design.
Elorf Moltenrag (0) Proposes a brick factory
For:4

I surely will propose the position, once I am through the paperwork!

It may be a bit fancier than our current buildings, but the Brick Factory sets an example for future industries and it is, as our dear Royal Liaison said, a step towards cityhood.
As for building the factory in steps, I agree with that. Although the amount of bricks won't be a problem once the kilns are up and running.

It can be simplified a bit by building small worker's houses around the factory. This might allow the factory to be two stories lower. I personally like the idea of small houses, as they would look more towny, and less DF-y, but it is up to the architect and the senate. I would vote for it either way (small houses or living floors).
My preference lays in having the sleep area in the factory itself. However over time the amount of workers working for the factory may grow and in that case building houses around the factory would be an option.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 01, 2014, 05:24:23 am »

Elorf Moltenrag (0 -> +2 ) Proposes a brick factory
Result:  The plan is approved, the factory shall be built.
OOC:
Forgetting to do the paperwork is a good IC excuse.. i'll have to save that one for myself.
Also sleeping in the factory is bad because it will give unhappy thoughts due to noise, but I actually kind of like the idea that if you work in the brick factory you have a fairly bad time, so if that's up for debate I vote they stay in the factory.
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 01, 2014, 05:48:49 am »

OOC: in current version workshops do not generate noise. But you have risen a valid idea: maybe we should create legal boni and penalties for owning a proper property?
Like creating a table of social position (worker, citizen, senator, guild member, guild master, etc...) and the adequate living conditions for that position(in an easily calculable manner. maybe in terms of space, furniture, quality, etc...). The base idea is that if a person is living in socially expected conditions - he gets a moderate influence bonus. If his living conditions are inadequate - he gets a large penalty(proportionally to the level difference). If his living conditions are better then expected - he gets a little larger bonus.
The bonus would be linked to the property, and if living condition changes - the bonus would change too(that is if a hobo secures a palace - he loses a penalty and gains bonus instead).

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 01, 2014, 07:21:00 am »

OOC
well the easiest way to handle that is to give influence bonuses from the action which acquires the property and lose influence when they lose ownership.  We need property laws...

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 01, 2014, 06:13:13 pm »

Neblime Inkydance (+18) Calls for the Deposition of Firecrazy Purewalled (+10)
For:1
Despite any personal feelings I have for senator Firecrazy, she has shown she cares little for the work required to keep our mission progressing.  She deserves equally as much to be struck from the council as derpislava.
Agreed, It must have been such a hard decision for you, your own woman. I'm not sure I would have been able to do it.

Edit:OOC
Well I'm not sure what way to go with buildings, on one hand they could be government property, having been made using our resources and the chief only runs it for us, being able to be removed should they cause trouble.

But it could also belong to the person who keeps it running/is chief of the place, would depend I guess on what we want or how things go.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:35:05 pm by Cain12 »

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:20 pm »

Would it be possible to ask for a report of sorts on the current soldiers serving in the military?
no one could have anticipated this

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 02, 2014, 12:10:50 am »

Suppose it depends on what you want, could tell you the current full-time soldiers myself, for stuff like skill levels, gear, wounds, we would either need Teledwarf to look at it (unadvised, don't want to give him more work than needed) for us or the latest save (provided he has played any since the last upload, otherwise we already have access to it) so we can find whatever we need ourselves.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:13:55 am by Cain12 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:13 am »

Neblime Inkydance (+18 -> +23 Calls for the deposition of Firecrazy Purewalled (+10 -> 0 )
Result: Firecrazy Purewalled is removed from the council, and loses 10 influence, Neblime Inkydance gains 5 influence and Cain Tongstell gains 1 influence for voting yes

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 02, 2014, 03:34:06 am »

Elorf Moltenrag (0 -> +2 ) Proposes a brick factory
Result:  The plan is approved, the factory shall be built.
Hurray! Now onto the next step, organizing the Factory!

Elorf Moltenrag (+2 ) Proposes the Potters Guild

--Description--
The Potters Guild keeps the clay industry working. It organizes workshops, haulers and brick demand and ensures quality goods.
Members of the guild are entitled to their own bedrooms.
And, of course, the guild steps up for the rights of potters.

--Location/Possession--
The Brick Factory and surrounding lands for expansion. For if the need for future facilities rises that we at least have the space for them.

--Symbol--
A pile of bricks.

--Hierarchy--
Factory Manager
Manages the guild and the Brick Factory. He represents the guild at votes as well.

Second-in-Command
Takes command when the Factory Manager is unavailable.

Potters
They are the main members of the guild.

Factory Guards
For holding the peace in the Factory and defending it during sieges. Their equipment consists of leather and iron.
Factory guards don't have to be veterans, two or three strong dwarves with dogs fit the bill too.

Potters, we must unite! We will organize ourselves and discover new ways to build stronger walls, sturdy roofs and the most beautiful crafts.

OOC:
Well, I guess we needed a guild to run the Factory and add more politics.
I'm quite sure that I forgot some things that a guild needs, so the proposal will grow and improve on your suggestions :)

Edit:Improved the wording a bit
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:19:34 am by Elorf »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 02, 2014, 08:14:37 am »

Elorf Moltenrag (+2 ) Proposes the Potters Guild

SNIP

OOC: Well, I suppose we can hold you guild leaders accountable to our clay based needs, yes?

IC: I suppose that we will have to consider your suggestion, and would request you give me time to turn it over in my head. But at first, I have a few things to note; the idea of factory guards is simply impossible. We have barely a military for our whole settlement, let alone to defend a single factory. If you potters wish for personal defence, then you may have to rely on your own combat skills.

Secondly, we have yet to have serfs, for there is no proper serfdom in effect, so you are merely workers of our community, of the same standard as all others. Sure, you may be organized, but of what particular worth are you?

That said, pottery is such an undervalued art, so perhaps it could be good to have a guild of training artisans. Of course you main duty would remain to construct bricks, but your guild would ensure the quality of our goods, yes?

OOC: Does this come off as too negative/rambling? I'm not saying guild members should not get privileges, but that perhaps these privileges should be directly linked to their work that are not available to non-guild members. IE, Guild members get to sleep in the factory bedrooms, guild members get to use factory workshops and work alongside better clay-workers. Non-guild clay-workers would be hard pressed to practice their craft.

Suppose what I'm trying to say with my rather inept words is that guild clay workers should have better rights than non-guild clay-workers, but not necessarily more than, say, the guild-less carpenters. So in effect, the guild decides who gets to learn the art of pottery.

I suppose someone with a better understanding of real-life guilds could give better ideas, but there's my two cents.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:20:26 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 02, 2014, 08:22:25 am »

IC
Just a few obvious thoughts:

We are yet to build the factory, nor choose where to do so, is a guild appropriate at this time?

We do not have a solid military and you ask for guards? Perhaps we could spare some dogs to guard the perimeter, alert us so we can deploy our military to your location.

You ask for more privileges for the same work? Are you better than the rest of the people? Pursuing better methods is your duty to yourself as a worker.

You wish to own the land, but we have not agreed on what land it will be built on, until we have it would be ridiculous to agree to that.

Not that I object to a guild, but it is too soon, and you have not thought it out.
Perhaps you should have discussed it with a willing council member or others.

For:0
Against:1

OOC
Want to support it, really do, but the guards and owning unspecified land is a deal breaker. Privileges of some sort could be allowed.
Also you insulted Cain, or at least he feels insulted.

Well for guilds, how about they have influence, members gain and lose influence related to their position (heads gaining the full benefit while members gain a quarter) and how the guild is seen by the people. So a head of a guild with 10 influence would gain 10 and the members would gain 2 (rounding down). Might be a bit OP since a player would likely be the head, so yeah, OP, maybe a watered down version.

Then again maybe it should be member based, who is a member, how many.

Actually like Kero's idea.

Edit:Arg, called him Kerod OOC when talking about Kero.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:35:21 am by Cain12 »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 60