Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87874 times)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #690 on: January 31, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »

Well I was just thinking we have approved ones, and maybe denied ones, on the wiki, but apparently I was wrong.

Would rather we kept the designs that aren't even presented off the wiki, start making the page once presented or after the vote, add to denied or approved once the vote is done. But that is just me so do what is easier for you.

Can use the forums, pms, and image sharing sites for discussion without making people check the wiki just to stay updated,

Yes, for large projects we should discuss where it will be placed and when it will be built, maybe even for smaller ones later once it starts to matter.
Speaking of the mining hall, would be nice if you guys could vote on that already, probaly ended already.

Edit:In fact it ended a few days ago, Neblime make the announcement and the influence gain, will make the wiki page, should we use the presented ideas image or make a better one? Not sure which is actually less of a pain.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:23:04 pm by Cain12 »

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 31, 2014, 01:26:29 pm »

I think that's a good plan, denied and approved.  Could allow us to drag some denied designs back up at a later date to push some ideas forward.

I wouldn't be able to produce a better design image until this weekend sometime - feel free to if you'd like, if not, I'll give it a shot.  What graphics are you guys using for the design screen shots?

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 31, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »

I use Phoebus, but I think anything will be fine as long as our actual player can make it out.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 31, 2014, 02:34:11 pm »

Woa, I didn't expect that much attention to my design on the wiki... I merely uploaded the images there so I could link to them on my design proposal.
Then Teledwarf came along and gave some good suggestions, so I'm redesigning it a bit.

Anyway, if you guys prefer that I propose the design officially before putting it up on the wiki I'll go with that.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 31, 2014, 02:51:15 pm »

Anyway, if you guys prefer that I propose the design officially before putting it up on the wiki I'll go with that.
Yeah just do what is easier/you prefer I guess, I would prefer it is proposed first but meh, since we are including failed proposals as well now it will definitely end up on the wiki, would make sense to just make the page and upload the images there, then propose here, so what you are doing is fine.

Nice design btw, if I didn't already say so.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 31, 2014, 04:43:17 pm »

Ahum,

I was recently "advised" by the Royal Liaison to do some community work. My first thought went to designing a brick factory, considering that I am a clay artist.
So I engraved, carved and designed the plans for the Brick Factory.

I present you, the Factory!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The foundation, it doubles as storage for raw clay and finished bricks.

The heart of the Factory, six kilns and place for fuel.

The first sleeping area, here the haulers sleep along with a vent.

The second sleeping area, the potters sleep here. The bigger rooms are for the Factory Manager(perhaps some good-looking potter *wink wink*) and the second-in-command.

The Factory Cafeteria. The place to be for a break and fresh air.

Last but not least, the top of the Factory. It keeps the cafeteria dry and the vent clean.

I hope Gorgeadmired appreciates my plans.

OOC:
Phew! It took some time to redesign the factory, but I quite like with the new improvements! It's like a fusion between an Industrial Age factory and dwarven architecture (if that even is a thing).

I placed it at a random place with space, so I didn't see if it's near to clay. I'm sure though that Teledwarf will find a nice spot for it. :)
As for the Factory Manager, I would like Elorf to take up the position. He comes with the building.  ;)

Hope you like it!

Edit: I just noticed that the vent doesn't continue via the second sleeping area... I will fix that tomorrow.
*Fixed*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:02:44 am by Elorf »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 31, 2014, 05:10:34 pm »

:o...beautiful.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 31, 2014, 05:30:42 pm »

Quite so my deranged friend, well done, will need to find a good looking potter to run it, now if only we knew any, might have to settle for an old man with years of experience.

Elorf Moltenrag(0) proposes design for Brick Factory (OOC: if it is one)

For:1
Aganst:0

OOC
Edit:I am presuming it is one, if not I apologize, looks like one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:47:29 pm by Cain12 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 31, 2014, 05:36:54 pm »

Elorf Moltenrag (0) Proposes a brick factory (OOC, if this IS an official vote)
For:2
Against:0
These plans are excellent.  We sorely need a dedicated brick industry for building supplies, and this factory appears to provide everything we need.  If you were to present this as a labour proposal you would have my full support, and likely that of others, granted any underway or otherwise urgent projects are completed first.
OOC
Elorf is this officially a labour proposal?
It would help if you put something like
"Elorf Moltenrag(0) proposes design for Brick Factory"
at the top like cain did
Spoiler: Rule on petitions (click to show/hide)
About having replacements for council members I think we need to do it the other way round.  Have the spot open so people are encouraged to try and get enough influence and approval for a spot.

PS: factory manager isn't an existing position as of yet.  If you want it you should petition the council, outlining it's responsibilities and priveliges.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 31, 2014, 05:54:01 pm »

Windows?  Four stories?  Aye, I see the sand cookers think themselves awfully important.  While I...begrudgingly agree that we need a brick factory, to go ahead with the elvenly idea of a dirt city, I think this design is a bit over the top.  The foundation surely is required, and the kilns.  I think construction should stop at the second floor, the simple sleeping area - this area could be left open for a few beds and tables to form a common dormitory until we have enough excess supplies and workers to construct the luxurious quarters and dining area above.

The design is well done and will make a nice addition to our city, even if it is made of cooked dirt.  I just think that we have more pressing matters at the current time, our efforts will be better spent getting other industries off the ground, before building individual quarters for each worker.

I will support the project, on the condition that we temporarily halt construction at the top of the second floor.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 31, 2014, 06:16:52 pm »

OOC: I quite like it. I really will have to step up my designs to match that. Loved the stonesense screenshot. Good work.  :D

I'm working on a farm myself, but it will probably be rather simplistic; A Field Area, A wooden Barn (for the animals/workshops)/ Workhouse (for the farm workers), A Farm owners house (nothing too fancy, just something for the land owner to live in.)

The Manor (which, being of low priority to the settlement, has been delayed) is experiencing a minor snag, thematically. I had a vaguely Roman (as in "The-historically-inaccurate-version-of-Rome-in-my-head") design; large open entrance/statue garden, an open roof to let in the sun and a retractable drawbridge to cover it up in the colder months (dwarven engineering FTW), small hall way leading to a second floor bedroom with a balcony, etc. However, I recently saw an image of a (relatively modest) castle near where I live, and think parts of the design could be easily adapted to dwarf fortress.

It would fit the tone of the surrounding area better, and I could probably build more for it (it fits the idea of a landowners manor better, the other was vaguely public and palace-esque), but I feel vaguely conflicted about dropping the original parts that don't match the new design. I suppose, as a compromise, I could have two manor plans, just 'til I decide which to keep and which to give up on.

Quite so my deranged friend, well done, will need to find a good looking potter to run it, now if only we knew any, might have to settle for an old man with years of experience.

I agree with our dear master of the-run-on-sentence-that-obscures-his-vaguely-humorous-tone, assuming that this was a proper proposal.

[/quote]
Windows?  Four stories?  Aye, I see the sand cookers think themselves awfully important.  While I...begrudgingly agree that we need a brick factory, to go ahead with the elvenly idea of a dirt city, I think this design is a bit over the top.  The foundation surely is required, and the kilns.  I think construction should stop at the second floor, the simple sleeping area - this area could be left open for a few beds and tables to form a common dormitory until we have enough excess supplies and workers to construct the luxurious quarters and dining area above.

The design is well done and will make a nice addition to our city, even if it is made of cooked dirt.  I just think that we have more pressing matters at the current time, our efforts will be better spent getting other industries off the ground, before building individual quarters for each worker.

I will support the project, on the condition that we temporarily halt construction at the top of the second floor.

However, I must also agree with Coldbones.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 31, 2014, 06:23:53 pm »

I agree with our dear master of the-run-on-sentence-that-obscures-his-vaguely-humorous-tone, assuming that this was a proper proposal.
So sorry we can't all be masters of the literary art of sentence structure.
Will redo it then:
Quite so my deranged friend, well done. We will need to find a young, good looking and experienced potter worthy of the position. Maybe you know someone, having worked in the industry for so long, eh old timer?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 31, 2014, 06:38:21 pm »

Elorf Moltenrag (0) Proposes a brick factory
For:3
Against:0

The design is fun, interesting and quite appropriate for an important guild. While it will be the most luxurious building so far, and it can be argued that resources are better spent elsewhere - we are setting an important milestone here - we are transfering from a smallish hamlet to a city. Next designers will keep this design in mind while designing their own factories and halls.

It can be simplified a bit by building small worker's houses around the factory. This might allow the factory to be two stories lower. I personally like the idea of small houses, as they would look more towny, and less DF-y, but it is up to the architect and the senate. I would vote for it either way (small houses or living floors).

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 31, 2014, 06:48:03 pm »

Neblime Inkydance (13 -> 18 ) calls for the deposition of Derpislava Patterned lance (10 -> 0)
For:2
Against:1
Result: Derpislava is removed from the council and loses 10 influence, Neblime Inkydance gains 5 influence and Cain Tongstell gains 1 influence for voting yes.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 31, 2014, 07:41:31 pm »

Will the squad I'm being put into have an active captain? I mean, if I'm a full time soldier yet. I checked the player list and I have +0 influence, and I read that full time soldiers gain +2 influence, so I'm guessing I haven't been enlisted yet.
no one could have anticipated this
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 60