Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 142785 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 1 - [1 REPLACE NEEDED]
« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:00 am »

Posting from holiday stuff/hectic life/fighting off a flu.  Every time I sit down to write this post I get interrupted within a few minutes.  I can't give this the attention it deserves but I think I gave it what it needs.  If I missed anyone's questions, ask again.

Persus
Imp, Toaster seemed just to be making a flavor text reference. For the record, he wasn't exactly that active in the last Supernatural either, (although he did turn out to be converted scum). And for that matter, you don't have a lot of posts either. You're 4th in the overall post count.
You're saying that you're fine with Toaster's activity here because he wasn't very active in S6, where he was converted to Scum?

And you're saying that I don't have a lot of posts either, because (when you posted this comment) three people had more posts than me and seven had fewer - what's the significance of this to you, and how does that compare to talking about people in last place for number of posts?

Jim:
Explain which side of the fluff-line Toaster's question, your answer to it, and your answering question each falls on?  If these are not fluffy to you, what is the useful purpose you see these serving?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I see avoidance of answering.  Why aren't you answering these questions?

Spoiler: spoiled for brevity (click to show/hide)
Why does this bother you so much?

Because it doesn't make sense to me except as active lurking and deflection.

Toaster:
Imp:
I need to decide if you are hostile to Town or helpful because my Wincon requires me to eliminate threats to Town.

If we're picking nits, that sounds like you're not actually Town.

Quote from: Imp
pirate stuff

Jim beat me to the perfect response to this:

It bugs me that you and Jim appear to be perfectly comfortable with each other.  Your RVS question to him was part of a joke, you brush off my inquiries about what you mean and what you're doing by saying that Jim's joking non-answer to my questions for him was also the perfect response to my questions to you.

Why do you appear so comfortable with Jim in this game?

Also, one more thing:

How much did the pirate pay to get his ears pierced?

You see a person off a ship who's not wearing a tricorn, doesn't have an eye patch or a wooden leg, and lacks a parrot on his shoulder.  What sort of person is this?

I get the humor.  I don't get why humor in place of answering questions.  Explain why you're not answering me, please?

TheDarkStar:

Toaster had some interesting things in his post. His seemed to be multiple other people that we tend to have doubts about.

The part I bolded, what do you mean?

Townie = specific role, town = town-aligned. War vet, Vigilante, Detective, etc. are all town roles.

Ah. Semantics, just not in the way I was thinking.

Yep, my words actually mean something.

As do mine. The distinction between Town, the alignment, and Townie, the role, is in the end irrelevant. Townies don't win or lose, Town does. So making a distinction between the two is a pointless semantics argument.

Not really, since I see you haven't claimed that you are a townie, just town-aligned.

Are you trying to pressure Makeinu into roleclaiming?

Makeinu:

Imp:
You post impressive walls of text. While I certainly appreciate the play advice, I'm having some difficulties in parsing any actual substance out of a lot of what I've linked there. Would it be considered rude if I requested you summarize your suspicions?

It's not rude.  I try to post my Scum/Town list and reasoning before the end of each Day.  Never know if you're going to be here the next Day or not, say it toDay or maybe not at all.

• Toaster:  Initially very low activity, no reason given.  Initial posts a mix of scumhunting and joking.  Challenges that talking to all other players weakens Scumhunting by weakening focus of the players asking the questions and by lessening the fear others feel when questioned.  Appears very comfortable with Jim.  When challenged about low content of posts, becomes more active but doesn't answer my questions except with jokes that are not answers, asking if I'm serious, and pointing out that the joke used by Jim when not answering my questions was also the perfect response for my questions to Toaster.  Since being challenged has stepped up Scumhunting efforts and increased post content.  Claimed to be not very good as Town, especially lately because of poor focus making his game slip.  Medium lean Scum.

• TheDarkStar:  Unsure what type of newbie this one is.  No RVS questions, initial focus on makeinu, observations of scumminess and interpretations of makeinu's behavior as Scum, challenge to makeinu that he 'prove being non-scum' and apologizes if wrong.  Claims to intend to focus on reading posts and finding inconsistencies.  Returns to attack on Makeinu with case, 'trying too hard to look Town', but immediately backs away from it with an unvote and the statement that makeinu 'is not just making excuses'.  Says he wants makeinu investigated, waffles on his unvote of makeinu, says he never stopped being suspicious of makeinu.  When Toaster asks him for his other suspicions, TheDarkStar states Toaster is his other suspicion with the case 'not quoting context for TheDarkStar's scumhunting of makeinu and of defending makeinu'.  TheDarkStar challenges makeinu about claims of being town but not claiming a role (rolefishing), claims to be behind because he started play a day late, claims that 'everyone is equally suspected because almost everyone is being voted for' and that 'everyone is equally suspected because everyone is suspected by one or two people'.  Would not want to be in Lylo with this playstyle.  Medium lean Scum.

• makeinu:  Hard to classify.  Was extremely active and 'thoughtless' in playstyle, explained self extensively.  Hard for me to understand his motives and goals in play despite this - except to guess that he didn't have any goals except to 'play' at that point.  Has since reined in his exuberance.  Responded appropriately to TheDarkStar's possible rolefishing.  Appears to have some grasp how to play Mafia 'in specific', but not 'in general' (when pressured in certain ways, responds very correctly, when not pressured/generally pressured responds much like a very new newbie).  These reactions seem false/faked to me.  Would not want to be in Lylo with this playstyle.  Medium lean Scum.

• Sinlessmoon:  Absolutely avoidant player, who made the claim that he'd handle a seriously Scummy Scumbuddy by trying to distance himself from them as far as possible.  Fewest posts in game.  Claims this is his first Mafia game, to have read others but that was years ago and since forgotten.  Has asked one question, to makeinu, and chased that question once when makeinu hadn't answered, otherwise posts are answers to others' questions or comments about how he should play more and read and catch up.  Would not want to be in Lylo with this playstyle.  Low lean Scum.

• Persus13:  Mix of focus and confusion.  Seems to be following the game fairly closely, but spoke oddly about the 'possible NL' of Friday (maybe didn't count extend requests) and appeared surprised to be the third vote on Sinless.  Has done some Scumhunting, but mostly made statements and observations more than tried to draw more information out from most others, except those who have been absent from the game for a time (Sinlessmoon, Tiruin).  Null read, slight lean Scum.

• Jim Groovester:  Hard to read.  Initially low activity, reason given.  Has greatly stepped up activity and content, and appears more interested in the goings-on of the game after being asked to.  Somewhat comfortable with Toaster, who appears to be extremely comfortable with Jim.  Doesn't answer most of my questions, but Jim has done that to me once before and he was Town that game.  - Null read, slight lean Scum.

• Max White:  Hard to read.  Initial interaction with several other players, early focus on makeinu when makeinu answered a question directed by Max to Sinlessmoon.  Max reacted to Persus and Tiruin when they challenged him, challenging them back, especially Tiruin who started to question Persus about his challenge to Max.  I see difference from Max's S6 play (Max was Scum there and solidly tunneled nqt for about 80% of day 1, essentially ignoring everyone else except to answer questions and often redirecting that question's answer back to why nqt was Scummy).  Max disappeared about 1/4th the way through D1 this game, requested replacement three days later (2 days without weekend).  In S6, he was active for most of D1, going silent about 40 hours before end of day and active again during D2 and D3 until a bit after he was counterclaimed.  I'm not sure how much to classify Max's behavior as 'Max plays like this' or 'Max plays Scum like this'.  Null read.

• Tiruin:  Got very focused on Max fairly early, after a first post of reaction to others followed by some interest in makeinu's oddness.  When asked to summarize her arguments on Max, she instead answers Max's summary of arguments on her, then instead of summarizing her case lists and links all of her posts of interaction with Max.  May offer a summary of 'strange reasons' following those links, but that is not clear.  After Max goes quiet, Tiruin appears to refocus, scumhunting efforts directed to Caz, makeinu, and TheDarkStar, as well as a little more attention to the silent Max, then posts of thesis interview (had earlier posted of many RL interruptions interfering with her play) and has been essentially absent since (~4 days, 2 of them weekend).  Null read.

• Caz:  Seems reasonable this game.  When Caz was Scum in S6, I got a strong feel that I didn't want to talk to Caz, and Caz didn't want to talk to me.  This game I don't feel that.  Caz appears to be fairly broadly focused and to be interacting with most other players in the game, though there's a level of frivolity or insincerity that I find hard to understand in some of her posts (like the post where she made three votes in).  Null read, very slight lean Town.

• RangerCado:  Appears interested in the game.  Initially asked a question of every other player, has followed up with every player about either that question or something else that player has posted except with Sinlessmoon (who hasn't answered and is less than minimally active) and Imp (answered my questions but has not actually asked anything but that first RVS question of me).  Appears to be following the game fairly closely.  Slight lean Town.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23
« Reply #286 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:07 am »

Imp: Look at this vote count that was the last one before my NL comment

The Whiteboard
makeinu: RangerCado
Max White: Persus13, Tiruin
Sinlessmoon: Caz, Imp
Tiruin: Max White

Now do you understand why I said this?
Also, if there's no activity by day end where going to go into a NL. I don't want to give the dopps an advantage.

Also, sorry for lower activity, I've been busy with RL and the SPrint game has taken up most of my Mafia time.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2013, 07:30:40 am »

Imp: Look at this vote count that was the last one before my NL comment

The Whiteboard

Now do you understand why I said this?
Also, if there's no activity by day end where going to go into a NL. I don't want to give the dopps an advantage.

I would, if I didn't go back and check (or actually remember without checking) that you trimmed Meph's post.  Here's the original, it's not very long and you left all but one line intact:

The Whiteboard

Day ends ~5 PM Pacific Today. There are 3 votes to Extend the day to Monday. 4 Votes total needed to Extend.

The part you trimmed is where Meph counts the extensions and says we have 3 and need 1 more.  Immediately after Meph's post (4 minutes after) is makeinu's extend, which without a shorten ensures that the game extends.  Just one shorten wouldn't make the day end early, and we'd be able to react to anyone voting shorten with the vote like that.

A little more than 2 hours later comes Jim's extend, so now we'd need 2 shortens to prevent extension.

And then your post an hour and a half later, where you say:

Imp, Toaster seemed just to be making a flavor text reference. For the record, he wasn't exactly that active in the last Supernatural either, (although he did turn out to be converted scum). And for that matter, you don't have a lot of posts either. You're 4th in the overall post count.

Sinlessmoon: I really want to hear more from you.

Thanks for explaining what I did not ask about.  You've made me more curious, so I'll humor us both and ask 'why are you saying you didn't notice Meph's extend count?  You bothered to trim it out of your quote, so you had to see it when you made this post to me today, right?'

Now would you please answer the questions I did ask?
Persus
You're saying that you're fine with Toaster's activity here because he wasn't very active in S6, where he was converted to Scum?

And you're saying that I don't have a lot of posts either, because (when you posted this comment) three people had more posts than me and seven had fewer - what's the significance of this to you, and how does that compare to talking about people in last place for number of posts?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2013, 07:44:04 am »

Why did you not notice extend?
It doesn't matter. I was concerned about activity. I noticed the extend.

And I'm trying to do some homework and I'm getting distracted.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2013, 08:20:15 am »

SO.

Interview went well. Sparing posts were prioritized to BM Sprint (because darn time >_<)..and I'm coming back!

*skims recent posts*

Oh, Max. I'd still love to know why you did what you did in that matter despite you replacing in. You didn't offer Persus anything other than accuse me of 'interrupting' you, when something like that should've come out given that accusation, am I not right?

*browse-mode on*

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 09, 2013, 08:25:27 am »

It bugs me that you and Jim appear to be perfectly comfortable with each other.  Your RVS question to him was part of a joke, you brush off my inquiries about what you mean and what you're doing by saying that Jim's joking non-answer to my questions for him was also the perfect response to my questions to you.

Why do you appear so comfortable with Jim in this game?

I am comfortable with Jim in every game because he's my ultimate Mafia-bro.  The nautical theme demanded pirate jokes, so he's the perfect target.

I get the humor.  I don't get why humor in place of answering questions.  Explain why you're not answering me, please?

I could give you a sob story and excuses* on why I hadn't put in much effort, or I could just make up for lost time and actually put in the effort.  I chose the latter.  If you have any specific outstanding questions that you want me to answer, let me know.

It's easy to bang out a few answers to direct questions and crack jokes when you have a short amount of interrupted time.  Knocking out real hunting takes time, which I didn't have until the two major posts of mine.  (Hell, it became two because I was interrupted part way through.)

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

Challenges that talking to all other players weakens Scumhunting by weakening focus of the players asking the questions and by lessening the fear others feel when questioned.

This is also not the first time this has come up.  I just chose not to ignore it this time.

• Toaster:  Initially very low activity, no reason given.  Initial posts a mix of scumhunting and joking.  Challenges that talking to all other players weakens Scumhunting by weakening focus of the players asking the questions and by lessening the fear others feel when questioned.  Appears very comfortable with Jim.  When challenged about low content of posts, becomes more active but doesn't answer my questions except with jokes that are not answers, asking if I'm serious, and pointing out that the joke used by Jim when not answering my questions was also the perfect response for my questions to Toaster.  Since being challenged has stepped up Scumhunting efforts and increased post content.  Claimed to be not very good as Town, especially lately because of poor focus making his game slip.  Medium lean Scum.

• Jim Groovester:  Hard to read.  Initially low activity, reason given.  Has greatly stepped up activity and content, and appears more interested in the goings-on of the game after being asked to.  Somewhat comfortable with Toaster, who appears to be extremely comfortable with Jim.  Doesn't answer most of my questions, but Jim has done that to me once before and he was Town that game.  - Null read, slight lean Scum.

I can't help but notice that your itemization on myself and Jim is very similar, yet you give him a pass and vote me.  Why the discrepancy?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:10 am »

Quote from: Toaster
If your questions are less creative, are they less effective?

Toaster:
Not really less effective, but more just a small annoyance to me. a pet-pive if you will.

HEY THEDARKSTAR

DO YOU HAVE MYOPIA OR SOMETHING

TheDarkStar, besides makeinu, who do you suspect?

Obviously, you didn't read.

Toaster.
...Okay Darkstar, can you please give a summary of your case before day end? Because your case is pretty weak to me.

Sorry for not posting over the weekend here, but I was out of town for a bit, and I've still feeling under the weather. Also, Unvote. I'll have a final vote and case up before day end.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2013, 12:45:38 pm »

The Whiteboard
Caz: Toaster
Sinlessmoon: Caz
TheDarkStar: Jim Groovester, makeinu
Toaster: Imp, TheDarkStar

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Today (About 7 hours)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2013, 03:17:21 pm »

Toaster
Caz:
You were very quick to jump in on a question directed at me.

True, jumping in the middle of questions is a foul. The people call foul! Death to Tiruin!

Is this really a lynchable offense?

Hell, all three of your votes look like they're just "lol me too!" votes.  Why is this?

Dunno, it's your interpretation, not mine. The Tiruin vote was a bit making fun of Max's comment. I'll keep jokes to a minimum future since we're working through a fun shortage.

Sinlessmoon, Toaster: Are you still with us?

Now you're jumping right off that.  Jump around some more?

Sadly, I have to admit I'm better at playing scum than town...

I probably shouldn't admit that...

Are you townclaiming again? I swear I'll put my vote back on you -_- I will, damnit.
So do it.

Okay, got that read.  Caz, why are you flinging your vote around like crazy?  It's almost like you want to look active without being active.y Town.

Does throwing my vote around make me look active? I don't think it does. You're getting at me for that and you tell me to put my vote on makeinu, which is a direct contradiction in itself. Why do you want rid of makeinu to the extent that you'll undermine your own argument?

So is he scum for making excuses or scum for repeatably claiming town?

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on the excuses thing. The repeated townclaiming is what's most off about him atm.

makeinu
Likewise, I feel a blind lynch is bad, as mathematically it's advantage scum. If there's a real reason to lynch, then do, but lynch for the sake of lynching is no better or worse than an unintentional no lynch, in my opinion.

True, but it's not really a blind lynch at this point. As inaccurate as Day1 tells can be, we still have a fair chance to lynch scum. Putting aside the accuracy of a lynch, we also gain information for who voted who and can use this to build our Day2 cases. NLing gives us nothing but another dead townie come dawn.

TheDarkStar
Not really, since I see you haven't claimed that you are a townie, just town-aligned.
Might thou be trying to rolefish? Careful now...

DO YOU HAVE MYOPIA OR SOMETHING
IS THAT WHY YOU CANT SEE ANY OF MY POSTS

I missed the first day of play, so of course I will be about a day behind in investigations.
This is an excuse. You didn't miss anything - all of the posts are still available to read.

Why aren't you looking at Persus13, who hasn't voted for anyone?
Why don't we look at you instead?

Sinlessmoon: I initially voted you to see if you'd come out of hiding and play with us, but it seems to have little effect so far. So there my vote will stay until you make some meaningful input.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:02 pm »

I will be the first to point out that as the votes stand currently there is a tie.

I see avoidance of answering.  Why aren't you answering these questions?

I did answer. The robot is you. Apparently there's no room for jokes because mafia is srs bsns.

Because it doesn't make sense to me except as active lurking and deflection.

I don't believe you. There's no way you're getting this worked up over a fucking joke.

• TOASTER MADE A JOKE AND I HATE IT

Why is Toaster's joking a worse offense compared to the other people who rate highly on your scum list?

and appears more interested in the goings-on of the game after being asked to.

I did not become more active in the game because I was asked to, I became more active because my schedule permitted it.

Being myopic wouldn't hinder him unless he's sitting 10ft from the screen. Mayhaps you mean hyperopia aka longsightedness.

You don't say.

Sinlessmoon: I initially voted you to see if you'd come out of hiding and play with us, but it seems to have little effect so far. So there my vote will stay until you make some meaningful input.

An excellent do-nothing vote, if I do so say so myself, utilizing one of the most time-honored scum tactics of going after lurkers.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 09, 2013, 05:38:05 pm »

lololol myopia lololololol

There's a term for this called "ad hominem". It means ignoring other things and making personal attacks. So far, you've had one of these in most of the posts directed to me because I wasn't posting things. However, there are things I do called real life that take some of my time away, so I am unable to be here 24 hours a day (although I'm usually here for a few hours).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:19 pm »

TheDarkStar:

Toaster had some interesting things in his post. His seemed to be multiple other people that we tend to have doubts about.

Townie = specific role, town = town-aligned. War vet, Vigilante, Detective, etc. are all town roles.

As do mine. The distinction between Town, the alignment, and Townie, the role, is in the end irrelevant. Townies don't win or lose, Town does. So making a distinction between the two is a pointless semantics argument.

No I am not. I am pointing out that he seems to have a power role and should not come up as a townie to any investigator roles who check him. I was not intending to pressure him for a role (even though it may have sounded that way if read a different way); I was just trying to point something out for anyone who checks him tonight or future nights.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 1 - Trouble at Sea
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »

TheDarkStar:
Hard to quote inline answers

How, exactly, am I defending Makeinu?

You're excusing the arguments against him.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2013, 05:49:50 pm »

TheDarkStar:

No I am not. I am pointing out that he seems to have a power role and should not come up as a townie to any investigator roles who check him. I was not intending to pressure him for a role (even though it may have sounded that way if read a different way); I was just trying to point something out for anyone who checks him tonight or future nights.

Also, here's what I meant by His seemed to be multiple other people that we tend to have doubts about:

His seemed to be DEFENDING multiple other people that we tend to have doubts about. Typos happen.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:43 pm »

TheDarkStar: Have you played Mafia before?

I have played mafia before, but just not Bay 12 Mafia (as I have said before). It has a very different culture than I am used to seeing, even if the game is the same.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55