Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)  (Read 9989 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:43 am »

Ari points at the tunnel ahead and then the smaller tunnel to the right. He speaks as quietly as he can whilst still being heard.

"So. Which way? I would guess it went... down the small one? We need to be quick. We can either send forward the skeletons or one of us - I can scout it out if needed, but perhaps speed might be more useful here."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2013, 11:33:37 am »

Flittering back and forth between the two tunnels, Eirlys tried to see if she could see anything.  "Y'all can't fit down the little tunnel that easy, but if'n it's new, whatever dug it can like as not come out right fast.  I say we take the big tunnel, 'less y'all either want to split up or else take the slow road."  Her face showed plainly her opinion of the idea of splitting up in the face of an unknown threat. 

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2013, 12:06:45 pm »

"I am happy to follow your lead, Eirlys, if you think it best. Perhaps we should tear up a strip of bandages to block our nostrils against the cave-stench too? It can most probably beset us with the Vomiting at two or three dozen feet..."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »

"I don't know about you lot, but I prefer to have the ability to move and swing clearly enough over having to crawl through such a small tunnel. And good thinking Ari. That stench really IS horrible, so blocking your nose with something would be wise." Gracewyn grumbled as she left her stance willingly to prevent getting a nose full of that AWEFUL stench again. "I'll block off the smaller tunnel if I can with some rubble and we can move quickly down the main corridor before they have time to prepare. I'm just worried about traps and the like, so we should send two of the skeletons first, just in case, and I can swing over them. Now, let's get moving!"

See if I can block off the small tunnel with a large rock or bit of rubble, then start heading down the main tunnel with my guisarme ready to swing over the skeletons. If we enter a large and open area, switch to the greatsword. Go ahead and block my nose with some of that cloth that Ari's got.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2013, 01:44:49 pm »

Check (Healing Check?) the contents of my healing kit to improvise a nasal plug out of bandage and sweet-smelling but otherwise inert ointment. If possible make five and distribute to group: Gracewyn, then me, then any order for remaining comrades. Press on as rearguard protecting casters but ready to inspect/disarm anything suspicious.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2013, 02:01:30 pm »

Tyrileaf unslung the crossbow at her hip. Placing it firmly on the ground, she stood on the thin wooden arms and pulled the string. Her wings fluttered as she slowly drew the wire back. Despite it's tiny size, the crossbow looked huge, held by the miniature fey.

"I'm ready to go as soon as you make the noseplugs to keep out the gaggy-smell."

Reciece noseplugs, ready crossbow, follow behind meatshields

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »

Mathias clears his throat.  "If possible, let us leave them alive.  They are consuming naught but corpses, which performs a service to the town.  If we can accomplish the mission and leave in peace, that would be most desirable.  Although... perhaps if we could break them of their worship of the god of evil and death, we could actually create a place for them."

Have two of the full health skeletons lead as a vanguard.  Keep the other two close to me at all times.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »

"Well, the speak dragonish. I speak dragonic too! Maybe I can talk to them, though I'm not sure they'll listen..."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »

"Mr Val'Tea," commented Ari as he worked quickly, "I know that many humans would disagree with what you say - find it abhorrent, even - but you speak wisely. If the chance for a peaceful resolution arises, I agree that we should try to grab it... Besides, who knows where future allies may find themselves?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2013, 05:10:55 pm »

Quote from: Ari Healing Roll
1d20+21

Ari quickly kitbashes some bit of medicinal cloth and various chemicals to counter the Troglodyte Stench-favoring a heavy citrus scent that will hopefully provide some defense.

He'll need to study an actual sample of Trogstink (That just sounds so agreeable) to make a true countermeasure, however. It occurs to him 'Trogstink' might be an excellent weapon in it's own right...

Quote from: Ari gains a recipe!
Fragment Nose plugs: These small pieces of cloth are heavily scented of Oranges. The user gains +2 to saves against hostile effects based on smell. Each plug lasts an hour, and blocks your normal sense of smell.

Meanwhile, Grace pulls a loose stalactite out of it's mooring and plugs up the small hole. Nothing will be coming this way for awhile!

The Party forms up-two skeletons in front, two in back, and most of everyone behind Grace. Torches are lit and light rocks are carried-though even with the dim light, it's likely these creatures will see you coming before you do them. The cavern becomes even wider as they pass onwards-with evidence of more inhabitants here, mostly dung and bones-scattered about. All is empty for now, however. Several time, noises and sighs flicker at the edge of your vision-but, if you strain you see nothing but indistinct shapes. After a time, it begins to weigh on the mind.

At last, they come to what amounts to a campsite-small 'beds' (little more than piles of filth), random collections of trash, and a cold firepit in the center with a few embers still burning-whoever was here cleared out very recently.

A quick check reveals the camp is empty, save for a curious parchment-located in a cracked oaken chest, in what amounts to the largest tent. It seems some sort of leader resided here...

Opting for speed, Tyri reads it out loud-it's in Draconic, though barely legible and filled with grammatical errors.

1-My nayme is Seezer and I am so strong. The Gret Maww cayme to my dream and say 'lift yerself into my gretness'. Seezer alway gret warrior of Trogsons, now he is so much better-Great Maw guides my bloes to smyte, smyte, smyte the enemie! They run in fear of Trogson Seezer, now...Paladyme Seezer!

I am riting this for my love, Thhhckr, who will respekct me if I am more smart fer riting this.

2-Seezer find token of gretness, of Maws Favorite-mighty blowing horyn on bodee of man cast into abysss. It Changes in my haynd-now it makes a place hollowed in his nayme...Priestess says to blow the horyn to help clan-power full warding magic against the whyte. The whyte will fall..

3-Visits to lair on this day. Many small beings-little rat people, with yapping voices. I yearned to smyte them, but Thhckr commands me not to and I listen. Speaking of little yapping beings-offer friendship and allianyce...they have many more of them, they said. Many hundreds or thousands, under city. One day, we will greatly ryse, they say...Thhckr says she will think uponst it, but in pryvte she say it is a good idee. We will help them for now-until Trogsons rule once more.

Seezer will be among them when they ryse, he hope.

4-Seezer go an adventuring today. Yappers dig dig-very good at dig diging, yappers are-dig dig small hole near entrance. They sayid it will be 'link' in great chane of mighty strronghowlds-very fast to go from place to place, and no sun or beings eyes upon them. Seezer laff, what happening. Yappers dug into monster whole! Big Un monsters eats whole lot, came from ceeling in swoops. Very funneee. Seezer goes to slay wyings-things. They will taste finely, maybee better if also eatying yappers. Great Maw sayz nothying going to waste.

Seezer slayz many wyings, but biggest wying is cunning and evades rath for today. Seezer promise to dine on hyem!

5-Seezer is afeared, today he misplacetaken Cleaver, cymbol of Gods Powers and Wrath. Woz very worried...culd not fight...then, Thhckr bryngs me NEW Cleaver, sayd it is mighty new instrument of God.

But were is olden Cleaver? Woz much more powerful, made pretty death noises...

But Seezer is strong now-Cleaver is Gods Power, and as long as Seezers hands hold it he is invisible...unbeatable...

~Most Recently~

?-Seezer makes rules without Thhckr-she will respeckt me more now for being leading. Great taking of bodyies from abyss on this day-too many to carrie bak quicklee and there are other hunters in abyss hungry too. Order rule all to carry meat back home, will leave Guyht to watch entrance. He is stupid and lazy, but if he dosenot fall to slumber, we should be warn'd if trouble arrives.

Trouble, yes. Seezer hears wurds from angry yapper-not nough for traps, more meat, stop stepping on tail hah hah-yapper yapping bought people-beings in city, tripping traps and making noise. They have the living bones among them-foolsish! Thhckr would seize the bones in the Great Maws nayme and turn them against.

Seezer will stop riting now-he must pick treasure from bodyies first, or others will steal-eye on beautiful golden belt of the Dwarfpeoples. But must go. Yappers always steal, but Seezer cannot hurt them...much...

Not knowing what to make it, they move onwards.

The first line of defense comes from ahead-two small caverns and a trench dug into either side of the stonewall, much like the one at the entrance-all covered with a camouflaging blanket. Upon approaching, the party spots about a dozen small, rat-lizard like beings milling about, pouring dark black liquid into the trench through casks much larger then they.

Though small and ugly, each one of the beings is armed and armored in a manner that befits their natural dexterity, and all of them have longspears, small shields and tiny razortoothed swords on their belts-half of them also have bows and slings. Many of them are also wearing what looks like trophies on their necks, arms, ankles and skinny tails-gold, silver and bronze for the larger ones-bones and teeth for the small ones. Most of their armor is either stolen scraps of larger pieces, or a weird form of insect skin the learned ones of the group called chitin, which nevertheless conforms to their bodies perfectly-while making them much harder to see.

No knowledge checks here-these are Kobolds. Vicious little creatures who'd probably rule the world if they were only a few feet taller. If you ask them, anyway.

There's no visible panic as the adventurers approach-in fact, the largest Kobold (It's the only term for him, and he's wearing what looks like well designed Gnomish steel) shouts orders to his fellows to form up-and six Kobolds line up with spears, with him in the center. Four Kobolds bring up the rear of this group, two in armor, carrying bows-and two clad in richly designed robes and rags. They begin waving their hands and gesturing.

The rest of the Kobolds continues to empty the liquid into the pit, going faster now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:22:55 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2013, 08:10:24 pm »

Diplomacy roll?

Sucking air into her lungs, Tyri shouted in Draconic: "<Halt! We have no wish to fight! If we do, a great many of you will be killed. We are looking for a corpse and a ring. If we find them, we will leave you in peace.>"

If they attack or refuse to listen magic missile at one of the casters

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2013, 06:30:39 am »

The leader lifts up a clawed hand and his units stop, for the moment-the whole battle seems to freeze in place.

For a Kobold he's surprisingly erudite, speaking in more classic Draconic.

"<A great many will fall, perhaps-but, wouldn't you die for your home? Is a ring and a corpse worth our lives, as little you value them-or your own? Nothing is stopping you from turning whence you came. But your kind has always had the right of way, correct? Even when you laid the great wasting upon the whole of the world-you were only doing what came best.

Don't bother answering. We all know this ends one way.

Hearty lads-hold the line against the white! Spears at ready! For the Great Deep One! We do not forget! We do not forgive!>"
He barks and yarks. His soldiers seem to be heartened by the speech, and are ready for battle...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2013, 07:32:21 am »

Dr Ekrund is concerned. What in the blazes has he got himself into? Finding himself in a tunnel full of hostile entrenched lizardcreatures is not his average working day.

”Fighting it is, then. Blast. Tyri, try to hit the left one in a dress, I’ll see if I can hit the other – we need to stop their foul magics…”

Throw a flask of alchemist’s fire at the right caster’s head. Perhaps the splash damage will put his friend off too. Next round, if either caster still lives, throw a flask of acid at its head. Otherwise throw it at one of the archers. Next round, flank one of the engaged enemy if safe to do so (i.e. I won’t get counterflanked) – if not, then melee anyone approaching our casters or melee most vulnerable opponent.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2013, 10:10:02 am »

Tyri's smile was gone, and she wore a uncharacteristicly grim expression."<I never had a home to die for.. but I see your view. But we gave our word. I am sorry it ends this way.>"

Magic Missile the left caster to force a con check

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »

"Is one life worth those of 10 others?  We are the invaders, they, the innocents.  I disagree with this course of action."

Rushed Diplomacy: -10 on Diplomacy roll.  In draconic: "Stay your weapons.  We did not come here to fight, nor to steal anything from you.  We only came to recover a ring that was stolen from a friend.  You understand the importance of helping a friend?  Yes, you do; for that is what your comrades are doing right now; helping a friend.  But that's unnecessary!  We can help you, even if its just as a connection to the above world; we can help you find those things that are hidden from you.  Maybe one day we could even make you a home aboveground, giving you the option rather than the necessity of living down here."

(If we're attacked after this anyway, free action order vanguard Skeletons to march forward and attack.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10