Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)  (Read 9991 times)

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2013, 04:35:24 am »

"Yes, I think a way around is probably best, then. Perhaps you two could fly over and meet us at the end of whatever route we manage to scout out, so if anything does attack us we can fight back from two sides? Mr Val’Tea, perhaps one of your butlers could oblige in leading the way? If not, I shall, for I am relatively quick on my feet…”

Scout a way around – leading the way if a skeletal butler will not!
"I suppose that would be reasonable, although they do have a tendency to miss... just about everything.  Mathias sighs.  "It is so hard to find good help sometimes."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2013, 10:06:16 am »

((@Tealninja: In the future, make sure you give me the literal verbal commands you are actually giving your skeletons. In this case, I suppose you've given temporary control to Ari to direct it's movements.

Also, I don't believe I actually have stats for your skeletons. I'm going to assume they are human warrior skeletons sans equipment (shields+swords) for now.))

The Skeleton slowly clatters into a nearby building through a broken window instead of using the nearby doorway while Mathias sighs, and soon enough Ari following-the unlikely pair looking for a safe path through the most dread of urban developments.

It occurs to the alchemist that the place he is in was once a butcher shop. Rusted prongs hang from the stone ceiling of what was probably a well lit place in it's time-though the metal hooks themselves have likely been long looted. Broken Glass cases stand with a wooden counter and the remains of a coin register than was smashed to pieces. The floor and prongs are rife with grey strings of rotted gristle and bones-the scavengers no doubt got everything in here. His skeleton friend is no source of friendly conversation, however, so he continues moving-to the back of the shop, a storage area, mostly collapsed.

Quote from: Search
1d20+8=21

A quick look in the room rules out any obvious dangers-on the crates and shelves reveals nothing but a small grey bag tucked into one dark, webbed corner.

He plucks it and finds what was maybe a butchers personal stash.

Quote from: Loot
Ratty cloth bag
~
10xTiny Rare Trinkets
~These seem to be small figures children and collectors call 'Housies'-tiny little houses carved by hand, in exquisite detail-it can take a month for a person to make one through careful and tedious work. They are quite cute. One of them is an immaculate image of the Heckling Hellhound.
Ruined Scraps of Paper
No idea what was once on these. There is writing, but it's no longer to be made out
Rainbow Sphere Ring
A small ring of unknown function or purpose-composed of tiny spheres that may be a sort of glass, each one a different rainbow color. You may want to ask your more arcane inclined friends to divine it's use before you put it on.

He puts the bag into his pocket, and moves to the back of the room-a set of stairs goes up and down. Collapsed stairs are risky, so he orders bones to try them first. With no sickening crack to give way a collapse, he follows-downward is, as expected, a flooded basement. Flooded with the same sort of goo that is on the street above, though it's not as deep or moving. Yuck.

Quickly moving upwards, he comes to a second floor area-and finds what he was looking for. An open window leading to the building leaning aside this ibe-and there's already a sturdy little bridge in place, a few planks of boards-nailed down by some no doubt entrepreneurial folk...

Bones passes through the bridge first, clattering obediently.

Quote from: Click
Trap Attack 1d20+10=13 vs Ac 13

Ari spots a razor sharp wire flick across the doorway about neck height, as soon as the skeleton no doubt triggers some sort of defensive trigger by passing the bridge-he wouldn't be surprised if the trap was a pressure plate built into the bridge itself-but, to his surprise, the skeleton merely rocks back from the seemingly decapitating blow, undamaged. He speculates that-anatomically-a living being would likely be bleeding very badly or dying at this point. A skeleton is merely a bit chipped-the force of the trap was diminished for a heavier wire and greater cutting strength no doubt.

A quick examination and a foray into the next room shows his guesses are right-and the trap won't be resetting itself any time soon, though he reckons it'd be easy enough to do so-there's a small winch (the crank looks more akin to a childs hand than a man, but they are well constructed and sturdy) on the other side of the bridge, that lets it be drawn back tightly with some elbow strength. He can only surmise the trap was intended to take down someone of larger size than the trap's builder-and whoever did so had quite a a cunning and vicious wit, going out of their way to make the device inflict a grievous wound (the wire is studded with hand carved glass shards), as opposed to a merely incapacitating one-and to make it able to be reset as often as it was used. Whoever constructed all this enjoys making traps-it's too much work, he thinks, for a mere brigands lazing, or even an ordinary intellect.

Of final note is a black chalk line set a few feet above the window frame, perfectly aligned with the traps wire. Ari notes, with clinical detachment, is the general height of a average male humans neck-they might have well taken the measurement out of one of his old medical journals, it's so precise. Someone must have measured it out with careful precision...

Well, whoever they are are now out of a trap, and Ari still has his skeleton. Does he press on and what, if anything, does he do additionally?

---
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2013, 10:48:24 am »

Hmm, good trap… and probably not entirely abandoned…

”Butler, come with me – we shall fetch your master.”

Head back over the bridge to get comrades, relay that there is a trap, and give instructions to follow, but not too close – they should stay on one side of the bridge whilst I go back into the room, then to follow in as I leave the room – staying roughly one room behind me, and trying to travel quietly. There is, or has been, someone about.

Once comrades fetched, Move Silently onwards, Searching as I go, rapier drawn.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2013, 12:27:07 pm »

Bypassing the Ooze, thankfully, the party is lead carefully onwards by Ari-the Goliath in particular needs special care to avoid falling through the floor's numerous weak spots, or accidentally leaning on a pillar and squishing them all under rubble.

Only once they are momentarily safe in the room with the sprung trap mechanism, does Ari and his skeleton-trap finder begin searching forwards.

The next room across-down from the hall and the only door not clearly blocked or leading off into unhealthy looking drop offs-is about what Ari might expected.

It's a workshop, or perhaps a bedroom-though it was once a sumptuous office, now the mahogan desk is cracked in half and the few windows are smudged with smoke-papers and books found their way into a tiny firepit dug in the center of the room-in the pit are tiny blackened bones, which he identifies as rats and cat and the like. Small tools lie about, but only cast offs-worn down so much as to be useless. Carvings of rudimentary trap mechanisms are collected in one corner, each one slightly more refined than the last. A small patch of dark matter under a low overhang near the west of the room has the look of blood, suggesting trap prototypes were tested on vermin...

The entire place is slightly off putting, as it doesn't suggest a chaotic or diseased mind. There is a specific place or pile for every thing, and the room itself is comparatively clean of the rubbish and trash. Even the shattered furniture has been arranged in a manner that suggests a tidy order. Though the place still smells like a bog-damp and stagnant.

Quote from: Search Roll
1d20+8=15

Ari finds little he'd consider 'loot-whoever lived here has moved on, leaving with anything they had.

With this in mind, he continues on-the adjoining window leads to another one of those plank-board bridges and to yet another building, but at least this one isn't trapped.

Moving through the buildings isn't nearly as hard Ari thought it would be. This path was carved long ago-rubble carefully moved aside, bridges spanning gaps, traps to guard against intruders, and even small support beams added for structural durability. But it's also annoying, and slow going. The small person (or people?) that made them seems to have enjoyed making the passage low and tight-at times, he has to suck in his stomach and wiggle through, and he's always looking out for traps. It's like it was made for rats than people...

He realizes traveling here is quite safer than it would be on the streets, though much slower. He also realizes it'd be easy to get lost if he went exploring. For now, he sticks to the higher levels, and tries to keep an eye on sunlight wherever he goes.

Behind him, the rest of the group passes through, with more or less degrees of difficulty. Grace usually resorts to ripping through the barricades rather than squeezing through.

Ari pushed the skeleton with a touch of impatience as they come to a small drop off-the long and twisting path has lead him to a short balcony over looking a wide, plain looking room-only the walls are decorated with tattered red curtains. His first idea is that the area was a dance hall of some sort...in a moment, perhaps, he'll realize he's been here before-with his family, long ago. Or maybe not. Such is the vagaries of memory...

In any case, he's judging his own leap when he feels a sudden chill-and something that looks like an small piano comes flying out of the darkness at the skeleton.

Quote from: Piano Attack Roll
1d20+4=16
Hit!

Damage 3d6=12

The skeletons luck has run out-it's smashed into component bones with a heavy sound of springs and twinkly keys.

Ari takes a step back, and hears a cold, quiet in the room voice-a womans voice. Though he cannot discern from where or who it's coming from.

"I didn't like that one. All bones, no heart. He couldn't even appreciate fine art...Hmph, am I reduced to puns? Lorhe help me...

You. I see you, sir! Have you come to hear me play? I've been waiting for a long time...for an audience. It'd not do to make we wait so long. It's improper...terribly rude, I dare say."

The voice seems to whisper deeper than you thought anyone could-is it possible for words to have emotions? For Ari certainly hears...anger...patience...and a hint of badly concealed despair...

((The rest of the group is a room behind Ari-they heard the crashing of the piano though, so they can arrive momentarily.))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2013, 12:40:24 pm »

"What the..."  Eirlys cuts herself off, drawing rapier and flying forward towards Ari and the source of the sound. 

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2013, 12:51:00 pm »

Grace silently hustles forward to catch up with Ari, giving him a questioning look between him and the piano.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »

The voice registers confusion as Eirly's and Grace enter, with Ari standing aside-mouth agape.

"...Oh, there's more of you...one, two, three...and more of those heartless things behind you...don't bring them to my performance, please. They wouldn't be able to understand what I'm trying to create...much like certain critics...

...And, who are you, little one? Have you come to hear me play? I know some *Fey Court tunes...though, most of them are too complex for humans and such."

*Lore Added to OP of this Thread

"...oh, a Goliath...I've never felt a Stonefolk to have much appreciate for fine music...no drums or horns in my act, sorry..." She says with polite disdain, or perhaps a hint of amusement.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:08:38 pm by Dwarmin »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2013, 01:15:37 pm »

The simple question, disarmingly offered, arrests Eirlys' notions of joining battle.  "Wait, what?"  She looks at the shattered remains of the skeleton, then at the ruined piano that caused it, then around at the room largely unfamiliar to her, trying to suss out the speaker's location.  "What're you talking about by play?  Where are you?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2013, 01:27:22 pm »

"You must have heard of me! I can say, with humility, I am the great violinist in Oasis, Briery De'mentha, Strings-the-Bright-Moon-over-shadows....With over one hundred years of practice, I certainly should be...but, don't let me 'toot my own horn'...I really hate that expression...I'd rather let you hear for yourself.

As for here...where is here? I mean in a sense, well, I'm right here, in this room...I've been here a long time...in another sense I've not been here very long at all...and that makes me very sad, for some reason. I suppose you can't see me. The lights are all broken, it seems. In fact, this place is quite messy-I've certainly entertained more pleasant venues.

All of that...It's all terrible to think about, so I don't try to dwell on it.

...Will there be more people coming to hear me play? I'm quite anxious to begin."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:29:34 pm by Dwarmin »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2013, 01:37:16 pm »

"Mind if I light things up then? Not with fire, in case you were wondering." Gracewyn replied, looking around the room.

If she says yes, go ahead and uncover my light necklace and have a look around the room.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2013, 01:56:40 pm »

"I don't mind. Please, go right ahead."

Grace takes out her necklace and shines light into the grand hall, grimacing.

Concealed in the shadows under the eaves of the balcony the remains of the long dead-jumbles of bones, from many different peoples. It's almost as this hall was full of people, and they were blasted against the wall with great and terrible force...the furniture, however, seems to have been extracted and carefully reset-and near to the middle of the room, the light reveals what is perhaps the source of your mysterious voice-which is to say, no one at all.

There's an empty chair and...a violin, in charred but playable condition, floating perfectly in the air with no apparent visible owner. A violin bow remains cocked with a musicians eagerness in the air, right beside it. Several skeletons have been...arranged in the other chairs. Some with hats, even.

"...I swear, they're going to make me wait all night. If you'd like refreshments before we begin, I believe they just brought around a plate of cheeses and wine-imported, even...I'm partial to the Onberger Wist, myself. Did you know I originally came from Wistland? I'd much like to see my home again soon...I love Oasis, don't get me wrong, but it's so...urbane...and not in a good way...you don't nearly have enough greenery or Elven culture. It's too diverse, and I mean that in the best possible way."

Most of you with even basic geography learning know that Wistland was across the Clean Sea, a tranquil Elven island nation many thousands of miles away-and it's likely gone now, or no one has heard of it since-along with most of the rest of the world.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »

"Perhaps," says Ari, turning to his comrades, and to Matthias with a questioning look, "Perhaps our friend Mr Val'Tea might be interested in... hearing this music. He has an appreciation for the... finer things, eh?"

Ari does not know what to do, but is wary that this seemingly deluded phantom has powers of entrancing beyond his knowledge.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »

You hear a light clapping sounds-like a woman might  do when excited.

The voice actually radiates a certain infectious joy, and you find somewhat unwelcome smiles tugging the corners of your mouths.

"Good, good, good! You should all take your seats...there should be some in the front row that are open...don't mind the rest of the audience, they couldn't appreciate music like I'm sure you all can."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »

Hiding at the door, Tyrileaf looked in to the room. She looked in obvious confusion at the floating violin.

She hadn't met phantoms before. Tyrileaf wondered what to do.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »

Mathias crouches near the remains of his skeleton butler, seeing if they were truly destroyed or merely jumbled.  If the Skeleton still unlives, then sacrifice Shield of Faith to cast Inflict Light Wounds (1d8+1 negative energy) on the Skeleton.  Sighing, he stands back up again.  "Madam, I'd truly appreciate it if you could show my butlers a little more courtesy.  While it is certainly true their appreciation for the finer things is lacking, they will remain silent and not force that purview upon others.  It is hardly appropriate for a lady to show such savagery towards something that bears her no ill will."

Mathias walks over to the violinist's chair and bows to the invisible player.  "My dear, I would truly love to remain and listen.  How I would quiver with excitement to finally hear the songs of my motherland, denied me my entire life.  But I'm afraid I cannot spare the time; someone has been wronged, and it is my duty to assist them to the best of my ability.  Which does include my rickety servants and my other companions; I must ask you to let us continue with our mission.  I swear to you, I will return as soon as I am able."

If she permits us to leave: in Elven, "Until the moon crests the sky."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10