Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60089 times)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2014, 02:49:19 am »

Now they're quietly restoring some of the banned accounts. According to one of the reps, all the bans were done manually, which makes me wonder why they didn't bother to properly review the accounts in the first place. They've wasted time fixing their fix, and they only have a bunch of frustrated players to show for it.

Meanwhile, there's a ludicrous problem with botters and gold spammers, yet there's been no statement or action by ZOS

MMOs are an odd place.

While on one hand these things are very annoying and detrimental to the player experience... they do, however, bring money into an MMO.

Maybe, but this doesn't seem like a game where anything is freakishly out of reach for most players in terms of gold, there's not a lot to spend it on, and I've heard large amounts of gold are easily and quickly earned at veteran levels. How many people would quit all together if they couldn't buy gold? Then there's all those fraudulent and stolen accounts to deal with. But my point was that ZOS doesn't care about the player economy as much as they claim to.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:21 am »

ESO is well into the phase where I'm deriving more enjoyment out of watching how badly it fails than I would expect to derive from playing it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 20, 2014, 11:59:55 am »

Found some workarounds for some of the more annoying bugs that plague the game.  Nothing regarding quests but for people who suffer from these two things thay may be a godsend.

Random freezes with 100% cpu usage. 
Two possible fixes, closing the launcher whenever you play the game is one fix, but it doesn't work for everyone.  Another fix is to edit the usersettings.txt file in documents>Elder Scrolls Online>live.   There is a setting in there "RequestedNumThreads "-1"" change the -1 to a 0.  Also I can't confirm that works for everyone, but that worked for me.

Also a workaround for infinite loading. 
It seems that changing your graphics settings, applying the changes, and optionally changing them back.  Will fix it temporarily.  (it may still happen again later, but if yer getting a consistent infinite loading screen this will get you past it.)  I've had 3 friends apply that fix to get past a loading screen and it worked each time.  So it either works, or it's a hell of a coincidence.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 27, 2014, 08:00:24 am »

Has there been any updates?

My friend is still ungodly into this game, which seems like an unreal amount of hype coming from one guy, but facts are facts are facts, and I'm pretty sure this is not worth such an expensive purchase.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2014, 10:34:29 am »

The majority of the quest related bugs have been fixed, but there is still plenty of problems. 

PvP is incredibly unbalanced.  Sorcerers can quaff a magica potion and chain teleport spells to escape from almost any fight, so can vampires, while all other classes don't have a proper escape.  Nightblades for example have a 2 second long invisibility.  2 teleports or mist forms get you out of range of even the longest range skills in the game, at full magic they can chain cast it 3 or 4 times.  Nightblade vanish doesn't even get you 5 feet.

Vampires themselves are overpowered, it's possible with the right skills to have their ultimate cost next to nothing (I've heard they can make it cost 6 ultimate points, while the least expensive ultimate otherwise costs 100).  There is also a pvp mechanic where you steal an item from another team, and bring it to a base, but you can't ride a horse while carrying it.  Unfortunately if a vampire is carrying it, using out of combat magic regen they can mist form almost indefinitely, making them go as fast as a horse while making themselves more difficult to hit thanks to the mist form.

A single vampire built right can also walk right up to a zerg, spam their ultimate, and heal themselves for more from the life drain than the zerg can do to them.  Spreading out is a counter, but since ultimate is a separate resource from magic, they can then mist form away scott free.

Also every single nightblade skill in the game is bugged in some way, shape or form. Seriously, somebody compiled a list.

All that said when you look around all the bugs and terrible balancing you can see a light at the end of the tunnel where the game will be quite enjoyable.  It gives me enough hope to still play anyway, even though I end a session angry as often as not.  Your friend may be the same way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 27, 2014, 12:06:27 pm »

Finally, your hit chance is increased by a flat amount from Fortify Attack effects (such as from the Warrior Birthsign), and because of a glitch, Blindness effects.
So THAT'S why I was always such a badass running around wearing Boots of Blinding Speed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 27, 2014, 02:54:48 pm »

isnt the game in beta? so shouldnt you expect lots of bugs? like cpu spikes, etc... or is this one of those 'paid betas'. if it is your guys should know better by now than to spend money on unfinished games and just wait for a release.

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 27, 2014, 03:05:37 pm »

Actually..., No IT IS THE FINAL GAME. And yet It was broken as shit...Why 1 gold coin as a drop, (two if a boss), and a 148,000 coin horse cost...
Goddamit SourceForge

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 27, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »

isnt the game in beta? so shouldnt you expect lots of bugs? like cpu spikes, etc... or is this one of those 'paid betas'. if it is your guys should know better by now than to spend money on unfinished games and just wait for a release.

Definitely feels like one.  Feels like they're charging a box price, sub, and micro-transactions for the privilege of PC gamers to beta test a damned console game.  As to dudes friend who keep's praising the game as the second coming of WoW, my guess is he's gotten the legendary edition or whatever and feels he needs to justify his bad purchase.

Also if anyone has yet to try it and is thinking about it but is worried about whether or not they want to sub long term, make sure you IMMEDIATELY cancel your subscription after inputting your card info, otherwise you'll be billed for your next pay period, as Zeni requires 30 day advanced cancellation.  It's infuriating, and more infuriating that people still argue against this all being a damned money grab.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 27, 2014, 10:38:13 pm »

...Zeni requires 30 day advanced cancellation.
Seriously? THAT is a new one. I've never seen a company do that before and it's a new level of dick move.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2014, 12:01:53 am »

Hate to point it out but that was apparently a rumor.  They responded to somebody talking about that to say that it is not the case.

We would like to clear up some misinformation on the forums regarding cancellation of recurring subscriptions.

If you selected a recurring subscription payment method – such as a credit card – your card will not be charged until your 30 days of access included with the purchase of the game expire. If you cancel your subscription at any time before the expiration of your included 30 days, your card will not be charged.

Some forum users have noted language in the Terms of Service (TOS) requiring users to cancel 30 days prior to the end of the current subscription period in order to avoid continuing charges. However, the TOS also provide that a specific web service – such as ESO – can have different terms that will apply to that service. In the case of ESO, as clearly stated in the ESO store pages, you can cancel your subscription at any time.

So for someone who activated a 30-day recurring subscription plan on April 5:

*   You will have 30 days of gameplay included with purchase of the game and you will not be charged for a subscription payment until May 5, immediately upon expiration of the 30 days.
  *  If you cancel your subscription at any time prior to May 5, you will not be charged for a subscription payment. You will continue to have access to the game until expiration of your 30 days included gameplay.
  *  If you cancel your subscription after May 5, say on June 9, you will be charged for the May and June 30-day billing cycles. After that you will not be charged for a subscription payment. You will continue to have access to the game until expiration of your 30-day June billing cycle.

We look forward to seeing you in Tamriel!
Emphasis added.

So if I understand that right the thing where people see the 30 days advance thing is part of the blanket zenimax agreement that is then modified by the agreement for ESO itself that says you can cancel at any time.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:07:18 am by Greiger »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »

the infuriating thing about all the bugs(especially the duping bug)...they WERE brought up during beta.  The response then from the devs were canned "thank you for your input, now kindly friggoff" responses, while the responses from the 'fans' was "beta is beta is beta".  This is the problem we're seeing more and more with internet communities...people don't like dealing with criticism, even when they need to hear it, so they create these echo chambers of like minded individuals while bullying anyone who disagrees with them(no matter how legitimate the claim) and dismissing anything they say by calling them trolls.

The worst of it is these 'fans' still drown out everyone who point out these glaring issues, further driving off those who want to see real improvement...and the developers stick beside the fluffers.  Matt Firor has been notorious for this so it's not so surprising.  Dude was a one hit wonder with DAoC, but hasn't justified why he keeps getting hired onto projects since.  He's got the Midas touch, just substitute gold for feces.

Sounds Like Final Fantasy 14 1.0 all over again.

Hopefully upper management will fire everyone sooner rather than later.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2014, 02:24:41 pm »

Hate to point it out but that was apparently a rumor.  They responded to somebody talking about that to say that it is not the case.

We would like to clear up some misinformation on the forums regarding cancellation of recurring subscriptions.

If you selected a recurring subscription payment method – such as a credit card – your card will not be charged until your 30 days of access included with the purchase of the game expire. If you cancel your subscription at any time before the expiration of your included 30 days, your card will not be charged.

Some forum users have noted language in the Terms of Service (TOS) requiring users to cancel 30 days prior to the end of the current subscription period in order to avoid continuing charges. However, the TOS also provide that a specific web service – such as ESO – can have different terms that will apply to that service. In the case of ESO, as clearly stated in the ESO store pages, you can cancel your subscription at any time.

So for someone who activated a 30-day recurring subscription plan on April 5:

*   You will have 30 days of gameplay included with purchase of the game and you will not be charged for a subscription payment until May 5, immediately upon expiration of the 30 days.
  *  If you cancel your subscription at any time prior to May 5, you will not be charged for a subscription payment. You will continue to have access to the game until expiration of your 30 days included gameplay.
  *  If you cancel your subscription after May 5, say on June 9, you will be charged for the May and June 30-day billing cycles. After that you will not be charged for a subscription payment. You will continue to have access to the game until expiration of your 30-day June billing cycle.

We look forward to seeing you in Tamriel!
Emphasis added.

So if I understand that right the thing where people see the 30 days advance thing is part of the blanket zenimax agreement that is then modified by the agreement for ESO itself that says you can cancel at any time.

Well that's good then, because hearing that really turned me off.  I want this to be a good game but saddly it seems to me instead of being that, it's just Matt Firor trying to regain what he once had with DAoC, with a subtext of telling us all we're dumb for not thinking Warhammer Online was worth it either.  He keeps trying to force the same thing into a different skin repeatedly.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2014, 02:58:58 pm »

There is some neat stuff in the game in my opinion.  The combat while not being unique to an elder scrolls game is pretty unique in a mmo, at least any I played. 

The PvP, while currently imbalanced as all hell, does have all the good stuff that I loved from GW2 WvW without the bullshit that was the extreme siege engine range.  (Woo I can treb bay keep from safely inside garrison, and I can mercilessly treb the east side spawn tower from hills keep.  Clearly these ranges were well thought out.)

The lore is still elder scrolls, which would be one of the more fleshed out worlds to try to build an mmo around, and I haven't been able to spot anything that directly contradicts established lore yet, but I haven't beaten the story yet, and also never really went book diving in any of the other games.

The crafting is what I've always wanted in a crafting system, and shows promise that crafting will always be useful since you can make a custom item of any rarity level given the right materials.  And not even in Guild Wars 2 did I find so much enjoyment in just wandering around.  Even on minimum settings the environments are beautiful.

It really feels to be that it could be a good game, maybe even great.  It just comes down to it needing a whole lot of polish to fix their big glaring problems, and with where their priorities seem to be at from appearances, it just doesn't seem to be a guarantee that they are interested in actually doing any of that polishing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:01:54 pm by Greiger »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »

My one major lore issue seems to be this Molag Bal Oblivion Crisis. They've got this thing going on, with Coldharbour instead of the Deadlands, waaay in the past, and then come Oblivion everyone acts like an Oblivion crisis is completely unprecedented.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31