Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60090 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2014, 03:44:07 am »

Wait, it's for recycling souls again? But I was told this was wrong. I just don't know any more.

Ugh. MK tried to say there are no more Loremasters, but it's all just as tangled as ever. I read through most of his stuff and I don't see how people get the conclusions they do out of it. And despite what he said about C0DA, no matter where I go, whether the UESP or reddit, there's always people telling me I'm wrong and asking how I possibly can't see it. I long ago ceased trying to defend my own interpretation of this stuff, because there's always something I've missed. It was fun at first, discovering new stuff and trying to piece it all together, but honestly some of this stuff is word salad to me, and the people who supposedly know what it means are rather condescending about it. And I can't critique MK on his writing, because then I just "don't get it." It's all the same as it ever was.

This is nothing against you Putnam, btw. I'm just venting my frustrations at trying to understand this mess.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2014, 04:04:04 am »

@Putnam: The Provisional House is exactly as physical as these forums on which we contemplate the nature underlying the Provisional House. I've never suggested otherwise.

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make with the rest of your post. I only brought up Baar Dau, etc. because if you're going to dismiss the accounts told within the Sermons as things attributable to a Not-Quite-The-Vivec-We-Know, then we have to dismiss a fair amount of the lore for things which are very real and observable. Granted, dismissing the Provisional House entirely means it can no longer be an example of breaking the fourth wall, but dismissing the Sermons means we have to re-investigate some fairly fundamental things like the destruction of Vvardenfell.

We do have a solid account in the first novel where the dreamsleeve briefly stores the memories of the recently deceased before the souls pass on to Aetherius, similarly to how deleted data lingers in some form before being overwritten and passing into human memory.

@HugoLuman: "Curiosity is an odd thing. It is a bright path surrounded by brambles." We can hope, however, that the Loremasters recognize what torture their amusements are, and quit being such obnoxious biters on the path to enlightenment.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2014, 08:22:32 am »

Stuff about first person missing

It was largely about immersion for me. It seemed awkward to miss when your sword clips through the model.

If they just put some dodge animations in or something, it probably would have helped a great deal. I remember NWN having dodge and parry animations.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2014, 09:31:16 am »

Personally I just think morrowind had a crap implementation. They probably should have gone with one way to miss or the other instead of doing both, and should have had better animation to indicate that the miss happened for a reason.

They did better in Fallout 3 I think - they still had both, they just stuffed them into their own compartments where the two did not meet, and I thought that worked well enough.

But morrowind punished you for being bad at fps's, and then as often as not made the work you put in to get better feel worthless, and did it in a way that just felt off.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2014, 11:07:05 am »

So... did anyone here know that M'iaq the Liar is in this game?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2014, 11:20:56 am »

Wait, it's for recycling souls again? But I was told this was wrong. I just don't know any more.

Ugh. MK tried to say there are no more Loremasters, but it's all just as tangled as ever. I read through most of his stuff and I don't see how people get the conclusions they do out of it. And despite what he said about C0DA, no matter where I go, whether the UESP or reddit, there's always people telling me I'm wrong and asking how I possibly can't see it. I long ago ceased trying to defend my own interpretation of this stuff, because there's always something I've missed. It was fun at first, discovering new stuff and trying to piece it all together, but honestly some of this stuff is word salad to me, and the people who supposedly know what it means are rather condescending about it. And I can't critique MK on his writing, because then I just "don't get it." It's all the same as it ever was.

This is nothing against you Putnam, btw. I'm just venting my frustrations at trying to understand this mess.

The Dreamsleeve thing is a clusterfuck, yeah. It was spread way bunch round /r/teslore that the Dreamsleeve was not for recycling souls until MK was like "nah man it does that too".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 05, 2014, 12:33:01 am »

So... did anyone here know that M'iaq the Liar is in this game?
Met him twice.  I recall somebody saying he's in all the starting areas.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:10 am »

This quest is called "The Waking Dreamer", a direct reference to the book from Dragonborn Waking Dreams of a Starless Sky, which appears to be a discourse on CHIM. The reward for completing the quest is called Discourse Amaranthine.

This is a direct reference to Amaranth/CHIM/Godhead in Elder Scrolls Online. Amaranth was a concept introduced in The Loveletter from the 5th Era and was expanded upon somewhat in C0DA.

The Loveletter and C0DA are, as far as I know, the only places other than comments from MK himself (wherein he revealed that the Amaranth who dreams Tamriel is Anu of the Anuad) that reference the Amaranth.

Excepting Elder Scrolls Online, of course.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2014, 12:04:49 am »

The duping bug in ESO is getting out of hand, especially since it's confirmed the bug has existed for months since beta. So much for buy-to-play model, subscription fees, and cash shop.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 18, 2014, 12:53:02 am »

Yeah, but it's entirely different between a single-player game and an MMO. Being able to dupe in a multiplayer game is a kiss of death, and they're idiots for not fixing it immediately.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 18, 2014, 11:01:10 am »

There are 100 things they don't seem interested in fixing.  I love the concept of the game but the way they are mishandling it is nearly infuriating.

* The game spikes the CPU to 100% and freezes up the whole computer for a few seconds when near too many players.(admittedly only some players have this issue, but it does not seem to be specs related, the devs have no idea of the cause, and said it would be fixed at launch back during beta, it's not)
* The infinite loading bug, most common in pvp zones.
* Random crashes with no apparent cause.
* Quests that bug up and block progress.
* Dungeons that bug up and block progress.
* The vampire and Werewolf skill lines are both pretty bug ridden from reports.
* Falling through the ground.
* Fishing is broken beyond belief, cooking recipes that used to use fish were removed for no clear reason, rare fish show up in the loot window but disappear before entering our inventory or rewarding a fishing achievement.  Bait bought from vendors costs more than any fish you can catch.
* Exploits giving you werewolf speed and stats permanently if you log out while werewolfed.
* Item duplication is rampant.

And then there's the stuff that aren't really bugs but annoying anyway.
* Bots hang out at the end of public dungeons farming the bosses making it difficult to get kill credit, and making the encounter pointless.
* The ignore list is maddeningly small.  2 weeks into launch and I already need to clear my ignore list every time I want to ignore a gold seller.
* The guild bank is completely half assed, lacking even simple features like an item search.
* The entire idea of a guild only trading system seems flawed.  In a gamewide auction house there's always people who need what yer selling.  In a guild auction house where at most 500 people can see what yer selling, demand for an item easily drops to 0 as the item is outleveled by guild members.
* Seemingly little interest in fixing bugs.  In a recent patch devs seemed more concerned that players could make a few hundred gold an hour gathering food ingredients cooking them, and vendoring them for a profit than any of the exploits.  Nerfing cooking into the ground.

I still think the game has potential, but if anyone is on the fence buying I would highly suggest holding out for a few months so they can fix this stuff.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:21:16 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2014, 12:05:26 pm »

I mean, nerfing entrepreneurship through cooking? That just seems wrong, if I get how you're phrasing it.

But yeah, item duping is a kinda bug that would immediately jump to the very top of the priority list no matter when and where it happened. If something like item duping happened in Team Fortress 2, it would be fixed within the hour because the Mannconomy is sirius bizns.

I actually considered getting this game just to play with a friend, but I'm glad I held out now...

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »

the infuriating thing about all the bugs(especially the duping bug)...they WERE brought up during beta.  The response then from the devs were canned "thank you for your input, now kindly friggoff" responses, while the responses from the 'fans' was "beta is beta is beta".  This is the problem we're seeing more and more with internet communities...people don't like dealing with criticism, even when they need to hear it, so they create these echo chambers of like minded individuals while bullying anyone who disagrees with them(no matter how legitimate the claim) and dismissing anything they say by calling them trolls.

The worst of it is these 'fans' still drown out everyone who point out these glaring issues, further driving off those who want to see real improvement...and the developers stick beside the fluffers.  Matt Firor has been notorious for this so it's not so surprising.  Dude was a one hit wonder with DAoC, but hasn't justified why he keeps getting hired onto projects since.  He's got the Midas touch, just substitute gold for feces.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2014, 09:14:22 pm »

ZOS is now a strong contender for 'most incompetent customer service ever'. Earlier today, they banned accounts implicated with the duping bug (the one they've known about since beta), but also apparently banned lots of possibly innocent accounts in the process. The forums exploded instantly, but it was a few hours before we got any official statement, and that was simply instructions on how to appeal a ban. Then they started banning accounts from the forums as well (forums can still be read without logging in). Those who have had any response from CS were told that they have no flags on their account, and that they should contact a different department via e-mail rather than the ticketing system. All of this is happening just in time for Easter weekend, so you have maximum irritation for legit players, and a minimum of CS reps working.

To make matters worse, since they require payment information before activating the 30 free days, anyone who paid with debit has already paid for their second month, despite the game only being two weeks old. Those who did this and were also banned have not received any indication that they'd be refunded for that second month. People are already challenging these charges with their banks.

As for the dupe bug, reportedly it's been fixed by removing functionality from the game. Meanwhile, there's a ludicrous problem with botters and gold spammers, yet there's been no statement or action by ZOS.

As much as I like the game itself, I find it hard to pay a monthly fee for a game that has CS quality on par with, or worse than, f2p games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »

Meanwhile, there's a ludicrous problem with botters and gold spammers, yet there's been no statement or action by ZOS

MMOs are an odd place.

While on one hand these things are very annoying and detrimental to the player experience... they do, however, bring money into an MMO.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31