Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60037 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

What really pains me is that I'm missing out on Argonia since Arena.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just know I won't be able to afford it at this time. Box price 60$ (45$ if you count the free month) , subscription 15$ a month and a cash shop?

I'm still not convinced they'll be able put out 4 Skyrims' worth of (quality) content per year.

The rule of thumb is NEVER buy a game with the idea that they are going to fix it later.

Base your purchase around what is in the game at launch without any idea that a single iota of content is going to be added later.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to watch.
This kinda seems like a pointless topic, since you're apparently not supposed to talk about the beta.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Frankly, that information is going to get out anyway. And regardless of that we can still discuss things like whether or not it sucks, or how much we feel it does/doesn't spit on previous elder scrolls games. :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

I think that as an mmo it'll be quality. As quality as LOTRO perhaps, but as a TES game it fails. I mean, where's the room for grand, sweeping adventure? Hm? and of course it can never deliver enough content equivalent to the mods of the previous games. I mean some hunting mods and skyrim: unbound turned skyrim into a whole different game. Where's the room for that kind of innovation in an mmo format?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Subscription and a cash shop?

Hark! Listen to my words, puny mortals, for I forsee small server populations. This is the word of Nobody, for the bird is the word.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

I just know I won't be able to afford it at this time. Box price 60$ (45$ if you count the free month) , subscription 15$ a month and a cash shop?

I'm still not convinced they'll be able put out 4 Skyrims' worth of (quality) content per year.
I'm convinced they won't.

Hark! Listen to my words, puny mortals, for I forsee small server populations. This is the word of Nobody, for the bird is the word.
All the cool kids are doing it. And desperately trying to tell everyone it's not PTW while doing their damndest to make it PTW so the cash shop is successful. It's like $120 a year per client isn't enough anymore.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

So, people have had a day or so to download it and manage to get onto the server. What's it like (in broad, general, non-disclosure agreement terms)? Are the servers holding up to opening day wobbles? Initial thoughts on the beta community? Anything really.

What's your basic first impressions after a few hours of gameplay?
It's a game. Have fun.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If anybody were in the Beta they wouldn't be able to comment without the NDA hammer coming down. Zenimax is being pretty strict about it.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah most closed Betas have a sort of hush order on them. The only ones I can think of that are the exception are ones where they SPECIFICALLY invite people to do approved play of their game AND ones where it is only closed because it would be too popular open (Like Hearthstone).

My rule of thumb is if you do not know, don't say anything.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could also just not try to exploit loopholes and respect the fact that they don't want information about the game out yet.
Personally, I think they shouldn't be trying to stop people from talking about it, but that's just my opinion.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

That's all MMOs now, sadly. The Subscription part usually lasts 6-12 months tops though before the gates open and I would probably bet good money on the same happening here if all the resources of EA and the biggest IP in the world couldn't hold out.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was pretty funny on Friday, people were streaming it on Twitch and there were just droves of bored people harassing the streamers until the channels were brought down, proceeding onto the next guys streams like a witch hunt.

I read through the NDA briefly and you aren't supposed to mention even getting accepted lol.

Pretty typical closed test though, maybe people got used to the closed testing from foreign ports?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

It's not a closed beta. It's an open beta with a NDA, which is something slightly different.

Did people use their bay12 names as user names for their beta keys? Are there any problems in saying "I thought the combat was alright, but needs a little fix-up with targetting.", or "Wow, there were a few server issues to begin with, but it was all sweet in few hours.", or "The community is alright. I hope when all the content is in we can really band together. Who wants to start a bay12 guild?".

When the hell did the inquisition come to bay12?
It was already here, with screws and nails and places you don't want them...... But geez..... I did say to couch it in non-agreement-breaking terms.

So what did some guy or girl who's a friend of a friend of your's think about the game? Did they say it was any good? 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:17:08 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

I'd say open beta is more like a released product, just one that's acknowledged as in an unfinished state. Since there's NDAs and legal loopholes that limit it an, I'd call this closed beta, just a particularly large closed beta.

I'm gonna wait, MMORPGs were never "my thing" so I wanna see how "Elder-Scrolls-y" the finished product is, and more importantly how little interaction with others can be had whilst still having fun, before investing any time :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:50:09 am by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31