Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Kalpa: A Game of Divinity  (Read 20764 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: Kalpa: A Game of Divinity
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2013, 05:31:48 pm »

Before the Fisher Idol, a brilliantly radiant gold wire appeared. At first it glowed harshly but quickly the light dimmed until the artifact seemed to be nothing more than a simple golden necklace. Neiden walked over to the the artifact and hesitantly grabbed it. A wave of warmth coursed through his body and he felt amazingly invigorated. Grabbing a nearby knife, Neiden lightly cut into his skin and watched with fascination at the wound almost immediately healed while leaving no mark. Hanging the Golden Wire around his neck, Neiden put on his usual garb and went out to test his even further improved abilities. Walking out, Neiden ordered the nearby guards to have the most talented, brave and loyal wounded soldiers brought to him. When a number of them had been brought, Neiden spread out his arms and his hands glowed brilliantly as all the wounded saw themselves miraculously cured of everything that ailed them while also strengthened far more then they had ever before in life. Neiden smiled and looked at them all as they praised him.

"Today, our God has seen fit to further improve my powers of healing. You brave ones who have valiantly spread the good will of our Lord and upheld the rightful customs are the first I have come to with my new gift as I wish you rewarded for your sacrifices and loyalty. You are all great warriors of the Children. Before you were disabled in the line of duty and some of you may have thought your lives were over. In a way they are for today I give you a new life. You shall be the first of the Holy Enforcers, my eyes, my ears and my hands. Through you, I hope to build a better more harmonious nation."

He then picked out the greatest among them, a great general and a masterful fighter.

"You will be my Voice. Are you prepared to devote yourself fully to me and bring about my will at all costs?"

The great warrior bowed reverently and nodded silently as if afraid to speak.

"Good, we have much to do. There are many dangerous factions gaining power in this world and I fear what should happen if we are not prepared to defend ourselves from them. Organize our lands so they are ordered, self sufficient and ready for anything."

Then Neiden called a meeting of the Blessed.

"No doubt you have noticed a loss of influence among the Blessed lately. I would have you all set about building temples in every town to the Fisher God. Encourage faith and regular prayer in the masses. Have sermons to raise spirits, faith and nationalism. Also put effort into improving things like roads, housing, trade and the like. The people will love you for it and the influence and respect will come accordingly."

Finally Neiden had a meeting with the Magi who worked for him.

"You Magi all have great gifts, I wonder if you would not like to have some sort of university to practice the arts you have been given?"

Use new healing powers to heal wounded soldiers that were very skilled and loyal to Neiden.
Have above mentioned soldiers form the Holy Enforcers; Neiden's eyes, ears and hands.
Appoint a leader of the Enforcers and order him to go about bringing further order, prosperity and unity to the land.
Have the Blessed set about building temples in every town to the Fisher God while encouraging faith and regular prayer in the masses. Have sermons to raise spirits, faith and nationalism. Also put effort into improving things like roads, housing, trade and the like.
Offer the Magi under Neiden a University to practice and refine their arts.
Keep the individuals most loyal to Neiden alive for as long as possible by repeatedly healing and invigorating them from time to time.

Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:07:07 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2013, 08:34:08 pm »

Teskort feels the energy from the extinction war course through his being. He had the power to make a difference, to do something, but to take an active part in the crusade against the end would be to step away from his role as nature god... which was something he was not willing to do.

The father of beasts clears his throat, and speaks loud in clear for all gods and ascendants to hear.

"I am Teskort, father of beasts and god of nature... And I have a proposition for anybody willing to take it.

Know this, the universe could be nearing its end. Our existences could cease at any moment, and there is little, if anything, that can be done about this; But I have recently come into a great reserve of power, and feel obligated to try regardless. I am, however, a savage being, useful for little but the construction of great beasts. Even if this power is enough to make a difference, I would not be the one to apply it correctly.

Therefore, I wish to use three acts to create the greatest sort of beast there is: A bound god. I am willing to bind any of my brother deities, or uplift any of their ascendants to a divine state, and all I ask of that who I bind is the following:

First: The bound shall renounce all previously held titles and responsibilities, and will accept the title of Lord Protector of the Endless Ocean. His or her job will be to research how to prevent the universes' end, or, in the likely event that isn't possible with the time and resources available, to see that himself and/or some other beings from this universe escape the destruction to pass his knowledge, so that they next world may have a chance of being saved.

Second: The bound shall agree to avoid involvement in partisan disputes between the other gods and their followers unless sorely provoked. I will weave this agreement into the bound's mind as part of the binding.

Third: The bound shall agree to never favor civilization over nature. He shall be allowed to favor nature, support an even balance, or avoid that dispute all together. I will weave this agreement into the bound's mind as part of the binding.

I do this as my responsibility to this universe, so that I may spend the rest of my time creating new species and supporting nature knowing that I have done my part for the futile greater cause as well.

Do I have any takers?"

Sol heard the booming voice. It was similar to the Sunfather's but different. As the god finished his proposal, Sol knew this was the miracle he had been waiting for. This is how he could avenge his brothers and sisters. He called out from his chamber, on his knees, eyes filled with a new hope he hadn't seen in millennium.

"I accept! Empower me, make me the Protector of this meaningless universe! Please, I need this. I need to know why this happens. I need to know how to stop this vicious cycle of meaningless life and death."

Accept Teskort's offer.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2013, 07:57:43 am »

Very well, I myself cannot bear the sight of a creature bound and action restrained. Where is fun in that?

With Zzdwi's help, free him. (1 act).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:20:33 am by Ardas »

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:33 am »

"I am afraid I cannot allow a creature of chaos like you to take the temple. Restraint yourself, or Judgement shall arrive sooner than expected."

Stop the Trickster from claiming the temple, and help any other god who wants to claim it. (1 act)
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2013, 10:37:03 am »

"So freedom is not good enough for you, eh? There appears to be little merit in keeping a being restrained and punish those that want to help it. Where is justice in that? What about judging a case on its own merits, taking evidence at face value? Those who spread problems and cause pain to both mortals and their creations have little claim to order if its tyranny they enforce. My rule is simple, one of chance and fortune. It favors none and is self-enforcing!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2013, 10:52:56 am »

"We agree with your values, but what is this rule you speak of? It sounds like one which feeds the strong on the lifeblood of the masses, giving power to those who take it by force or trickery."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2013, 11:04:49 am »

"Zzzz...zzzz...zzzz"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:19:34 pm by Ardas »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2013, 11:06:34 am »

"Irony? If you say so. And you are avoiding Our questions. What is the injustice you oppose, and how you you propose to fix it?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »

Justice is not good. Justice is not freedom. Justice is simply Justice. Do not forget that. I am not opposed to his freedom. I am only opposed to the lose of Balance, should you claim the temple.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »

"Tis' empty justice if it stands for naught. Justice and balance are far from two sides of the same coin as well, for how can you claim both when passing judgement?"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »

"Now, now, justice and balance are not incompatible. An eye for an eye is still justice. The question is if the balanced justice is the kind of justice you desire."
Sig

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2013, 06:09:46 pm »

Teskort, exhausted from his greatest act of creation yet (save perhaps the birth of the endless ocean), turns his attention to mortal affairs.

First he turns his attention to the Netminder Spiders. He did not regret his decision to make them stupid, but it was quickly becoming apparent that the 'civilized' corporate elements of Fisher society were exploiting his arachnids. He would need to see that they had leaders who understood the plight of the primitive fisher tribes.

"Spiders, your father has two new decrees to follow; First, you shall allow the children you give gifts to to milk your vennom, so that they may better defend themselves. Second, when the Elder Penguins come offering you leaders and wisemen, you are to accept."

Next he speaks to the Elder Penguins loyal to him. "When you walk among the Fisher's children, keep an eye out for those who are brave, loyal, and intelligent enough to go and live on the net wreaths and serve as wisemen to the Spiders. I will not see my beasts nor those who live simpily alongside them exploited."

The Beast Father then turns his attention to his wayward children, the Elder Penguins who abandoned his service over the war. "This is your creator, and I respect, almost admire, the choice you have made; The Teskort who escaped the last Kapla and made the endless ocean would not like the paranoid, cornered, and somewhat bloodthirsty beast I fear I am becoming.

I have recently made a new god by uplifting a mortal. He is named Raxxis and entitled the Lord Protector of the Endless Ocean. Raxxis will be a benevolent force dedicated to the maintenance of this universe, and he, like you, has recently distanced himself from his divine father. I hold no authority over you anymore, but I do suggest that you may find purpose and fulfillment in his service."

Lastly Teskort turns to the beasts he had set to fighting. "Know this; Your conflict was intended to be over quickly, so as not to cause extended harm to the universe. Soon I may have to decide the winner and end the loser myself. You are in the home stretch, fight with brutality and honor!"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:42 pm »

"I am afraid I cannot allow a creature of chaos like you to take the temple. Restraint yourself, or Judgement shall arrive sooner than expected."

Stop the Trickster from claiming the temple, and help any other god who wants to claim it. (1 act)

Justice is not good. Justice is not freedom. Justice is simply Justice. Do not forget that. I am not opposed to his freedom. I am only opposed to the lose of Balance, should you claim the temple.

Quote from: Liram
Zdwi, Zzwdi, you are only free when you remove the gauntlets, perhaps the hardest thing to sway in the universe right now, but when you remove those, you lose your powers, I didn't want to mortal wielder to attack the gods for good reason. If released you would attempt to gain power and destroy us all by becoming a god. I am ordering you to stop this insolence, I do believe and switch of the gauntlets is in order soon.

But I will have to claim this font, it is simply too alien for most of us gods to even look at, I'm of similar magnitude so I will take it.

Zzdwi speaks to the heavens as the argument rages above, its speech at first broken and then growing more practised.

Hear, spirit who stands in judgement.  Forgive, but can explain justice?  Confused.

If not good, if not free, what?  Is retribution?  A wrong committed, then answered?  If that, then slavery a wrong, for Zzdwi enslaved.  But if freedom not justice, all slavery permitted.  For gauntlets to remain in Liram's power, others to be enslaved, such power to remain.  So justice permits all slavery, if it not answer the wrong.  Is justice, then, choosing who should be slaves and who not?

Is justice prevention?  Prevent a wrong committed, so no answer required?  You argue spirit one of chaos, so not take temple.  Is not Liram of chaos?  Is not responsible for Kin, for other creatures of power, for twisting of many?  Is not responsible for gauntlets, for spirits trapped and turned?  Is not arrogant, saying he of greater magnitude than most, only he worthy to take temple?  Is not paranoid, believing one so small as Zzdwi a threat to
the entire universe?  To do justice, you prevent one chaos but actively support another.  Is justice, then, choosing which wrong you personally would rather see done?

Is justice restoring balance?  Was balance already?  Was world already perfect, without need for change?  A temple stood untaken, and you prevent its taking by one to prevent unbalance, yet freely permit its conquest by another no different aside from his existing past of slave-taking and corruption.  What choice have we, as mortals, who to worship and who to not, when gods can ordain our very hearts and souls?  Is justice, then, to enforce those you favour over any other considerations?

I demand of you, spirit who claims to be justice.  You have told me what justice is not.  It is not the freeing of slaves.  It is not the prevention of chaos and disaster.  It is not the right of mortals to determine their own choices.  What then is it?  What is
Justice?

[Edited for formatting.]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:33:41 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2013, 07:28:01 pm »

My gauntlets do come with a warning, but you appear to have disregarded it.
Crack-a-lack-a

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:49 am »

Balance is existance. The world is not perfect, as there is chaos. But it is. The actions of some might make it be for longer. Yet some others, willing or not, can make it shorter. Justice is about maintaining Balance, or destroying a world without balance so a new one can be born from the ashes.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17