Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39

Author Topic: «*MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches*» - Unofficial release  (Read 73276 times)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: «☼MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches☼» - Unofficial release
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2013, 06:49:27 pm »

I'm glad to say that the latest releases have all the raw headers fixed. This may have the side effects of returning fish to the seas, birds to the sky, and automatons to kicking your arse. ;)

Upgrading is definitely recommended if you're on a previous SWP release and you want all your civs to generate properly.

Thank you all so very much for helping track this down!

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2013, 07:00:28 pm »

You mod Dwarf Fortress raws. Lose 1d6 sanity.

Oh DF...

If I were to take a completely uneducated guess, if there's a lower-case string at the top of the file, then DF takes that as a header to check if the file has already been loaded, and won't load another file with the same header. This would allow one to copy creature_example.txt to 00-creature-example-hacks.txt, make changes, and and have them over-ride the original file. That might be useful during testing, or something.  So DF doesn't care what that line is, as long as it's there, and as long as it's unique.

This would be why all the headers with mismatched names (eg: frost_gaint) were working.

I'm guessing non-alphanumerics in the header confuses DF, causing it to produce worlds without goblins or happiness.

In any case, all the headers are standardized now, so I'm hoping we'll dodge any weird peculiarities which DF may have... o_O

Update:

You may have also noticed the file naming scheme - this is also important; files containing creatures have names starting with "creature_", entity file names must begin with "entity_", etc..

Oh my. It's almost as if modding DF has as steep a learning curve as the UI.

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2013, 07:36:46 pm »

btw, even if the file is creature_example.txt, the header can be creature_asdf, as long as creature_ is in it. You gotta love random rules of a made up programming language, without any feedback/errorlog. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »

btw, even if the file is creature_example.txt, the header can be creature_asdf, as long as creature_ is in it. You gotta love random rules of a made up programming language, without any feedback/errorlog. ;)

Ugnf.

Well, I guess that explains why mods need so many files. I always wondered why people didn't just put their entities, items, reactions, buildings, and other information into a single file for each race.

~ T

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2013, 09:02:13 pm »

Because that would be horrible.

Seriously, I think Masterwork has bad enough organization with these annoying "reaction_masterwork"-type files that are over a megabyte in size.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2013, 09:21:10 pm »

Yup, there is no system to my system at all. Comes from working for two years on something you dont know anything about (its my first mod, after all), and incorporating things from 3 dozen authors. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2013, 10:59:23 pm »

While not directly related to SWP directly, I seem to have some ideas about how orcs should work. If anyone cares to give me feedback in that thread, I would definitely appreciate it. :)

~ T

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2013, 08:35:39 am »

Truly, this is some masterful bug smashing.

I'm still looking for what is going on with wood and the phoebus tileset on my end.  No joy yet.

fasquardon

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 22, 2013, 09:41:31 am »

Truly, this is some masterful bug smashing.

Truly you flatter me. ;)

I'm still looking for what is going on with wood and the phoebus tileset on my end.  No joy yet.

I spent a good couple of hours trying to figure that out last night, and it had me stumped. I don't even see how DF could think that frozen boozebelly rum would make a sensible drink choice.  (I never checked to see if Dwarves have the same problem. If they *don't*, then I'm even more confused...)

Here is a complete diff of all changes to the Phoebus raws between 4e and the current release of master. Lines starting with a minus were removed, those adding with a plus were adding, and everything else is either context (which wasn't changed) or indicates where in the file the changes were made (lines starting with @@, +++ and ---).  I can't spot anything that would cause the boozebelly bug, and certainly nothing that is unique to phoebus.  (We do change some wood templates right down the end, but we change them to work the same way as the Masterwork tilesets.)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #281 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:12 pm »

Could you please tell me what exactly is this boozebelly wood bug in Phoebus?

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 22, 2013, 12:40:49 pm »

Quote from: Meph
Could you please tell me what exactly is this boozebelly wood bug in Phoebus?

Sure! It's this:

Using the phoebus tileset, there seems to be a problem with wood.  Taiga orcs can only get frozen boozebelly rum logs, and kobolds can only get frozen boozebelly rum logs and poison glass logs.

It doesn't exist in 4e. It *does* exist in SWP (all branches, at least when I tested it yesterday), and it seems particularly odd because it doesn't affect the default masterwork tileset, nor Spacefox, but it definitely shows up in Phoebus. (I haven't tested any other tilesets). I'm completely stumped as to why it occurs.

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #283 on: December 22, 2013, 12:56:18 pm »

Just run the phoebus set, and check the errorlog for DUPLICATE, thats probably the cause.

EDIT: There you go:

Duplicate Object: plant DOWNY GRASS3
Duplicate Object: plant BUBBLE BULBS2
Duplicate Object: plant WORMY TENDRILS4
Duplicate Object: plant DOWNY GRASS
Duplicate Object: plant BUBBLE BULBS

Phoebus has duplicate plants in the grass file, which results in plant materials shifting, getting odd wood, and probably drinks as well. Simple fix, delete the duplicates. They are all in plant_grasses.txt. I would do it myself, but then I'd have to learn Github. :P

Sorry for your "good couple of hours". If you have problems finding out why is something doing what, rather write me a message. Rather waste a bit of my time, than wasting a lot of yours. ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:12:06 pm by Meph »

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:16 pm »

Just run the phoebus set, and check the errorlog for DUPLICATE, thats probably the cause.

Oh my goodness, that's it? I never would have expected duplicates to result in this sort of behaviour!

But I know exactly what the problem is, so fixing now. Thank you so much! <3

~ T
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39