Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39

Author Topic: «*MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches*» - Unofficial release  (Read 73253 times)

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: «☼MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches☼» - Unofficial release
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2013, 05:28:05 am »

Using the phoebus tileset, there seems to be a problem with wood.  Taiga orcs can only get frozen boozebelly rum logs, and kobolds can only get frozen boozebelly rub logs and poison glass logs.

fasquardon

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2013, 07:59:49 am »

Using the phoebus tileset, there seems to be a problem with wood.  Taiga orcs can only get frozen boozebelly rum logs, and kobolds can only get frozen boozebelly rub logs and poison glass logs.

So I'm surprised to say this, but I can totally reproduce this problem. Trying to track it down now...

Edits:

* Doesn't happen with MW 4e
* Doesn't happen with Masterwork tileset (any release)
* DOES happen with Phoebus in master and unified
* Tested with both Geomagic and Gaia worlds
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:00:48 am by Urist McTeellox »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2013, 09:00:27 am »

I did have it on from before worldgen and created 5+ worlds without any mention of goblins in the exported files or legends. Will try the new one later.

By the way I remember there was used to be an option to reduce the amount of stones dropped when mining and had replaced some with rubble. I want to avoid that one but can't see it, did it get removed or is it part of the simple stones?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:31:35 am by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2013, 09:56:26 am »

This seems to have me stumped for the moment. If I understand correctly, all the wood types are in plant_standard.txt . We *have* changed polished wood and smooth wood in the phoebus tileset to use [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE] (instead of the fair wood and smooth wood templates), but that's because the *Masterwork* tilesets use that template, and they seem to be working fine.

Theories, suggestions, and insights welcome. Dwarf Fortress unfortunately doesn't make it easy to do automated testing on this sort of thing, otherwise I'd just be using `git bisect` and making myself a coffee while my tools figure it out.

Quote from: snelg
Just downloaded the "The 'unified' branch (recommended)" and generated a world. Maybe I've missed something but for some reason there's no goblins. I activated them in the settings (they were deactivated by default).

Aha! I know what's going on here! The new settings program added a number of new entity_*.txt files, but not all of them include [OBJECT:ENTITY] at the start, which appears to be needed for them to be processed correctly. Goblins are one of those. Let me fix that now. :)

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2013, 10:05:34 am »

I did have it on from before worldgen and created 5+ worlds without any mention of goblins in the exported files or legends. Will try the new one later.

Rejoice! Missing goblins, gremlins, kobolds and antmen has been fixed.  (Although if you can confirm that fix works, I'll be delighted!)

By the way I remember there was used to be an option to reduce the amount of stones dropped when mining and had replaced some with rubble. I want to avoid that one but can't see it, did it get removed or is it part of the simple stones?

That's not something I've changed or played with, so I'll have to look at Meph and/or Splinterz for this one.

~ T

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2013, 10:16:42 am »

Thanks Urist for the quick answers! And yeah, I haven't played the last couple of versions so it's possible something got changed there. found this in the changelog for 3i so maybe I need not worry.
- Disabled "less solid stones" by default. Chalk, Sandstone, Mudstone and similar previously evaporating stones give solid rock again. You can still find rubble however, which only leaves dust.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2013, 10:44:31 am »

This seems to have me stumped for the moment. If I understand correctly, all the wood types are in plant_standard.txt . We *have* changed polished wood and smooth wood in the phoebus tileset to use [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE] (instead of the fair wood and smooth wood templates), but that's because the *Masterwork* tilesets use that template, and they seem to be working fine.

Theories, suggestions, and insights welcome. Dwarf Fortress unfortunately doesn't make it easy to do automated testing on this sort of thing, otherwise I'd just be using `git bisect` and making myself a coffee while my tools figure it out.

Quote from: snelg
Just downloaded the "The 'unified' branch (recommended)" and generated a world. Maybe I've missed something but for some reason there's no goblins. I activated them in the settings (they were deactivated by default).

Aha! I know what's going on here! The new settings program added a number of new entity_*.txt files, but not all of them include [OBJECT:ENTITY] at the start, which appears to be needed for them to be processed correctly. Goblins are one of those. Let me fix that now. :)

~ T

whoops, my mistake! i guess i missed those when i split them into their own files (this is why i don't mod raws :P)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2013, 10:52:31 am »

So Spacefox works fine for orcs and wood. I'm *very* confused if this is a Phoebus only bug. My orc materials seemed to have a few weird things I haven't seen elsewhere.

Also, despite my recent changes, I still can't get goblins, antmen, gremlins and kobolds to exist. So while adding [OBJECT:ENTITY] I think was required for these files, clearly there's something I'm missing, but I have no idea what it is. :/

Alas, it's almost 3am in my local timezone, so I'm going to file both of these as bugs and get some shuteye. Any insights definitely appreciated! (And if anyone can get goblins/antmen/gremlins/kobolds to gen with the latest files, do let me know!)

~ T

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2013, 11:54:51 am »

I tried activateing all the races in the new download I did just now. Still no goblins based on the history and population files.
   9597 Gnomes
   11516 Kobolds
   6033 Orcs
   1 Automaton
   7009 Drows
   4859 Frost giant
   11619 Warlocks
   16417 Chaos dwarves
   5638 Human bandits
   2776 Elf ashlanders
   8938 Deep drows
   3029 The Mighty Dwarven Legion
   16112 Taiga orcs
   17154 Dwarves
   7956 Humans
   4046 Elves

Total: 132700
Also are cutebolds showing up as kobolds? First time I try adding them in there and that's a lot of kobolds.
There's "Goblin men" in the animal populations and two instances of "gremlins" there as well as "fisher gremlins" in various other races towns. Not sure if that means something.

The_Force

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »

I've found a possible fix, you need to add entity_goblin to the top of entity_goblin.txt.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2013, 03:39:18 pm »

I've found a possible fix, you need to add entity_goblin to the top of entity_goblin.txt.

yes that's the solution. the file's name needs to be at the top of the file (ie. entity_goblin on the very first line in the entity_goblin.txt). this applies to the entity file for goblin, antmen, gremlins and kobolds.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:47:58 pm by splinterz »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2013, 04:23:22 pm »

Genned a new world and that seemed to have done the trick, thanks.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2013, 05:44:43 pm »

Oh my goodness. I love you!

I never would have spotted this. Since DF ignores everything outside of square-brackets in every other place in the file, I never would have expected it to care to treat the first line differently.

Fixed in all branches (thanks splinterz!)

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2013, 06:08:31 pm »

Rejoice! For now that we know what raw files must begin with their name, we can write code to automatically check them for us! :)

Here's a list of things which look suspect. I don't know if having a .txt at the end of the file header is benign of not, but we can explain our lack of automatons possibly with them having an 'entity__automaton' header (two underscores).

Both creature_large_temperature and creature_birds_new are in here because they start with UTF-8 byte order marks. I *never* would have spotted them by hand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: This is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:20:54 pm by Urist McTeellox »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2013, 06:47:53 pm »

Rejoice! For now that we know what raw files must begin with their name, we can write code to automatically check them for us! :)

Here's a list of things which look suspect. I don't know if having a .txt at the end of the file header is benign of not, but we can explain our lack of automatons possibly with them having an 'entity__automaton' header (two underscores).

Both creature_large_temperature and creature_birds_new are in here because they start with UTF-8 byte order marks. I *never* would have spotted them by hand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: This is awesome.

it's doing something pretty strange when it reads those files. i tested out messing around with the goblins:

doing this was just fine:
asdfasdfasdf

YESGOBLIN[OBJECT:ENTITY]

this was also fine:
entity__goblin

YESGOBLIN[OBJECT:ENTITY]

this is also ok:
[OBJECT:ENTITY]

putting YESGOBLIN[OBJECT:ENTITY] on the second or third line did not work. putting it at the very front of the file also did not work.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:49:25 pm by splinterz »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39