Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1127566 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Somebody set up us the bomb
« Reply #2655 on: September 25, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »

"What I mean there is, this isn't actually some fixture of the landscape we've found ourselves in. As in, we're not just misdirected by magic. We may very well be standing in magic right now. Place might have materialized around us out of thin air, and the thin air materialized by some other method, you catch my meaning?"

As a side note, what can I smell on Zechariah, exactly?
"Well, yes, but it certainly does not seem like Darkstar anticipated this. In fact, he seem somewhat worried. Whether this place is composed of magic or not, it's certainly not a known place, so I'll treat it like I have no idea what this place is.

Which, for all intents and purposes, is true."

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: September 25, 2014, 01:28:20 pm »

"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2657 on: September 25, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »

Survival

>Find my pole arm and find an safe exit
((Yeah, just have us post team names on top of our posts like in the clusterflup missions in ER))

((I was considering doing this anyway.  Time to make it official.
That said, should we use underline to prevent confusion with bolding posts that don't have actions in them?))

Survival

"Oops?"

Keep shooting them!  If ammo's gone, summon up another magazine and reload/fire.
((Eh, anything visible/understandable should work.))
Saevus, Survival

Thrust my mighty spear into Mr. Red. Repeatedly. Pull him in range if needed. If Mr. Red is too far to be pulled back into melee, attempt to fire my weapon (by pushing it, ofc) in his direction.

((The double entendres cannot be stopped anymore. I should've summoned a sword.))
I dunno, I think spears are more to the point concerning those kinds of things.
Survival
This place is a bit weird for my tastes.  Don't think I'm going to miss it much.
Check stomach, then if I am actually not on fire off a wave of force, starting past my allies, towards the other beings.  If I am in fact on fire, put that out.  Oh, yeah, stand up.
You are not on fire. I'm assuming you don't want to take your clothes off in the middle of the fight to check what is going on.
I always found the Ganglion very funny-sounding. Not sure why.
Survival

What?

Now that I am free, flip a table at them for killing my boss. He was like a father to me
Before anyone else has a chance to even comprehend what is going on, Lioraw jumps to his feet and does the most sensible thing: He runs away from what is sure to be a giant clusterfun as fast as humanly possible. He opens the door and gets out of the room right as the "fireworks" start. He finds himself in the corridor leading to the elevators. His interface beeps and its screen lights up orange.
<Escape the building. Escape. Survive.>

Back in the meeting room, Blue is the next to recover, hitting Saevus square in the chest. Despite Saevus' weight, the punch manages to throw him back with great speed and embed him in the wall behind him. Okay, note to self, stay away from that guy.

White makes an upward slash towards Red with his scimitar but Red takes a step back and gets out of the way, retaliating with a punch that clips White and causes him some pain but not much damage.

John empties the clip of his tommygun at Red and manages to get some good hits in. Although he doesn't hit anything vital, the many shots have caused moderate bleeding.

Rune somehow manages to tie his snake body into a knot. Not sure how he managed to do that.

Ron runs towards the table and tries to throw it to the two men. It takes him some time to get there and the throw itself is a rather "meh" kind of throw though. Still, he manages to hit Blue with it (Red and White have already seen it coming and gotten out of the way) and traps him under it, at least temporarily.

Bryan kneels and focuses on using his power on their enemies, creating a wave of force that pushes them away from the group and pins them to the ground. For now, at least.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: September 25, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »

"Ssssssscrew thissssssss!"

Bite several of my allies, before transforming into a tiny cockroach, and scuttling away.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:37:26 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: September 25, 2014, 05:31:40 pm »

"Splendid! Foes that are able to force me back! Sadly, engaging ye here without assistance would be folly."

Charge at Blue and impale him! Pull him into my attacks if needed. When attacked, push the blow away. If "Rune" attempts to bite me, push him into a wall/the ground.

Unless my allies retreat. They're retreating. I will follow John. He looks kind of squishy. If Lioraw is going in the same direction, and he didn't find his weapon - summon him a halberd.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:49:36 am by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: September 25, 2014, 06:21:03 pm »

Campaign

Hey, I'm still waiting for Harry's response.
Flip, uh..

A B A B < < < > > START START

...Dammit.
((XD
Someone should summon up a GBA set with Contra :P
Also sorry. Timezones.

Paris: Does my character smell the same sensations as the rest?))

PFP - will make action post later

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: September 25, 2014, 06:44:45 pm »

Survival
That went remarkably well.
"Excellent.  Time to go before the tide changes."
Let's beat it, I don't want to face those things.  As I head out, try to grab something to use as a weapon.  Activate psychic radar and try to head after Lioraw
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2662 on: September 25, 2014, 06:51:49 pm »

Campaign

Hey, I'm still waiting for Harry's response.
Flip, uh..

A B A B < < < > > START START

...Dammit.
((XD
Someone should summon up a GBA set with Contra :P
Also sorry. Timezones.

Paris: Does my character smell the same sensations as the rest?))

PFP - will make action post later
No need to apologise.

You can smell the same as the rest, except for Ike (Harry Baldman) who has a lot more sensitive nose. Your sense of smell is slightly better than the one the average human has, but it doesn't make much of a difference except in awareness rolls used in very specific circumstances.

And I don't think there should be anything interesting for you to smell in the area you are currently in.

Well, there will be next turn, based on the turn as I've written it so far, but I don't think you'd like smelling that.

I'll go to sleep now, write the rest of the turn tomorrow.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Nothing like the brochure
« Reply #2663 on: September 26, 2014, 06:01:41 pm »

Campaign

Nikolai: Campaign

Go back inside. This world isn't much nicer than my homeworld.
Put the sling and a few small rocks in my pocket. Put the knife in my belt.
Find River and go talk to him.

"Was there something wrong with the teleporter? Because if it's broken, or just not powerful enough I can help you."
Let's assume you already have that knife on your belt, since you have used it before.

You put a couple of rocks in each pocket, get up and wear your backpack.
"This is nothing like the brochure." you grunt as you take one final look at the scenery before you turn around and start walking towards the door.

You notice the pitch of the wind around you change and hear a faint whistling added to it, coming from somewhere behind you.
Before you can contemplate what that means, something cold and soft gets wrapped around your neck, pulling you off balance, strangling you. You can see about three dozen thin yellow things wrapping themselves around your arms, legs and chest, their point of origin somewhere behind you. About a dozen of them go for the pendant hanging around your neck, wrapping themselves around it until it is no longer visible.
"Ack- K- This is definitely- K- Nothing like- the- K- Brochure!"

((You can not contact your teammates via telepathy. And they cannot see you or hear you.
I was really hoping one of you would do that, going outside on his/her own without asking what this place is. And luck helped me make this worse with your many failed awareness rolls.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to provide tense life-or-death situations.))

Campaign

Alan tries this mind talking thing that seems so popular with the kids nowadays.

<AHEM. DO YOU NEED ANY HELP, BROOK?>
((I know it is not important in your case, but I just wanted to clarify something in case it becomes relevant in the future. Unless someone specifically states that they are telepathically communicating with someone privately (with something like "Private communication with <name>:" or "From now on, I want my conversation with <name> to be private," or something similarly visible), I assume they are talking to everyone, like in a radio. Just something for everyone to know about in the future. So now everyone knows you can't remember your companion's name.))

<Not unless you are willing to rid me of the distraction of heat-pain by allowing me to use your body and mind. But thanks for the offer.>

There is a flash of light from the corridor Ike and Zechariah went, followed by a bang.
Oh, good! Fireworks!
Wait, why is it so hot in here all of the sudden?

Irine, Campaign

Restless and unable to help, I pace back and forth near the door.
There's nothing here for me to burn to generate a seed-flame, and I don't want to burn any of the stuff I brought with me. And I'm not sure that I even need to be ready for a fight. River seems to understand where we are and isn't that worried, is he? Though he does keep stopping to check for danger...

I pause a take some time to breathe.

So, I've thought it through and my best action right now is no action, right? calm down already and just wait. what will come, will come.

I set my pack on the ground by the wall, a moderate distance from the door, then lie down using it as a pillow, my side against the wall where I can feel it and my head facing the door, rest, and wait.
You sit down near the door and try to relax.

Tiruin
River keeps walking towards the glowing rods. He extends his hands to touch two of the shortest ones. The moment he touches them, he yelps and quickly retracts his hands, as if he was burnt.

He takes a few seconds to slow his breathing and presumably prepare his mind. Then he closes his eyes and grabs the two rods again.

This time he keeps his fingers wrapped around them and only emits a small quiet growl. His entire body is tense and trembling slightly.

Campaign

Zechariah quietly goes into Ike's view, trying to get his attention now.
"Hey. Did you find anything about the windows, or the surrounding area? I don't really have that great of senses."

"Exhibit A: the place smells like nothing at all, which is a refreshing and very telling turn of events. There's probably some magical fuckery at work here, if it wasn't already apparent, as evidenced by Exhibit B: glass door or window with solid shadows behind it. Definitely either monsters or liquid, coalesced, unadulterated evil in there, I'm sure. Let's check."

Open the door while standing off to the side from it. Click tongue and listen to try and echolocate shit behind that door. If that doesn't work, stare into the abyss and hope to win the contest that ensues.
You touch the door and it disappears like a bubble popping in slow motion.

Echolocation doesn't work that well. You can sense the floor further than you can see it. but that's not saying much. Still, there is something strange about that darkness. It feels sort of solid, kinda like a cloud. Like it is absorbing most of your sound, only reflecting a very small fraction of it. And it seems to be vibrating, slightly.

As for staring, it's just darkness. Not one to give up easily, you keep staring.
After a while, you start making funny faces to see if the darkness will react, but to no avail.

"Well, the least I would have assumed is that there was some dark magic at play here," Zechariah muttered. "Darkstar didn't seem to happy about ending up here, and I doubt that he just took a wrong turn on the inter-universal highway."

Wow, he thought to himself. A joke. Impressive, slight as it may be, for someone who's gloomy all the time.

"So, shadows, you say?" Zechariah echoed. "Let me see if that's the case."

Once Ike opens the door, use my staff to see if I can manipulate the shadows inside. If not, report this to Ike. If so, clear the shadows out of the way and try to see what's beyond this door.

You take a page out of the old testament, take a step into the room, tap the staff on the floor a few times and focus on parting the sea of shadow. It's working, slowly. You're not really sure if the speed is normal, considering shadow should not behave like that. Then again, River did say your powers may work a bit differently here.

The shadow-free corridor extends in front of you, allowing the dim light coming from behind you to reach it. Yet it reveals nothing interesting. Just more grey floor and a dome ceiling. Until...

Ike senses something is wrong a few moments before you do. He tries to warn you but you're a bit too focused on what you're doing to realize what he is saying in time for you to stop.

A moment before it happens, you hear what sounds like the heartbeat of a mouse, loud bass noises one after the other, magnified enough to become deafening. You feel pressure in your ears. You feel the temperature rising. The darkness in front of you becomes grey before the final part of it parts and you can see what lies beyond it clearly.

For a tiny fraction of a second, you see a point of infinite, pure darkness, warping light around it so much that you can see very distorted mirror images of yourself looking back at you with a surprised look on their faces. You stop using your ability and begin to turn around, but by then it's too late. There's a flash of light that blinds you and burns your face, accompanied by a bang loud enough to cause your ears to ring.

You let yourself fall backwards, through the door, following the flow of the blast-wave. The darkness quickly fills up the gap you created, returning the room to its previous dark state. A moment later, the door reforms.

You are lying on the ground, in pain and part of your face and clothes has been burnt, but you have sustained no life threatening injuries.

((Since it seems I'm putting irrelevant fragments in everyone's posts, I'd just like to say that I consider you have your wings concealed under your clothes. While someone looking would probably notice a small difference, it shouldn't be something noticeable by casual observation. If you think you would had changed that before leaving the staging area like Irene did, then say so.))

"Well, the least I would have assumed is that there was some dark magic at play here," Zechariah muttered. "Darkstar didn't seem to happy about ending up here, and I doubt that he just took a wrong turn on the inter-universal highway."

Wow, he thought to himself. A joke. Impressive, slight as it may be, for someone who's gloomy all the time.

"What I mean there is, this isn't actually some fixture of the landscape we've found ourselves in. As in, we're not just misdirected by magic. We may very well be standing in magic right now. Place might have materialized around us out of thin air, and the thin air materialized by some other method, you catch my meaning?"

As a side note, what can I smell on Zechariah, exactly?
I could make a joke here, but I won't.

On the bright side, you saw that coming, so you got to cover in time. That means you got a good idea about the centre of the room. Which isn't much. It's just that... hole... distortion... flashing... loud... thing over a pit. Said pit is surrounded by 8 things rising out of the floor that are curled around the strange thing like a dead spider's legs. Unless they aren't bent and that thing is distorting your perception of space even more than you thought.

And those upgrades seem to be working well too. You still feel a bit of pain, but not nearly as much as you think Zechariah is feeling right now, judging from his reaction. Superb! ... if it wasn't for your teammate lying on the floor there, looking more and more like Two-Face.

He smells the standard human male smell but his own. I can't explain it very well, I think most human languages don't tend to have many words that can be used to describe smell. Probably because most of us don't have a good sense of smell.

He smells like human, but his unique blend of human. Much like how all beers are alike yet different.

Other than that, not much. Wood from his staff, bit of clothes, bit of sweat, bit of blood, bit of burnt flesh and hair. A few other smells he carried over from the staging area that are slowly fading, like trampled plants and dirt.

I'm not really sure about his wings. I think they should probably smell something different. Even though they are partly magical, they should have some biological components, so that should make his smell even more unique and easy to recognize. But I have even less capacity of describing how that should smell.

Map: http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/parisbre56/map2_zps162ab27b.png
River (NPC) -> Black
Theri (Tiruin) -> Turquoise
Irene (Lenglon) -> Orange
Zechariah (DarkArtemisFowl) -> Light turquoise
Ike (Harry Baldman) -> Pink
Alan (Xantalos) -> Red
Nikolai (NAV) -> Green

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: September 26, 2014, 06:38:43 pm »

This shouldn't be too hard, Zechariah thought to himself. This is just the entrance. Hell, we don't even know if this place is hostile yet. I doubt anything would pop up this ear-

"DAMMIT-"
And then the flash.

Somewhere, sometime in another universe, Artemis has a smile on his face. He knew that Zechariah would never give up his stupidity, and he was right - even if he did not know it right now.
And Zechariah hated himself for that fact.

Blurriness. Ringing in his ears. Pain throughout his body, centered in his face. And no idea what just happened.
These things are no stranger to Zechariah, unfortunately.

Do a cursory check of myself. How bad are the injuries? If I can move, get myself out of the way and into a safer place - maybe around the other corridor where the others went.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: September 26, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »

Campaign

Ah man, don't tell me the AC's broke on this thing!

Summon a handheld electric fan and try to cool myself off with it while heading left (on the map, toward where Ike and Z...Zak...Zab...Zanzibar are).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:00:28 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:34 pm »

Survival

John's not in the mood today.  "Let's get out of here!"

Get out of there!  Summon a Kevlar vest on me while I'm at it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: September 26, 2014, 07:52:20 pm »

((I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.))

Nikolai: Campaign
"Get off!"
The monster is behind me. My backpack full of rocks is behind me. Tsar the backpack to either crush it or get it off.
Try to get my knife in hand and hack at it.
Most importantly, escape and run back inside. Leave the bag if I have to.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:35 pm »

Irine, campaign

Upon noticing River burn himself, I speak up.
"Do you want me to do that? Fire doesn't... well, shouldn't, anyway, hurt me."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2669 on: September 26, 2014, 08:44:20 pm »

Irine, campaign

Upon noticing River burn himself, I speak up.
"Do you want me to do that? Fire doesn't... well, shouldn't, anyway, hurt me."
"I would need to show you. What to do. Inside your mind. Will you let me?"
He speaks without moving much or opening his eyes, more focused on what he is doing than you.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 521