Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1127433 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Somebody set up us the bomb
« Reply #2640 on: September 22, 2014, 02:26:18 pm »

Nikolai: Campaign

Craft a sling(weapon) out of cloth. Quickly open the door, grab a few rocks, then close the door.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2641 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:57 pm »

Campaign

I've started keeping a map for you guys for quick reference.
You can find the most current version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5byl5jid29fbc4/map.png?dl=0
Current map posted here for posterity: http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/parisbre56/map_zpsc4eed427.png
I think it's pretty self explanatory, but feel free to ask any questions. Character colours are:
River (NPC) -> Black
Theri (Tiruin) -> Turquoise
Irene (Lenglon) -> Orange
Zechariah (DarkArtemisFowl) -> Light turquoise
Ike (Harry Baldman) -> Pink
Alan (Xantalos) -> Red
Nikolai (NAV) -> Green

Irine, Campaign

I follow River, but don't get too close, giving him the space he seems to want from me.
You stay a few feet behind River and Theri as they move and whisper to each other.

((*YAY*))

Campaign
> Examine surroundings.

Theri pouted, and memories of her own life hit her like a flowing river. Calm, yet making you very much aware of where you stand.
And she had a choice.

"River," she said, tapping him lightly on the arm, "I really doubt that she's the type of person who uses others...or even hurts others out of her own volition. And by that, I mean I doubt she looks at others as objects rather than...erm, people, to...um, be used."

Putting stresses on words her thoughts mixed up on, yet failed at the moment to produce the needed word was the best hint she could give as to her intent. "She...really doesn'-...isn't that kind of person who returns hate with hate."

"I can see it in her person." Theri glanced at where Irine was, before looking back at River. "What caused that idea though? It's like you're focused on something in particular?"
"It is... the way I feel about the way she acts. The way I think, my instincts, my..."
He searches for the right word for a moment.
"My memories. What she reminds me of. Reminds me of people like her. And the memory is bad."
He remains silent for a couple of seconds before he turns around and starts walking towards the door again.
"Maybe... maybe you're right. Maybe I just need some time to see that she is different."
"But what I see is telling me not to trust her." he adds a few seconds later.

"Stop." he growls and raises his arm to block your progress and make sure you stay behind him.
He takes a few more steps forward, takes a deep breath and holds it.
"Disrupted. Not good." he says mostly to himself.
After a few seconds, he exhales, closes his eyes, leans downwards and starts panting.

Once he has caught his breath he stands upright and turns to face you.
"Okay, it is safe, you can come."
With that, he walks forward and touches the glass door. It bursts like a bubble in slow motion and disappears. That done, he goes through the doorway to the next room.

The room beyond is as large as the one you were before and carved out of the same grey marble-like material. It too lacks any sort of decoration, seam, window or detail. It is semi-circular and its ceiling is made out of a single half-dome
There is a semicircle of stairs in front of you leading higher up.
Up the stairs is semicircle of brightly glowing rods rising out of the ground, each with a different height. The ones closest to you are no higher than your abdomen, but the ones near the back are much higher, some of them almost reaching the ceiling.
Every once in a while, a rod dims and emits a low pitched hum. Each rod emits a sound with a slightly different pitch. That results in something that could be called a melody, albeit a very discordant one, one lacking any sort of beat or tempo.

River keeps walking towards the rods without stopping.

((If you want a description of the previous room, see Ike's turn.))

Campaign
Go ahead and examine the windows further. I'm not yet satisfied.

((Gah! You're too fast for me, Paris! I only have so many minutes in the school day to read up on this!))
You follow Ike and see what he sees, but don't hear what he hears.

((Sorry man, but this is going to be my last (or second to last, depending on how things go) year in university, so I am assuming I am going to be very busy, writing my thesis and all. So the more I write now, the better I can make up for any future delays.))

Campaign

"And here I was thinking this would happen as described. Thank goodness my fears were unfounded."

First of all, close my eyes and click my tongue a few times and get a feel for the room and the objects within, then listen without clicking for any presences in the air. Walk around a little bit.

Then smell the air. What can I discern?

Then check out the two unopened doors if the haven't been already checked. Listen for anything interesting in their vicinity, and try opening them a crack (while standing off to the side) if possible, check for smells and sounds when doors are opened if applicable.

River stops and turns to face you. He looks down and whispers this to you.
"I know she does not want to hurt me but I am afraid that she may want to use me. I am afraid of what she may ask of me. That she may try to make me hurt the ones I care about. I am afraid that she may try to hurt me if she thinks it would be 'right'. I am afraid that she will hate me if she does not already. I don't want that to happen. So I prefer to not talk to her."

As a side note, how well can I hear this fella at his current distance and volume?
He is a great distance away and he is whispering but the room is very quiet, apart from the occasional rumble of lightning.
You can tell he is whispering, but you'd need to focus on the whispering to discern exactly what he is saying.
Although I am certain that a gentleman like you wouldn't engage in such ungentlemanly behaviour, right?

The room is as previously described. Cross-shaped and huge. Smooth, seamless, grey marble-like stone full of columns, domed ceilings and arches separating the domes that make it look like you're walking through a giant spinal column. The dome above you has a sphere embedded in it which provides direct illumination to the area near the centre of the room and indirect illumination to everywhere else.

The four corners in the centre of the cross are glowing slightly with a cyan light that is quickly fading. The four green rods are also there, in the centre of the room, each one near one of the glowing corners.

Listening provides nothing other than the muffled rumbling of thunder. There is a faint humming and a discordant melody when River goes through the door, but it disappears when the door closes behind Irene. There's also the howling of wind and the more clearly audible rumbling of thunder when Nikolai opens the door leading outside, before it too disappears once the door closes behind him.

As far as smell goes, there is nothing other than the faint smell of ozone and the smell of your teammates, which you can discern very well by now. There's also some smell coming from your belongings and the tent Alan summoned, but nothing discernible. Just normal smells you'd expect to find on such things. Otherwise, the room is completely devoid of smells, as if you are the first people to ever arrive here. No wait, even in that case there would be some sort of smell from whatever bacteria or other living things would have grown during the time this place existed. It's more like it was built a few seconds before you arrived.

You approach a door at random and try listening and smelling for anything near it. There's nothing.
You can't see anything through it. It is dark. Unnaturally dark. As if there is physical shadow in that room, something that stops the (admittedly already faint) light coming from behind you from illuminating anything more than a couple of steps beyond the door, which reveals the same smooth grey floor, same as everywhere else.

As River and Nikolai have demonstrated, doors lack a handle and are either open or closed. I am assuming you want to open this one?

Craft a sling(weapon) out of cloth. Quickly open the door, grab a few rocks, then close the door.
You cut your spare pants in half and tie them into a knot to create a crude sling. It's not very high tech or even very high quality, but you could hit something with it. Probably. Maybe even cause some serious harm if you're lucky.

You touch the glass door and it bursts like a bubble in slow motion. Air immediately starts rushing out of the room you are in, as if the pressure in it is slightly higher than on the outside.

You take two steps forward and walk outside. The door reforms behind you, cutting the air escaping from the structure and leaving you to endure this place's atmosphere. The strong wind is whistling as it is cut by your gas mask, causing it to vibrate slightly. There's a louder howling coming from above. Looks like the air is even stronger outside of this canyon.

The air smells strangely out here. Like ashes and ozone and copper and... some other things you are not sure about right now. The air irritates your nose and eyes as it gets through your broken gas mask. It makes you feel like there is less air in your lungs than it should be, making you want to cough.

Despite that you take a few more steps forward. Another bolt of green lightning passes overhead, illuminating the area, before it bends and comes down somewhere close, in front of you and on your right, right outside this canyon with a deafening rumble that makes the ground shake.

A few rocks were apparently blasted away from the thunder strike, because you can see them falling from the canyon walls, banging against them as they roll downwards. You can also see some flying above it. Perhaps a bit too high above it. Maybe the wind is helping carry them?

You shrug and make your way to a few rocks you saw when the thunder struck. You get the backpack off your back, set it down on the ground and open it, before kneeling beside it and putting some of the black rocks in it. Now when ask people to hold your backpack and they ask "It's so heavy. What have you got in there? Rocks?" you can reply "Yes, I do."

Everyone
<I have found the problem. I will start examining it. It will take some time to mend.>
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:58:42 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: September 22, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »

Just to clarify, is this the type of sling I crafted? except the string replaced by strips of cloth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)

Go back inside. This world isn't much nicer than my homeworld.
Put the sling and a few small rocks in my pocket. Put the knife in my belt.
Find River and go talk to him.

"Was there something wrong with the teleporter? Because if it's broken, or just not powerful enough I can help you."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2643 on: September 22, 2014, 06:17:49 pm »

Just to clarify, is this the type of sling I crafted? except the string replaced by strips of cloth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)
Well, if it isn't, then those are some veeeery stretchy pants.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: September 22, 2014, 06:31:42 pm »

Campaign

Alan tries this mind talking thing that seems so popular with the kids nowadays.

<AHEM. DO YOU NEED ANY HELP, BROOK?>
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: September 22, 2014, 06:53:30 pm »

Survival
This place is a bit weird for my tastes.  Don't think I'm going to miss it much.
Check stomach, then if I am actually not on fire off a wave of force, starting past my allies, towards the other beings.  If I am in fact on fire, put that out.  Oh, yeah, stand up.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »

Zechariah quietly goes into Ike's view, trying to get his attention now.
"Hey. Did you find anything about the windows, or the surrounding area? I don't really have that great of senses."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: September 22, 2014, 07:36:36 pm »

Irine, Campaign

Restless and unable to help, I pace back and forth near the door.
There's nothing here for me to burn to generate a seed-flame, and I don't want to burn any of the stuff I brought with me. And I'm not sure that I even need to be ready for a fight. River seems to understand where we are and isn't that worried, is he? Though he does keep stopping to check for danger...

I pause a take some time to breathe.

So, I've thought it through and my best action right now is no action, right? calm down already and just wait. what will come, will come.

I set my pack on the ground by the wall, a moderate distance from the door, then lie down using it as a pillow, my side against the wall where I can feel it and my head facing the door, rest, and wait.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2648 on: September 24, 2014, 07:05:34 pm »

* Parisbre56 throws a post.
* The spinning post strikes the thread in the head, bruising the skin and causing a bump to form.

_/ ̅ ̅ \_

Post to help remove the above bump from the thread's head.

Post this to ten other threads, then press A B A B ← ← → → START+SELECT while inhaling and exhaling at the same time and Paris will stop being a silly idiot for a whole minute.

Oh, and I just noticed I missed this:
As a side note, how well can I hear this fella at his current distance and volume?
((As a general note--was all conversations we all had before the sudden 'non-plain D:' event heard by...well, all those in the vicinity of River?
And can we all hear each other despite (?)not seeing each other due to the [?]darkness[?](?)
...I think I need to re-read again. This is awesome and I'm confused due to my sads.))
Yes, I think you(plural) should had been able to hear everything. I think there wasn't anything whispered or said in secret during that time.

You can see around you. The area you were in lacked direct lighting but had enough indirect lighting to allow you to see. The area you are in right now is bright enough to allow you to see everything very well.

About hearing each other, it's not so much a problem of seeing each other as much as it is a problem of distance. If you're close to each other, then you can hear each other. You can check the map in the previous post to see where everyone's at.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »

Hey, I'm still waiting for Harry's response.
Flip, uh..

A B A B < < < > > START START

...Dammit.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: September 24, 2014, 11:13:20 pm »

*collapses lung while breathing in and out at the same time*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: September 25, 2014, 05:34:01 am »

Survival

What?

Now that I am free, flip a table at them for killing my boss. He was like a father to me
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:02 am »

Campaign

Zechariah quietly goes into Ike's view, trying to get his attention now.
"Hey. Did you find anything about the windows, or the surrounding area? I don't really have that great of senses."

"Exhibit A: the place smells like nothing at all, which is a refreshing and very telling turn of events. There's probably some magical fuckery at work here, if it wasn't already apparent, as evidenced by Exhibit B: glass door or window with solid shadows behind it. Definitely either monsters or liquid, coalesced, unadulterated evil in there, I'm sure. Let's check."

Open the door while standing off to the side from it. Click tongue and listen to try and echolocate shit behind that door. If that doesn't work, stare into the abyss and hope to win the contest that ensues.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: September 25, 2014, 12:14:19 pm »

"Well, the least I would have assumed is that there was some dark magic at play here," Zechariah muttered. "Darkstar didn't seem to happy about ending up here, and I doubt that he just took a wrong turn on the inter-universal highway."

Wow, he thought to himself. A joke. Impressive, slight as it may be, for someone who's gloomy all the time.

"So, shadows, you say?" Zechariah echoed. "Let me see if that's the case."

Once Ike opens the door, use my staff to see if I can manipulate the shadows inside. If not, report this to Ike. If so, clear the shadows out of the way and try to see what's beyond this door.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: September 25, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »

"Well, the least I would have assumed is that there was some dark magic at play here," Zechariah muttered. "Darkstar didn't seem to happy about ending up here, and I doubt that he just took a wrong turn on the inter-universal highway."

Wow, he thought to himself. A joke. Impressive, slight as it may be, for someone who's gloomy all the time.

"What I mean there is, this isn't actually some fixture of the landscape we've found ourselves in. As in, we're not just misdirected by magic. We may very well be standing in magic right now. Place might have materialized around us out of thin air, and the thin air materialized by some other method, you catch my meaning?"

As a side note, what can I smell on Zechariah, exactly?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:20:46 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 521