Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1127169 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: The Core of the Problem
« Reply #2130 on: July 03, 2014, 03:26:10 pm »

"What made you think I was gonna eat it? I was fighting for my life, there, for a while. Ah, well. What's next? Is this heaven? Or, more likely, is this hell?"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 03, 2014, 03:49:27 pm »

"Thanks, Galatea."  John took the spear and examined it, looking over it for various details and to learn its functions.  After a physical exam, he used his abilities to study it in depth.

Study the Spear, both regularly and with power.  Consider: would it be possible to duplicate this?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 03, 2014, 05:47:41 pm »

duh duh Duh duh DUH duh DUH DUH DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUU-

Make dramatic music.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 03, 2014, 08:28:08 pm »

Bryan
Ugh, I really messed that one up.

Faron
Take in as many of the guards' positions as you get into cover as close to the door as possible
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 03, 2014, 09:34:17 pm »

This could go two ways, Zechariah thought. Well, four. This might be a car holding people that may or may not want to kill me. Or, it's a supernatural.. thing.. that may or may not also want to kill me.

Great.

>Get behind the dumpster and get a closer look at whatever that thing is. If it seems remotely dangerous, use the Shadow to darken the area and confuse the thing.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 04, 2014, 12:08:48 am »

"Stand up if you still want to fight."

Let her stand up. This is an honourable duel.
If my remaining knife has a toothpick, then secretly hide the toothpick in my left hand.
Dodge any attacks she makes.

((Cool song. It definitely suits him.))
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:45:12 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 05, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »

I would like to note that I might not have internet access next week
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2137 on: July 06, 2014, 07:42:26 pm »

((I'm writing this through my phone. Please excuse any mistakes.))
<A shooter, probably more--but given the current firepower it may be one person (or a synchronized team at worst) Catwalk area. He's busied by the other gunmen out there--I worry for them as much as my host, Irene.

Of note, he's armed, heavily. Probably armored too if the idea of an assault comes (especially given explosive ordinance?) I'll be staying with Awena and working on getting her stable.

Irene, I'll be aiding Awena by the doors. I'm not...erm, telepathically able as you, but I've knowledge in the physical and if anyone decides to trespass here, I'll know. Until then...>

Focus energies to heal Awena. Poke at interface (not literally :v), wonder what info it has to give based on River's information.
You don't think you can heal Awena because she doesn't need healing. Physically she's fine. Mentally, she's a bit shaken, but healing can't fix the troubles of the mind.

You project a general and undirected feeling of quandary to your interface. It beeps and its screen lights up with an orange light as it speaks in an emotionless deep male voice.
<Defend human known as Amelia until the time limit expires.
4.8 time units remain until time limit expires.
Do you require additional data?>

See Lenglon's turn for more about what Awena is doing.
Irine
<Understood. Victor, if your men can't get things under control soon I'm going to have to take extreme measures, risking the destruction of this facility in the process. Give me a better option.>
Demand

If he says his men can handle it, asks me to wait, or gives me a better option, then leave my flames (still under my control, and growing them if I'm able but otherwise just leaving them idle) at their position blocking the door.

If he tells me to do it, then (conditional action PMd)

Zoe

I don't want to stand too close to that door in case they decide to breach it with explosives. And I don't want to leave Boris alone with Amelia either, there's no knowing what he might do to her while I'm not looking.
Ah, now I really want to do that action.

<Are you kidding me? 'Destruction of the facility' is your best plan right now? Just relax and don't do anything stupid. If you're lucky you will win and you won't have to lift a finger. If there's any immediate danger, Boris should feel it. Is that good enough for you?>

Zoe ponders getting up and further away from the sealed door but decides she can wait a bit longer. After all, the sounds of gunfire don't seem to be getting any closer and Awena looks like she needs some emotional support. Zoe may know her for less than a day, but Awena has been trying to help her or at least it seems so. Zoe keeps her hand on Awena's shoulder and looks around.

Boris seems to have finished speaking to the man and is now waiting for something near the door. Now he's just sort of staring forward into nothingness, swaying slightly.

Amelia... well, everything looks brighter in that shell of machines, brighter and discouloured.

She turns to look at Boris again.
"Boris?" she shouts.
"Yes?" he responds without moving.
"Is Amelia OK?"
"Who?"
"Amelia." she says a bit more angrily and points to Amelia. "Is she OK?"
Boris looks at Zoe's extended arm and then at Amelia for a few seconds.
"Oh. Yes. Don't worry. Almost ready. Then all will be fine."

Zoe woders if he is even capable of ordering people around. He looks to be becoming more distant by the minute. But what more can she do? Should she try to force him to accept her help? To stop ignoring her? Should she just kill him and get out of here, try to fix things on her own? Those people are the ones who are causing this to Amelia for all she knows.

As she ponders this, she is interrupted by Awena.
"What's happening to her?"
Zoe turns to look at her. She's currently looking at Amelia. She appears to be a bit calmer now.
"I... I'm not sure. Boris says it's some kind of power. You... can you 'see' something? Are your spirits telling you anything?"

Bryan
Ugh, I really messed that one up.

Faron
Take in as many of the guards' positions as you get into cover as close to the door as possible
Your host keeps running, trying to get to cover. As he does so, you and him both try to spot as many enemies as you can. There's four up in the stairwell, two taking cover near a box in the left and one on the right. At least those are the ones you can see.

You manage to reach cover just as one of the guards on the left notices you and turns to point his weapon at you. You're hidden now, both from the men at the stairwell (who are currently shooting at someone else from the sound of it) and the guard that noticed you, although he's probably waiting for you around the corner of this box, if he hasn't relocated to a more optimal position.

Your host reaches beneath his coat and removes his oversized pistol from his holster, his other arm instinctively moving to ensure his knife is on his belt, before the pain makes him realise that this is a bad idea.

Ike Wayne
Ike Wayne is without cover, with no means of escape and about to be shot by a firing squad. So he does the only logical thing. He creates cover. He pulls the pin from one of his tear gas grenades while it is still on him. And then he starts running. The tear gas grenade explodes a second later, engulfing him in whiteish smoke, the blast causing him to stumble but not fall.

The bullets come a moment later. The smokescreen appears to be paying off, since only two of them hit and both are stopped by his armour. Okay, next order of business: distraction. He retrieves another flashbang and throws it at the general direction of the shooters and keeps moving without waiting for the bang. This should give him some breathing space.

And finally, the C4. He flips its switch and starts configuring this one. He's almost done by the time he exits the smokescreen. He spots the four men on the oppostie catwalk, most of them temporarily blinded by his flashbang. Great. Now one good throw and... Your host pulls his hand back, gets ready to throw, but at the last second one of the wires of the explosive gets tangled on his armoured glove, causing him to botch the trhow and drop it.
<Not again!>
At least this time it remains on the catwalk and does not fall to the ground below.

This could go two ways, Zechariah thought. Well, four. This might be a car holding people that may or may not want to kill me. Or, it's a supernatural.. thing.. that may or may not also want to kill me.

Great.

>Get behind the dumpster and get a closer look at whatever that thing is. If it seems remotely dangerous, use the Shadow to darken the area and confuse the thing.
Your host stirs and tries to get a better look at whatever that is. The thing reacts and becomes bigger. Your host moves his legs, trying to push himself away. The thing hisses. Your host stays still and blinks a couple of times. The blurry shapes reform into a dark alley with an even darker black cat looking at you with eyes shining from reflected light, its ears down and its back raised in an arch.

Great. I'm going to die and my body is going to get eaten by stray cats. the thought crosses his numb mind as he notices he seems to be bleeding again.
You, on the other hand, notice that thee beeping seems to be coming from your interface. It's beeping faster than before.

((You're a bit more forward in time than the rest. Incidentally, I'm feeding a semi-stray black cat as I'm writing this. But she's a lot more friendly and purring.))

"What made you think I was gonna eat it? I was fighting for my life, there, for a while. Ah, well. What's next? Is this heaven? Or, more likely, is this hell?"
"I don't know. That's what people kill for usually, isn't it? Hunting, eating, things like that?"
Your entity takes interest in the second question.
"Why? Do you believe you have done something in your life that you must atone for in your afterlife?" he asks intrigued.
"Thanks, Galatea."  John took the spear and examined it, looking over it for various details and to learn its functions.  After a physical exam, he used his abilities to study it in depth.

Study the Spear, both regularly and with power.  Consider: would it be possible to duplicate this?
As you approach, Galatea kneels and presents the spear to you. When you pick it up, she plays some triumphant music from her speakers, looks up at you and smiles before returning to her corner and standing perfectly still.

The spear looks a lot like the one S0 showed you, perfectly straight, perfectly symmetrical, no apparent flaw or decoration on it.

You run your hand along the shaft of the spear. The metal is surprisingly warm and feels less smooth then it looks, its texture slightly different than you remembered it.
The spearhead is a lot colder, but still above room temperature. It also feels a lot smoother than the shaft, almost frictionless. Touching the tip with your index finger turns out to be a bad idea. It goes right through the outer layers of skin with no resistance and only stops due to the Staging Area not allowing your body to come to harm. It's sharp enough that you feel nothing as it moves through you.

You then twist the spear around and slash and stab at the air a bit, trying to get a feel for its weight. It feels light, its weight about equal to what you'd expect a spear made of wood to weigh.

Finally, you inspect the new addition, a ring of metal wrapped around the middle of the shaft, about thrice as wide as your index finger. Pushing it up and down does nothing. Looks like it's stuck there. The ring has a few circular depressions covered by what feels like gray plastic that are lit from behind by a very dim cyan light. Probably some sort of button. They have nothing to tell them apart except for a small notch above one of them.

((Rest of the examination later.))

duh duh Duh duh DUH duh DUH DUH DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUU-

Make dramatic music.
I've been quoting one of the worst sci-fi movies of all time and I'm going to switch to quoting an even worse one. Are you sure you want me to continue?

I'll post a link to the movie I was quoting so far, by the way, in case you want to see it for some reason. When I get back to my PC, since I can't seem to find the YouTube link from my phone.

"Stand up if you still want to fight."

Let her stand up. This is an honourable duel.
If my remaining knife has a toothpick, then secretly hide the toothpick in my left hand.
Dodge any attacks she makes.

((Cool song. It definitely suits him.))
Do your Swiss army knives have toothpicks? You check the one on your hand. Hmm... No, this one doesn't have one. How about the other one? Oh yeah. Embedded in a hole in the base of the hook-statue you can see a metal stake. Near its base there's a hole surrounded by an intricate pattern carved around it. That was probably a sewing needle. That could double as a toothpick in a pinch.

While you were examining your tool, your sparring partner has recovered from the blow and has stood up.
"You should had used your advantage. You had earned it." she says as she removes some dirt from her clothes.
"But thanks." she adds and begins spinning her weapons around again. She stays low, one leg bent slightly more than the other.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 06, 2014, 08:21:55 pm »

Zechariah was confused. To this point, he couldn't remember what the interface could be sounding off for.
Erm... is that good or bad? Please, please let it be good. I'd even take neutral, if it was a thing at this time. Just not bad. My host has already danced with death, I don't need it to go any farther than this...

>Check the interface. See if it does anything out of the ordinary. If not, stay behind the dumpster and... take your coat off, if you have one. Leave just the undershirt and your pants, and rustle yourself up a bit - leave your hair undone and all. Wrap the coat over your torso to hide any obvious bullet wounds. If possible, tear up a bit of fabric from the coat or your shirt and use it to wrap up any small wounds. Other than that, keep your wits about you and hide behind the dumpster. If someone arrives and they don't seem friendly, act like a disheveled homeless person. Better to feign weakness than to be captured again. Use the Shadow to hide your face and voice if needed.

It's a long stretch, but anything I can use to help him live will do for now.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 06, 2014, 08:30:43 pm »

"Could I have something else to do? Doing nothing is sorta... boring."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: July 06, 2014, 08:42:56 pm »

Continue exam.

((Called the music.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 06, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »

"I can't keep fighting you if you're dead, can I?"

Whip off my coat, tsar it and throw it at her like a net. Then stab repeatedly.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 06, 2014, 09:44:58 pm »

Well of course I want bad movie quotes. I paid no money for this, dammit!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:05 am »

((You're a bit more forward in time than the rest. Incidentally, I'm feeding a semi-stray black cat as I'm writing this. But she's a lot more friendly and purring.))
((Your phone is phenomenal if you can write THAT WHOLE TURN like that ;_;
* Tiruin so envy
I wish we could do that same thing here, then I'd never have to beat m'self up over lacking updates EVER again [though with good reason, the internet quality here is x_x]
New word get! Quandary.))

Theri's irises widened (or at least she felt the 'feeling' and not exactly the same thing, being a...thought) as she noted the information from the bracelet.

This was an...interesting find.

Irene! Irene! Project curiosity towards your bracelet! If its orange, its a note for information!
We've about...4.8 time units (in human time @_@) to protect Amelia.
I have no idea what it means-
Hi Awena ._.
This is...a bit hard to explain but I'll explain all I said later on when we get out of here. Does anyone know what a time unit measures by?

((Is it funny that I think of that 'deep male voice' along the lines of something akin to Morgan Freeman? XD))
Theri pondered and wondered...what more information coul-
Right.

@Interface:
> Define Time Unit.
> Are you able to automatically notify 'me' when information is presented?
> Ask Amelia if she sees anything. Also notify her of probable intervention in the future.

. . .
Hey...Awena. I know this is probably abrupt but you're 'hearing' all this within the timespan of a thought. Meaning around a second or so in feelings, emotions, images, and words.
So...well, for you it may feel like just minutes since I last said this but here, it feels like days.
Thank you for being such a kind person.
I...it feels a bit twisty here. Not bad or convoluted but- I'm unsure.
I'm really thankful to have met you. I'm unsure what will happen after all this but-
But if you're in danger, I am at your full disposal. Though it will probably mean 'possessing' you to get you out of it--all things that happen in relation to me are your full decision.
Still, I can't help it but say thank you again. That feeling of thanks that you know when you're with a good friend?
That's what I feel when I think about this situation right here.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: July 07, 2014, 05:57:33 am »

Irene
"What's happening to her?"
Zoe turns to look at her. She's currently looking at Amelia. She appears to be a bit calmer now.
"I... I'm not sure. Boris says it's some kind of power. You... can you 'see' something? Are your spirits telling you anything?"
To Theri/Awena/Stellar: <Awena, Amelia right now is posessed by something that is somewhat related to us. I can't see it well, but it seems like a mindless, shapeless version of us. and its swelling out of her. I've tried talking to it, but it hasn't responded. According to my patron, the being that put me here, linked me to Zoe, this something was imbued with a massive amount of power, but it has no real control over it. All this fighting, and the attempts on Amelia's life, are based on different groups and people attempting to seize control of that power like Boris and his machines or trying to force it to dissipate unused by killing her. My mission and Theri's is simply to keep Amelia alive. Boris here also has someone attached to him, but unlike Theri and I, his 'spirit' has no qualms about taking over his mind and body to further its own ends. his spirit's named Victor by the way. Anyway, what Zoe and you haven't heard is the negotiations going on between Victor and me, because we're allied on this mission. That's why Boris keeps acting oddly - Victor is taking control of him periodically to help give me information I need. The mission Theri and I are on has a time limit on it, and I think it's timed to whatever is happening to Amelia, and the time limit is nearly up. One way or another, this is going to end soon.

Now then, the reason that I'm talking to you now is I'm worried that despite my best efforts, I'm damaging Zoe's mind. Look at Boris and notice how he seems sort of hollow - like he's a puppet under someone else's control. That's not just an impression, that's what is really going on. It seems that the longer we're attached to someone, and the more we influence them, they slowly lose their own force of will. I've been touching Zoe's mind as little as I possibly can, but she's getting really indecisive, her subconscious is practically begging for me to tell her what to do. When I refused to do anything even when she was lost she started acting erratic, wildly swinging between trusting Boris and attempting to shoot him. At this point I'm giving her very gentle and subtle stabilizing nudges, trying to keep her calm and effective without breaking her mind the way Boris's has been, but I don't like it.

Theri, please tell Zoe to trust herself more. She doesn't need anybody to tell her what to do, including me. She needs to calm down and have faith in herself. Victor and I are going to deal with the fighting going on outside, You and Zoe are here because you care about Amelia, right? Please, watch over your friend. I don't trust Victor, his mission is different from mine even though right now we're allied. I think he's going to try to betray us, to hurt Amelia, at the very last moment. And it doesn't matter what Boris wants, his mind is so broken that Victor can do whatever he wants to him whenever he wants.

I'll deal with the fighting going on outside, I need you two to protect Amelia, and to protect yourselves. Grow a spine, and show some strength of will. Don't let the side effects of me and Theri being here break you two and make you into puppets like Boris, ok?>

If I'm confident I can say this without Victor/Boris overhearing then I add:
<Also, there is a side objective to this. I... This isn't the first time I've possessed someone on this world, and when I did it last time I got my host killed. I'd like to try to use the power Amelia is going to release to fix that. I took total control that time, suppressing her mind so that when my mission was over, she'd come back with only vague memories of what happened but with her mind still intact. Taking control like that made me stronger, and able to use some information I had that my host didn't. I thought that I could protect her, and accomplish her mission and mine better than she could on her own. It nearly worked. I honestly think I did better than she ever could. But it wasn't good enough. I acomplished the mission, but she died at the end, while her mind was waking up and I was losing control again... and the way she died was horrible. I'm not human Theri, and her mind woke up before I could change her body back, and she was able to watch her own death slowly coming but had no ability to stop it. And from her perspective, in her mind, it was all her fault.

The amount of power that Amelia is going to release is immense, and if Zoe stands by her when it happens, I'll be able to shape it. I can't keep it, but I could use it to reshape reality itself in an instant. I want to bring my previous host back to life. I owe it to her. I stole her free will, her right to choose, and as a result anything that happens or fails to happen to her is my responsibility. I managed to accomplish everything she wanted to accomplish, but I didn't keep her alive. And that makes her death my fault, and I am responsible for fixing my mistake.>

Zoe
-no influence-

Irene:
Irene! Irene! Project curiosity towards your bracelet! If its orange, its a note for information!
We've about...4.8 time units (in human time @_@) to protect Amelia.
I have no idea what it means-
?!?
To Interface: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:28:08 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 521