Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Labelling Unfamiliar Maps: THE CARTOGRAPHENING  (Read 9205 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Labelling Unfamiliar Maps: THE CARTOGRAPHENING
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 03:29:12 am »

Realized after the fact that I forgot Andorra, but that's okay. Everyone else does too.
I didn't!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 04:01:17 am »

Spoiler: Africa (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:00 am »

Washington, DC is much farther south. The state of Washington is on the opposite coast.

I solemnly swear that I didn't look at any other maps or reference materials when doing these. I've just always been a geography buff.
Spoiler: AMURRICA. (click to show/hide)
Here in America, we call them North and South Carolina. (And we don't hyphenate Mississippi.))

Spoiler: Soviet Canuckistan. (click to show/hide)
1. Greenland's fjords, aka the only parts the Norse ever went to, are actually very much green. And Iceland does have a good amount of ice.
2. You marked the California region as "Future South Canada". I don't think they'd take it.

Easy peasy, since I've been there and traveled through all of it but WA and Tasmania.
Also, its territories are small enough in number and geographic enough in name that someone unaware of Australia's existence could get half of them right. Most people are going to know about Tasmania, so that only leaves a few more to mess up.

So there's been an image of a map of the US with states labelled by an Australian with very limited geographical knowledge doing the rounds on the 'Net recently...
I'd like to see that. Do you have a link or something?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's horrible. There are like five states labeled Virginia and not one of them is actually Virginia or West Virginia.
Also, they weren't drunk, they were following rivers. I suppose the Aussie didn't see many of those, but they're important in the Midwest. Especially a couple centuries ago.
...And "Oz"?

Spoiler: The USA (click to show/hide)
Good. Although you left out the major industries and such of a lot of states. On a more serious note, Puerto Rico is part of the US (a commonwealth if I recall), and if 50 wasn't such a nice round number it would probably be a state. Maybe when we get nine more, Puerto Rico.

Iceland also has volcanoes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 10:35:55 am »

Here in America, we call them North and South Carolina. (And we don't hyphenate Mississippi.))
Unless, maybe, you're actually from North Carolina.  And last I checked, we do hyphenate single words that get split across multiple lines.  :P

That's horrible. There are like five states labeled Virginia and not one of them is actually Virginia or West Virginia.
Also, they weren't drunk, they were following rivers. I suppose the Aussie didn't see many of those, but they're important in the Midwest. Especially a couple centuries ago.
...And "Oz"?
Oz = Aus. = Australia

Good. Although you left out the major industries and such of a lot of states. On a more serious note, Puerto Rico is part of the US (a commonwealth if I recall), and if 50 wasn't such a nice round number it would probably be a state. Maybe when we get nine more, Puerto Rico.
Yes, but it's still a little odd to put it on the map.  I mean, you don't exactly see the CNMI or unincorporated territories on these maps...though that's probably because if they were put in as insets (like Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico) without any indications of relative geographic location, very few would be able to tell them apart. 

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 05:48:49 pm »

Go tell him yourself.

Unless, maybe, you're actually from North Carolina.  And last I checked, we do hyphenate single words that get split across multiple lines.  :P
Yep, RK's from there. (Maybe GWG is saying that Superior Carolinians aren't American though)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »

You're all Americo-Centric cowards for not attempting my grand British Isles challenge.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 07:05:22 pm »

Spoiler: You were saying? (click to show/hide)

I accept payment in souls, government offices, and bitcoins.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:12 pm »

I'll take your word for it. I'm not surprised it didn't catch on in South Carolina.
That was a joke. And usually Mississippi isn't splir over three lines.

...And "Oz"?
Oz = Aus. = Australia
Ah.

On a more serious note, Puerto Rico is part of the US (a commonwealth if I recall), and if 50 wasn't such a nice round number it would probably be a state. Maybe when we get nine more, Puerto Rico.
Yes, but it's still a little odd to put it on the map.  I mean, you don't exactly see the CNMI or unincorporated territories on these maps...though that's probably because if they were put in as insets (like Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico) without any indications of relative geographic location, very few would be able to tell them apart.
[/quote]
Agreed. Why is Puerto Rico so special?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 08:26:22 pm »

Because it is almost certainly going to be a state soon, and so maps have started incorporating it. If American Samoa or Guam made aims for statehood they'd likely start showing up too.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 08:30:56 pm »

It's interesting that you would place the minimum latitude for true Scottishness at the exact point that people start speaking with strange accents and express a separate identity, often a very norse one.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »

Because it is almost certainly going to be a state soon, and so maps have started incorporating it. If American Samoa or Guam made aims for statehood they'd likely start showing up too.
First I've heard of that.
Sig

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:44 pm »

It's interesting that you would place the minimum latitude for true Scottishness at the exact point that people start speaking with strange accents and express a separate identity, often a very norse one.
I recalled you marked a good deal of Scotland as also being English, so I decided to take the safe bet.
Officially, they're already supposed to be becoming a state following the 2012 referendum, but being that we haven't done this in several decades just about everybody involved are dragging their feet.
No Gods, No Masters.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 08:46:59 pm »

I recalled you marked a good deal of Scotland as also being English, so I decided to take the safe bet.
Officially, they're already supposed to be becoming a state following the 2012 referendum, but being that we haven't done this in several decades just about everybody involved are dragging their feet.
Unofficially, there were all sorts of holes in the 2012 referendum (namely questions regarding the split of one question into two and a certain ambiguity in the second question that actually asked, which made the half of the population that didn't want to change Puerto Rico's status think that the second question was asking, if the status must be changed, what it should be changed to), so absolutely nothing has happened.  Plus, of course, the whole "non-binding" part of that referendum.  ^_^

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »

So there's been an image of a map of the US with states labelled by an Australian with very limited geographical knowledge doing the rounds on the 'Net recently...
I'd like to see that. Do you have a link or something?
...And "Oz"?

Still better than my U.S.-educated-but-never-been-there knowledge of Australia:

"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »

Man eating coral reef? That's absurd!

Oh, wait, it's hyphenated. And Australian.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5