Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: River of Death: Game Thread.  (Read 25791 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: River of Death: Game Thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 10:17:30 am »

"I am Maru, alumnus, Estling Academy of Natural and Unnatural Sciences.  You are Morazin.  This is Marini." Maru's head turns briefly to look at an identical black cat that leaps on the table to lay alongside her.  "But that is of little consequence right now.  Shall we go an find some of the woodsmen and start looking into the problem of the surrounding wilderness?"
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:52 am »

Turning towards Eli "Hm... You need a nip lad? Ye seem a might bit cold." Offering the bottle of wine in his hand to the Air elemental he observed the rest of the group. A fine group so far. Now if only he could remember what it was they were planning to go do. He could swear it had something to do with monkeys. Maybe they were making a circus troupe?

Eli decided it would be rude to down the proffered drink.

"...ah, I'm quite cool, but ah you only live once, right?"
He said, taking it and knocking back a cap. Urk. He handed it back. "I don't think...I've ever tasted that particular vintage..."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:17:14 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 10:57:10 am »

Looking slightly confused Holdron grabbed the bottle and looked at it "I dun' think I have either. But wine gets better with age. So it tastes better as you drink it righ'?" Holdron gave Eli a smile as he took a big gulp "Plus it tastes better if you just put it down. Wha's it matter eh? Wanna try a diffren' one? I go' plenty."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 11:22:45 am »

"Ah, no thanks. I'm still a bit queasy from the boat ride." Eli responds, holding a hand as if forming some sort of shield between them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:17:38 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 11:37:47 am »

Steffan gets up from where he was trying to make small talk with a local, and ambles over to the old man drinking with his friend. He holds out his hand.

”Hello. I am Arbury. I see you’ve already met my particular friend Ockerbie? He is a great traveller – you look like you’ve seen a few things yourself? Will you come drink with us? We go to find a lost expedition – eaten by jungle tigers and river shark, no doubt… Even if this isn’t what you’re here for, you’re welcome to share our table. It seems there are many that could, today.”

Steffan leads Eli and Holdron to the nearest free table, and whispers into Eli’s ear as he passes on his way to recruit some more diners.

”Judging by the look on your face it might be a nice idea to get us something… a little finer, if any fine drink can withstand this damn heat and damp… Keep him busy for a second, I’ll see if we can rope in anyone else who might be useful.”

He carries on past, and approaches the young cleric Rohan, and repeats his familiar routine.

”Hello. I am Arbury. It seems you are looking for the same work as us. Will you come drink with us? You might find th-”

He’s interrupted by a sudden thunderclap and a looming shadow. He looks up to find someone more than twice his size, and nearly decides against holding out his hand.

”Snowcrusher? You must have come far… Come, we have work, and ale, and food, and need of someone with your… kind of skills.”

He leads, if they’ll follow, Rohan and Snowcrusher over to his and Eli’s growing group, shouting out to a waitress as he goes.

”Waitress! Can you bring up a barrel or three of your finest – finest mark you – ale, and bring us a proper chair for my friend here. Or maybe a table…”

Reaching the table, he gets down to business, pouring himself something to drink, and offers a barrel to the enormous half-giant, holding his glass up.

”A drink with you sir, Snowcrusher!”

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 11:42:42 am »

Morazin looks around at the crush of people joining the group. "Hang on a second, we don't need an army to go after one expedition; we'd more likely stir up more trouble than we can handle with such a large group, and share the expedition's fate!" He thinks for a second. "If I recall correctly, there was call for protecting a priest to bless the river, the goal being to cut down on the nastiness that the cursed waters spawn. I say we split up and tackle both tasks, and we can investigate the animals along the way."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 11:45:54 am »

"Bah, ale." Holdron looked on with disgust "Arbury you've made a poor mistake. Ale be a foul drink only useful when one is out of fine wine such as this!" Holdron again took a large gulp of the substance that most wouldn't refer to as fine wine "That's the stuff... Well aren't you a big lad. You must be half-dwarf half-entire army eh?" Holdron directed his rather poor joke towards the towering barbarian just before he heard Morazin talk "Split up? Aye, sounds like it could be a good idea at any rate. Give us some bondin' time yeah? I'll go with the priesty business. Being a cleric I have a lot o' experience with the buggers."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 12:09:46 pm »

(Guess I got dragged from the guild to the tavern)

Lady Bethany listens to whatever the guild members had to say about the job, and then agrees to travel to the tavern with Rohan...

---

A bar is  a miserable place for a Paladin in full armor. Low lives give you strange looks, and everybody expects you to get wasted. She wished Rohan had given her time to change out of her gear. The tavern might have been uncomfortable for Lady Bethany the Paladin, but it was one of young Beth Drake's favorite places. It was unbefitting of a Paladin however to get drunk and dream about the other pretty patrons, so Bethany simpily orders a cup of water and sets to work recruiting.

She turns to Eli first when he approaches. A strange looking fellow, but my no means ugly or explicitly evil looking. Still, there was something non-human in his blood, so she would have to check his alignment at some point. She lacked the nerve to do so while looking into his deep blue eyes however.

"Greetings Eli." She returns with her best nod and smothered half smile. "You look to be the outdoorsy type. That will be good to have along. Indeed, Let us have a seat and talk."

She takes a deep swig from her cup of water as Steffan and the others arrive. Her father always said that sometimes the help just comes to you, but she never thought it would be this easy.

Morazin looks around at the crush of people joining the group. "Hang on a second, we don't need an army to go after one expedition; we'd more likely stir up more trouble than we can handle with such a large group, and share the expedition's fate!" He thinks for a second. "If I recall correctly, there was call for protecting a priest to bless the river, the goal being to cut down on the nastiness that the cursed waters spawn. I say we split up and tackle both tasks, and we can investigate the animals along the way."

Bethany conjures up her best scowl at the brown haired fellow. "Do you propose that I fear trouble boy? Gods know how many injured, dying, and dead souls are up there. What if we don't have enough man-power to take them all back. Can you imagine having to choose who to save?"

She pauses. "That said, with the large fellow helping, I don't think our group need be any bigger than it is. If my associates would be so kind as to desist with the recruiting at this point I would be quite grateful."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:26:19 pm by Weirdsound »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 12:25:30 pm »

"Protecting the priest sounds like something my skills would be best utilized by, So I'll go help there." Morazin turns to the paladin, a sardonic smile on his face. "On the contrary, I know a paladin fears nothing. I was just suggesting that there is a difference between fear and prudence, that's all."
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »

"You're a paladin lass? I'm one too. A paladin prince as it happens! I once slew a dragon using nothing but me bare hands. Afterwards I was talking to me head priest and he says to me 'Holdron ye be a good disciple of Thor and the best rogue this order's ever had. Have a pumpkin.' and tha's how I became a prince." Holdron chuckled to himself "Ye'll understand it when you're older." Glancing up at the cieling Holdron thought of something.

"Wai... Do we 'ave a boat fer all this?"

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 12:34:49 pm »

"My understanding is canoes are rentable for expeditions at cost. Or was it for free? I'll have to check..." Morazin gets up an inquires about transportation from the bartender

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 12:38:43 pm »

"Silly human," Maru cursed the dragonkind who was ignoring her earlier suggestion.  "We shouldn't bother with the river.  But if tis done then best tis done well, let me join you on your fools errand.  Need help with your interrogations?"
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 12:39:20 pm »

(We don't know if the Rescue job is by boat or by brush. Grek never said)

Lady Bethany hides a smile by taking a swig of her water. Debate was one of the few things she loved that it was okay for a Paladin to practice. "Prudence, when exercised at the expense of those suffering, is no better than cowardice. There are people out there in dire need of a rescue or a proper burial. The Prophet Awie stated in the 4th tome of holiness that the truly wise wo..."

The man gets up and leaves to make an inquest of the bartender. Darn.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 12:43:50 pm »

"Proper burial? What are you on about lass? We're out ta save pumpki- No... We're tryin' ta capture monkeys or some such righ'? Well I'm off to help a priest with his holy water. If ye don' mind me askin, why not help us wit' tha'? Yer a paladin righ'? Wouldn't preventing future deaths be more important than gettin' the dead? They stay dead so they ain't goin' anywhere." Holdron seemed to be somewhat annoyed at the idea of ignoring the living in favor of the dead "Plus it pays better. We can use that money to buy things to help bury the dead better right?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 12:52:34 pm »

"Greetings Eli." She returns with her best nod and smothered half smile. "You look to be the outdoorsy type. That will be good to have along. Indeed, Let us have a seat and talk."

"That I am. Lands like this are usually explored by people like me." He said, chancing a smile of his own.

He was glad to see more inquisitiveness, than fear in her eyes. Though, that was a far cry from what he would have preferred.

---

(We don't know if the Rescue job is by boat or by brush. Grek never said)

Lady Bethany hides a smile by taking a swig of her water. Debate was one of the few things she loved that it was okay for a Paladin to practice. "Prudence, when exercised at the expense of those suffering, is no better than cowardice. There are people out there in dire need of a rescue or a proper burial. The Prophet Awie stated in the 4th tome of holiness that the truly wise wo..."

The man gets up and leaves to make an inquest of the bartender. Darn.

Eli chuckles a bit.

"I believe it goes, that the Prophet Awie stated the truly wise would dwell not the depth of the fall, nor the length of the gap-only upon that which he has to gain by risking the jump?" He says, recalling it from memory.

"...Let's just say aside from being an avid reader, I was raised in the loving care of the priesthood. While they did not endear me to embrace Religion as a calling in my life, there are some things which stuck with me."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:20:33 am by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22