Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64511 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Camp Goblin - Worst Summer Camp Ever
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2013, 01:14:53 pm »

When the pants arrive you turn around and put them on. They're brown, some kind of thick canvas, no pockets, with a built-in drawstring.

"There's so much I don't know, I hardly know what to ask about. Are there lots of races of people besides humans and goblins?"
"The goblins and trolls are the only ones I'd call "people". There's the occasional gnome and I think they must have communities somewhere but I've never heard of any. The gremlins are just horrible ravenous monsters. Then you have forest sprites like dryads and pixies, mountain sprites like oreads and sylphs, and water sprites like naiads and nixies. I've only heard vague stories about them. "

"The goblins talked about enemies, what's going on with that conflict?"
"The goblins and the trolls have been bickering for a long time. They both moved in around the same time and neither side is satisfied with their neighbor. The trolls command the mountains to the east, the goblins command the lowlands to the west. Right now the trolls have the river diverted or blocked off or something and it puts a crimp in the goblins' lifestyle. So the goblins are preparing to strike back by building war machines. "

"What year is it now?  What's happened since the Fair?"
"We don't know exactly what year it is. Probably about 90 years since the Fair, which was 2000 according to the things we've found. Sometimes there's a commemorative piece made for the Fair that survived because it wasn't near Stachura."

"Anything you think I should know I'd like to hear, from your plans and goals to whatever problems you expect, even to how I might be able to help you if you need help - I know so little I don't even know what I should be asking."
"Right now we're just keeping an eye on the goblins and seeing what happens. Anything that weakens both sides is great for everyone else. But an end to the conflict would be a problem because then the goblins would be unchecked."

"We're always trying to plan an attack on the wizard Durden to retrieve Claire and Charlotte's voices - and there is no doubt his mansion holds powerful magic we could use."

"We could scout the mountain abbey that the trolls use as a fortress. It is a ruin from long ago and may hold ancient secrets."

"We've also never really explored in Stachura. There may be answers there."

"The gremlins have a lair near here, to the west. They drag their victims there to be eaten alive, which means there's probably a concentration of equipment, magic items, and treasure. Anything we can't use ourselves could be a bargaining chip or trade goods."

I met a creature named Nah in the floorboards of a house. He called himself a Cramp. What do you know about them?
"Cramps are little weirdos who are obsessed with squeezing themselves into the smallest possible space. Mostly harmless."

Pearl has both hands contorted above the lock, holding six different tools in all her fingers, pressing at hidden catches in the lock. The latch finally snaps open! She sticks a piece of wood in the lock so it won't accidentally close again. As she's putting her tools away you slide the book over to your side of the table and crack it open.

The first page is a warning to thieves, a curse:

Let any one who steals this book, or fails to return it, be consumed by plague and pestilence so that his eyes rot and his innards burst forth to strangle him. May his gods abandon him to waste and sorrow. May his wife find joy in the arms of his enemies. May his children wither and die before him. May all water turn to dust ere it moisten his lips. May he fall into a yawning crack in the earth and be tormented forever by the sizzling forks of Hell.

Do you continue reading?

Pearl, Claire, and Charlotte are here.

A Big Heavy Book [Unlocked] (10 ENC) is on the table.

Spoiler: Inventory: 21/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2013, 01:45:55 pm »

Naturally, we mean to return it after carefully reading everything within, to ascertain the identity of the owner.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »

skip to the very back of the book. usually the previous owner of a book would either put their name on the very last page. I pray that we didn't steal this book. If we did steal it, I would probably explain why the dryad dumped us. reading the book in its entirety might bestow upon us the curse so it would be prudent to ask if the women can trace the owner of the book.

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

Attempt to ascertain the owner, check the covers, binding, and last page of the book

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:31 pm »

Attempt to ascertain the owner, check the covers, binding, and last page of the book
+1

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:14 pm »

+1
+1.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2013, 05:42:15 pm »

Also Pearl knows about magic. Ask her if she thinks the curse is real, or just an empty threat.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »

Also Pearl knows about magic. Ask her if she thinks the curse is real, or just an empty threat.

+1

+1 to not reading the whole book until we get a better grasp of this curse.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2013, 06:28:57 pm »

Could ask for 100/for as much as we can get ounces of gold/think up a name for Nah, return to Nah, get that analyze magic spell then use it on the book.
Edit: If we get Nah's trust think he would let us see that ash sword? Would like to confirm it won't crumble/ isn't rusted/cursed once we hold it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:34:49 pm by Cain12 »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:29 pm »

"Pearl", you ask, "what do you think about the curse written here?" She reads the page and says, "No way to tell without Analyze Magic. But a lot of books have curses in them that aren't worth the paper they're written on."
"Any idea whose it is?"
"Well I figured it wasn't yours since you didn't have they key." She smirks. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

You check the binding and the spine of the book. There's nothing written there, except a small symbol at the bottom of the spine (if you looked at it while it was on a shelf). It's a gold-colored emblem embedded in the leather. Looks like a broad, pointed leaf surrounded by a hexagon.

You flip the book over and check the last page. It's full of cramped writing in a strange language. A note falls out - it's full of cramped writing too but you can read it.

The note has writing in one direction, then the note was turned one-quarter and written on again in the spaces between the letters.

Claire is walking around the treehouse carefully stuffing things into a backpack. Charlotte is making small piles of items and carefully considering them, sometimes moving things from one pile to another, sometimes tossing an item into a corner.

Pearl says, "Do you have any plans or objectives of your own?" as she finishes putting her tools away and tucks them into a pouch on her belt.

Pearl, Claire, and Charlotte are here.

a Big Heavy Book [Unlocked] (10 ENC) is on the table.
a Densely-Written Note is on the table.

Spoiler: Inventory: 21/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:54 pm »

Guess we want to find out who we are, find a place to stay/we belong too, would mention a woman but that may raise questions that answers feature a dryad.
Could mention that for the low low price of a single name or 100 ounces of gold we could obtain a scroll that would teach Analyze Magic and would be willing to share this with them.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2013, 01:58:06 pm »

Guess we want to find out who we are, find a place to stay/we belong too, would mention a woman but that may raise questions that answers feature a dryad.
Could mention that for the low low price of a single name or 100 ounces of gold we could obtain a scroll that would teach Analyze Magic and would be willing to share this with them.

+1
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2013, 03:33:27 pm »

Nah, so far they are the best allies one could get. I'd say we tell them we want to become a great wizard and bard. Also play the ocarina to amuse the three.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »

No, we should continue with our acquisition of magic. It's good to have allies, but we need to look out for our self if things turn sour. Do we even know if Nah will accept a name that doesn't belong to anyone? If names have magic here, he might refuse it and we made the journey to the house for nothing.

Also, read the note, and tell them you can get Buoyancy for gold, and inquire whether they can make the goblins give back your potion.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:54:36 pm by Ebonblade7 »

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2013, 05:32:34 pm »

Also, in case we need some "magic" before we have any real stuff, we need to come up with an illusion of sorts, ie Handful of Bugs + Lighter/Torch = !!Bugs of DEATH!!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48