Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64508 times)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Camp Goblin - Worst Summer Camp Ever
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2013, 05:34:26 pm »

No, we should continue with our acquisition of magic. It's good to have allies, but we need to look out for our self if things turn sour. Do we even know if Nah will accept a name that doesn't belong to anyone? If names have magic here, he might refuse it and we made the journey to the house for nothing.

Also, read the note, and tell them you can get Buoyancy for gold, and inquire whether they can make the goblins give back your potion.
He said it was just a name thing, we asked if it was magic, he said no, we could easily get a goblins name or a list of goblins that would trade their names by asking around, take the list back to Nah, let him pick one out.
And allies with a faction on their side can get us magic, especially if they want to kill a wizard and have info on the area.

Edit: Even pick out some (assuming goblins have them) books and find some names from those.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:47:47 pm by Cain12 »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »

No, we should continue with our acquisition of magic. It's good to have allies, but we need to look out for our self if things turn sour. Do we even know if Nah will accept a name that doesn't belong to anyone? If names have magic here, he might refuse it and we made the journey to the house for nothing.

Also, read the note, and tell them you can get Buoyancy for gold,

+1, good point about nah, we really could do with learning more about him, and about how names work (if at all) in a magical context.

and inquire whether they can make the goblins give back your potion.

-1, we traded it away for food, right? we cant just take it back for nothing, unless its really valuable or useful. For all we know it could be troll saliva.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:38:01 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2013, 10:58:08 am »

Let us think gainfully about this opportunity. We tell the women that we can get them more spells, then add our mark up to Nah's prices. Finder's fee.

As for the book, just read it. If we suddenly get strangled by our own intestines... my bad.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 25, 2013, 11:37:24 am »

Let us think gainfully about this opportunity. We tell the women that we can get them more spells, then add our mark up to Nah's prices. Finder's fee.

As for the book, just read it. If we suddenly get strangled by our own intestines... my bad.

+1 to being middleman for Nah's spells
-1 to reading book
-1 to trying to get the potion back

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 25, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »

+1 to a small mark up, 40 gold, regardless of spell cost. -1 to anything higher than 40.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »

Meh. Only 40 ounces per an item means you'd have to sell in volume just to make enough to afford the cheapest measly item for yourself. Considering we've got extremely limited and unreliable supply and all of 3 customers... Not worth the effort.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2013, 12:43:39 pm »

If we're really feeling like making money, couldn't we just lie about the prices? I'm personally against it, but I feel the possibility should be raised. We shouldn't lie by much though, and always leave the possibilitys that we *might* be able to negotiate with the cramp for less, in case they can't or won't spend our inflated price.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »

Meh fine looked at the prices, how about a 25-40 percent mark up?
Edit: Will support a 40-60%

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »

"I'm trying to figure out who I am." Claire turns from what she's doing, gives you a thumbs-up and nods. Pearl sighs. "Oh don't get her started. She's quite the evangelist." You continue, "I think I'd like to become a great wizard and bard."

Pearl nods. "You're free to peruse my spellbook if it would help. I don't have any materials to make a copy, though, and only one person can cast out of it at a time. Doesn't seem like a great idea to toss it back and forth during a fight. If that thing," she points at the Big Book on the table, "isn't a usable spellbook, we need to find you one."

You consider whether these three could help you get money for Nah. "That Cramp I told you about, he had magic for sale and is willing to take only gold or a name." Pearl says, "I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in losing my name. What else goes along with that? Sounds fishy."

"So how much was he charging? What did he have?"

You reply, "He had spells, some magic items like a potion and a sword. I know he had Buoyancy. I, uh, don't remember exactly how much he was charging for each thing, but it was in the hundreds of ounces of gold each."

Pearl thinks about it. "What else would we spend money on anyway? Not many shops around anymore. And most people who have something valuable to sell don't want to expose themselves to being robbed. Wonder how this Cramp defends himself."

Spoiler: You read the note. (click to show/hide)

Claire and Charlotte continue packing.

Pearl, Claire, and Charlotte are here.

a Big Heavy Book [Unlocked] (10 ENC) is on the table.
a Densely-Written Note is on the table.

Spoiler: Inventory: 21/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »

60% for bouyancy, which they are known to desire, and 25% for whatever else. Deal.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 25, 2013, 01:51:24 pm »

Probably should make sure that regardless of what we buy we have 100 set aside for Analyze Magic.

60% for bouyancy, which they are known to desire, and 25% for whatever else. Deal.
+1, sorry about being an idiot about this for no proper reason, more gold in our pocket is a good thing.

Should take a look at her book, then ask what the goblins may expect of their chosen one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:00:16 pm by Cain12 »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2013, 02:33:27 pm »

I've been quietly watching this debate about upcharging and stuff, but I'll add my 2 cents now.

You're nuts to even consider upcharging.

These women appear seriously interested in teaming up with us.  They appear to be a possible long term support system for us, seeming willing to consider traveling with us to achieve goals, being stably 'here' to return to for rest, resupply, and whatever else needed, or being here and us staying here with them; whatever we think is best.

As of now, I see no signs that they are interested and intent on betraying us.  They appear to have no one else - we currently have no one else.

Lets deal with them in total honesty (Note, not 'I have no secrets left' honesty, I mean the 'I will not trick, extort, or betray you either' sort of honesty.  It seems as if they're willing to freely pool some of their resources and skills for our mutual benefit.  Lets not extort that.

If they prove false, we can prove falser then.  Plans to profit from them do not make us safer from them, they actually make our position weaker should the women suspect us.  We make ourselves safer from them (if that's needed) by cooperating in the same spirit they are, by combining forces for the benefit of all - like they are.  If they are proved to be treacherous, then we treacher too, to the utmost of our collective ability - which I assure you, is dire indeed.  Together we can be right dastards.  Until that is called for - assume that most of everything they and we have is already marked into two categories, 'stuff that should not be shared' and everything else, 'communal resources'.

If the time comes to leave them, if a time comes when we no longer wish to share and interact with them, then we decide with or without their input how to divide the communal resources.  We can steal then, if we must.

Until 'then' - we get the most good from being true ourselves.  Lets be true.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2013, 03:28:46 pm »

You're nuts to even consider upcharging.

These women appear seriously interested in teaming up with us.  They appear to be a possible long term support system for us, seeming willing to consider traveling with us to achieve goals, being stably 'here' to return to for rest, resupply, and whatever else needed, or being here and us staying here with them; whatever we think is best.

As of now, I see no signs that they are interested and intent on betraying us.  They appear to have no one else - we currently have no one else.
He has a point. Lets try to get all the information we can (like how much gold they have), then make our decision. Lets try not to be too open about everything yet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:33:25 pm by Ebonblade7 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2013, 03:33:08 pm »

I'll change and say be honest, but for another reason. They just said there wasn't much to spend money on anymore. So if we are going to rip them off, we might as well take something of value.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2013, 03:35:34 pm »

I'll change and say be honest, but for another reason. They just said there wasn't much to spend money on anymore. So if we are going to rip them off, we might as well take something of value.

Like the spellbook. That could be very useful should they betray us. Best to know where it is at all times.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48