Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Creeper World 3 (Now on Steam)  (Read 15663 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper World 3
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 12:44:43 pm »

It's definitely a one or two levels a session kind of game.  The slow leapfrog toward the inhibitors and the "oh shit, you missed a detail and your supply chain is cut off, back to square one" thing can get a little tedious.
Shoes...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper World 3
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »

Yeah, two things about the game bother me.
The first is that you have to start up from scratch every time. This is perfectly understandable, but still rather annoying.

The second is that once you get established and secure you win. It may take half a hour, and it may be a tedious process, but its pretty much over at that point. The reason for this is reactors (and the totem to a lesser extent).
Even with only 0.5 spare energy/sec that you can use without total loss, after 100 seconds you can get an extra 1/4 energy/sec from a reactor. Fast forward this long enough, and you will have way more energy then you started with, enough to basically run whatever you want.

Usually it isn't that slow, and you can build 4 reactors at a time or so without death (although not without problems on the frontline). At that rate within just 4-5 minutes, it goes from "Barley any energy, how can I possibly push?" to "I have 5 spare energy per second, there is no realistic way for me to lose".

I understand that a few levels challenge this rule, but those levels are the vast minority (from what I have seen at least).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper World 3 (Now on Steam)
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »

This game just came out on steam, and I've been loving my time with it. Enough to get me away from Diablo 3 and Age of Wonders 3. It isn't exactly relaxing, but I love the idea of RTSes, but hate having to make exact moves to win, as well as manage resources. I'd rather make a neat little base and see it run well, then slowly beat back the enemy. This game is pretty much perfect for that, since the enemy isn't a smart AI but a semi-predictable fluid. I'm sure later maps will throw new stuff at me, but for now, I'll take it slow and enjoy.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 11:58:33 pm »

teks pyramid power 2 has a 2, because the first one is in Alpha Sector. This is a colonial space map.

I certainly have enough aether, but I'm not sure if I've got enough power. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 03:00:15 am »

Enjoyed the game, but it becomes a bit tedious after a while as you have normally won as soon as you're not losing ground. But you still have to spend those 10-30 minutes of slowly cleaning up the map. The campaign does offer some unique challenges and maps with a lot of variation though, which was nice.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »

Because I made the silly decision to play Flick without using anti-creeper.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:51:27 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:59 pm »

Because I made the silly decision to play Flick without using anti-creeper.
Terps are always a good idea until it overflows. (also, fixed your img tag)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:41 pm »

Yeah, hence why I have a single mortar to keep it tied down.

Does a decent job, but this is far from a way to get high scores.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:23 pm »

I had highscores. But now it is not less than a week after it came out and all the actually quick people have them instead.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:50 pm »

I hereby dub shadow, the Terp derp. The T3RPdump if you will.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 10:42:56 pm »

I hereby dub shadow, the Terp derp. The T3RPdump if you will.
Really? Just... Really?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 01:14:14 am »

I usually just end up building 10-high walls extending from my base out to the creeper spawners, covering them with cannons, power cables, and mortars as I go.

Then I got to the 'rush to take the level' map in the campaign and pretty much failed. :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2014, 12:38:52 am »

Oh wow, decided to try some of the 'prospector' maps. First two? Trivially easy to the point of being boring. Then there was this. Aliancasterer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is my 4th or 5th attempt now; only barely avoided another full wipe. Absolutely tiny map; you need to get defenses ASAP. Also, that nice area with all my buildings? That doesn't exist at the start; it was all terraformed out of the terribly steep terrain changes surrounding the only sane starting position. So you will start out, find yourself incredibly energy-short, then the massive flow of creeper hits whatever 1 or 2 weapons you managed to barely put online. If you did well enough to scrape by there, the spore barrage starts. As shown in those images, the 4 spore towers emit a total of 15 spores. In the first set, 2 are sent. Alright! Easy enough; 1 beam, right? Hells no. 30 seconds later, the rear tower sends 6 spores. Just as the pass the closest tower, it sends 4. So yeah; if you managed to barely scrape by before, you've now got 10 spores heading directly at you. Even one of those hits and you lose everything and are forced to restart. This map is amazing.

Edit:
Here's how the world starts
And how it ended after building a terp bulldozer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:24:25 am by alway »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2014, 12:45:38 am »

Some of the Alpha Sector maps are pretty similar to that: You either survive the first wave of attack, or you might as well restart.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 09:29:31 pm »

Oh dear gods, I found one which is so much worse. Jovencoting, Tormented space sector 200.101 (btw, the other was actually Tormented Space, not prospector). It's also incredibly tiny, but instead of spores, is covered with digitalis, a runner spawn, and a total of 2268 creeper/second being output by the spawners. Without defenses, every square on the map is covered in under 1.5 minutes. Without defenses, the spawn point begins filling with creeper at 1:14. The online scores list only 2 people as having ever beaten it.
I have yet to last more than 130 seconds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5