Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98502 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Human succession fort
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »

Could always have a spear/pike stand in for the flag in battle.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 04:59:40 pm »

I've decided to follow your suggestion and lower the child age, dropped it to 9, although I expect the fort will perish in fire and flames before year 5.

Going to go pick some extra enemies from mods so there's something for the expanded military to battle.

EDIT: Going to use Beakwolves, Dark Stranglers, Warwolves, White Tigermen and Nagas.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:09:20 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:58 pm »

first three will come unarmed. the latter two will be packing weapons. And good god make sure the troops have helmets. Copper helmets will save lives against the warwolves.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 05:29:41 pm »

Well, since that seems to be all the RAW alterations that have been suggested dealt with, (far less input than I'd hoped really, so few posters proposing ideas for above ground stuff and RAW tweaks) I might as well begin generating a world for this game. Maybe we'll get a bit more interest from people wanting turns and dorf'ed.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:42:11 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 05:46:46 pm »

Well you know what, I think I'll take a turn and  lay claim to the commander of our merry band of fuck-ups I mean militiamen.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »

Since I wanted to be a swordsman at start, does that make me the high ranked knight?

Btw, post the mod when you finish! I want this!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 07:18:41 pm »

Since I wanted to be a swordsman at start, does that make me the high ranked knight?

Btw, post the mod when you finish! I want this!

Having checked your post on page 1 I found you in fact asked to be a Woodcutter/Axeman so you've been dorfed as a woodcutter/axeman already. If you want I can undorf you until a suitable candidate shows up as both military candidates are dorfed. And spearmen.

EDIT: Have updated the OP to fit the embark site I chose and the world I genned. Will have an update about the fort sometime tomorrow as it's rather late here.

EDIT2: Um... Whoops. Uh, it seems I neglected to check that all the horrible nasties in the world hadn't wiped humans out, turns out the only human civ died in the year 23. Should I gen a new world?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:57:26 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 08:46:05 pm »

Yeah. Using a slightly larger world would probably work out better since there's more room for everyone.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »

Forgot about that. I usually ask for swords dwarf... My bad :-[

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 12:47:11 pm »

Wait - use the same world seeds as before and regen the same world (and same history), but stop just before the last human was slain.  This fortress will be the human race's last hope - how long can the human race hold out against the wondering horror that is the world?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 01:10:04 pm »

Please put me down for a turn. Be great to be human for a change.

Recently played a 'human-style' succession game. I was impressed that it was possible to view pretty much everyone's achievements in one screenshot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you are planning to pierce the cavern layer at some point, my preferred contribution would be a Forgotten Beast Silk Textile Factory, though I am flexible.

Edit: I'm not sure of the size of embark you have settled on. It might be worth designating construction zones, to maximise efficiency - and possibly limit the footprint size for factories, different types of dwelling and civic works. A question of municipal utopia vs choked shanty town, really. Having players apply for planning permission might be fun.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:42:44 pm by Dwarvinator »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 05:53:14 pm »

Right, well I guess we're sticking with the fort as is. Was somewhat surprised to get back from the gaming society to find more people wanting to participate. In light of the difficulties the fort will be facing with population I added the ability to make steel to the RAWs, no point in making a suicide mission impossible after all.

The journal of Grim Ecodaru:

I have decided to keep a journal to record what little of human history we can leave for those that will come after us. It is my hope that man will be able to look back at these words as a memoir of forgotten evils, though I doubt fortune will grace us with long in this world.

The time of men has long since faded, we are but a shadow of what we were. But we are still men, we will try and try again until the life is ripped from us. Just because our kingdom fell does not mean we should gently fade away.

We will strive, and we will build and we will fight for the chance of a world where our children can play and grow in happiness, away from fear and strife. I have gathered a group of like minded people. My friends Highmax, a woodcutter skilled with his axe, and Splint, a spearman who I consider an equal, have agreed to accompany me, four others, brave and true have sworn to our cause.

There is a place, a land not far from here, where we can begin to rebuild our nation. Among gentle hills a stream flows from a cliff to land in the course of a river that washes the rocks below. It is there, at the site of three rivers that we will try to start again. Our supplies are gathered, our goodbyes said. We leave tonight.

Our destination:

Well. We're here, our new home shall be built here, where three rivers meet. The others have questioned the wisdom of leaving the hiding places that have kept the remnants of our kind safe for generations, but I know that such a life was no life at all. The lay of the land has good potential for defenses, the rivers teem with life and the soil is lush and suitable for farming. We have a second chance here.

So much life in these rivers.

We started to move our supplies to the top of the nearby waterfall, I intend that we build our town around this feature. Through the use of bridges and walls we can make it possible to keep our people safe even if the monsters come for us.

The waterfall.

I asked our Highmax to gather some lumber so we can begin making walls to protect us from unexpected hostilities. The farms are being planted even as I write. Soon I will speak with our mason about beginning the construction of a place to shelter from the weather and the beasts of the air. Splint and I will assist with the manual labor until we have a suitable place to train. For now we must turn our thoughts to shelter and food. War will come soon enough, that I do not doubt.[/i]

I've only done a small amount of fort related stuff at the moment. I'll do most of my turn on Tuesday I think as I only have a few lectures that day, for now I'll compile a list of turns, not that it's necessary right now but it's best that I get started on that, and start planning how to build my plan for our town centerpiece.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:04:00 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2013, 08:03:47 pm »

Well isn't this something nice to see! Lovely update Grim. Can't wait to see more.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 10:18:37 pm »

Can you post a save with all the human titles and everything put in? I'm horrible at modding so I can't take your codes and put them in properly :-[

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2013, 11:42:51 pm »

Im in right?  Or did you forget about me.  If you did just go to the first page to see what i wanted.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53