Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky  (Read 18396 times)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 09:59:59 am »

(( I don't think pausing the game every time somebody stops to talk is going to work. ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 07:42:57 pm »

"Thank you, I will go to him, if it does not work out I will come back here

Go find the hunter
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »

Day 2 - Midday

Seawall

Unsure of where her feet would take her, Meyath began walking out of the barracks. As chance may have it, as Meyath was walking out of the barracks a young female recruit ran up to her and asked, "What are you doing here in Seawall?"

Surprised by her forwardness, Meyath responded, "Well, I had to get away from something, and this is where I ended up. Your pulling together reminds me of my family actually"

Unsure of how to respond to the personal information, the recruit began turning away from Meyath saying, "Best of luck in your search."

Realizing this young woman could be a resource for her, Meyath quickly said before she could turn away, "Thanks, you got any advice, I helped out at the infirmary yesterday, but I don't know if medicine is realy my calling"

Turning back to the Serpen, words began pouring out of the recruit’s mouth, "Well, if medicine isn't your thing, and you aren't interested in joining the front line in the fighting, there's an alchemist who could always use help searching out her reagents. Ooh, or there's that cute hunter. I'd accompany him if I wasn't stuck here." The female recruits eyes got wide momentarily. "Other than that, there's a forge and a bowyer that make a big difference in this town."

Taking a moment to consider her options Meyath replied, "Well I used to hunt before my family was slain, so I could do that.  Not too afraid of the front lines but I'm not a trained warrior"

The recruit replied,"If you'd like to be trained for fighting, this barracks is the place for it. I'm going to be a great swordsman by the time they're done with me. If you're looking for the hunter, he's on the west side of town, near the forest."

Meyath thanked her guide, saying, "Thank you, I will go to him, if it does not work out I will come back here” and with that she walked off to the west. Coming to the edge of town, she saw a small hut with pelts hanging on various lines around it, with a man standing in front of a table taking the feathers off of a large bird.

Aetharbor

Deciding to thank the man who had helped him, Kassen searched the room for his benefactor, whom he found sitting on a stone bench writing on a scroll. As he saw Kassen approach he set down his quill and scroll and looked up into Kassen’s face. Kassen greeted the robed man with thanks, saying,
"Your water god is well, and you are well, too. I must find a tree that spoke, to find my life-quest goal. I might seek you again, for friendship and guides."

The robed man looked at Kassen with a small amount of sadness in his eyes and replied, "I hope you find what you are looking for. Our doors are always open to the traveler."

Kassen said, "Thank you" as he stood up and left the temple, a new sense of direction guiding his feet. He decided that before he took a journey into the huge strange mass of trees which covered this land, he would need to be able to defend himself. He walked south into Aetharbor and found the market he had been afraid of upon first arrival. It was just as noisy and crowded as before, but his purpose gave him strength to walk into the market. Searching around, at first he found no way to navigate himself, but eventually his eye caught the glint off of a dagger. Walking in that direction, he found an array of over a dozen daggers laying in front of him. Quickly picking out a cheap iron dagger that looked well enough balanced, he found out from the vendor that the dagger was worth 35 coins.

Near Vourun

TsuJochi had a sense for the fact that his clan was to the north of here, and that he would not need to cross the river while it was wide to get to them, but he could not say precisely where his cave system was, or which route would take them there. Not wanting to appear weak in front of his companion, and fairly certain the humans of Vourun would be little help in finding a Wolfkin clan, TsuJochi set off to the north along the path that was next to the river. They made good time for some ways until the path disappeared into overgrowth near the river’s edge. Looking around briefly, TsuJochi could see nothing around resembling a path in any direction except the way he came from. The forest here grew straight up to the waters edge, and to make matters worse, TsuJochi was unarmed.

Iseaya

As she stepped out of the barracks, Sofia was greeted by a reddish gold sky. With great excitement and anticipation, she recalled a piece of wisdom of her people, “A rose-gold sky watches heroic action and rejoices.” She whispered under her breath “This is my sky”. Feeling more confident than ever that she was destined for greatness, she went down to the archery yard. Once there, she was asked by the man she had met earlier to try to warm up a little, so He could see what Sofia was capable of.

Standing across the yard from a straw target, she drew her bow taught, released a breath, and let loose an arrow. It went straight into the neck of the straw man, causing him to tear open and collapse. Her overseer in this task gave out a laugh and told her to aim for a crate standing next to the dummy. Her second arrow embedded its head in this target, and her third hit a small metal ring hard enough to shatter the arrow.

Eyes full of pride, she shot the guard guiding her a grin and asked, “How was that?” He laughed a little, impressed by her performance, and said, “You’d be an asset. Do rounds with me today, we’ll talk to the captain when we return. By the way, I’m Turchin.”

Spirarbor

Leaving the beautiful and intriguing scene outside his window behind him, Nico went back to lay down in his bed and get to work on this book. Opening up to the first section, he found the words On Shape and Sound. This section began with the assertion “Sound is a form of shape. Shape gives the world understandable meaning. Therefor, through proper sound the world can be given meaning, and that meaning can be changed.”

Nico thought this was a bold assertion, but he’d give the author a chance to prove his point. The section continued,

“The shape of a sound can be detected through it’s effect on loose materials. Through simple chant, simple patterns can be attained. Through magical infusion of the voice, complex patterns can be attained. This manipulation of fluid objects to perceptible shapes through magical augmentation of sound-shapes is a necessary first step before intangible manipulation can be understood through anything other than blind intuition.”

The author continued with his own studies, associating moods with shapes, for example the author claimed chanting while angry produced very angular shapes, and discussing odd correlations of words with shapes, by way of example noting that mountain produced a fairly small change in shape of a fluid unless augmented by magic, but what struck Nico was a sketched diagram at the end. It showed something fluid standing still, then holding a bumped and ridged form, then growing up into a spire, and then finally taking the shape of a bird in flight.

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  TsuJochi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nico Carver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kassen Star-Breaker (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 02:28:32 am »

Meyath aproaches the man

"Hello, are you the hunter?"
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 02:37:08 am »

Meyath aproaches the man

"Hello, are you the hunter?"
The stranger turned around saying, "I'm the closest thing you'll get here in Seawall. What would you like from me?"
My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2013, 05:04:11 am »

Continue forwards and try to remember the way.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2013, 05:07:37 am »

"I'm looking for some way to help out around here, and I used to hunt back home"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:32 am »

"I'm looking for some way to help out around here, and I used to hunt back home"
"I could always use help. Game is scarce on this island, but our soldiers need meat."
My Area

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2013, 06:30:29 pm »

"Sounds like a worthy use of time then I'm in. I am most used to hunting in Wetlands, are there any of those here? otherwise I'll just do my best to help you out."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:36 pm »

Sofia smiled, looking at the rose-gold sky.
"Nice to meet you, Turchin. I'm Sofia Sala. I've got a question though-- where'll we be patrolling?"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 07:38:23 pm »

"Sounds like a worthy use of time then I'm in. I am most used to hunting in Wetlands, are there any of those here? otherwise I'll just do my best to help you out."
"Towards the center of this island there is a marshy area that I think you'd be familiar enough with. It can be a dangerous trip there and back though."

Sofia smiled, looking at the rose-gold sky.
"Nice to meet you, Turchin. I'm Sofia Sala. I've got a question though-- where'll we be patrolling?"
Giving an odd glance at her upward smile, but thinking nothing of it, Turchin replied, "Today I've got the route that runs along the southwest portion of town. It's closest to one of the largest groups of ruins, and it's usually quite because forest edge is held back by the ruins, and not many animals travel through them."
My Area

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2013, 07:54:35 pm »

"What sort of hazards should I be on the lookout for?"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »

Sofia nods. "Good to know. I'm ready to go when you are... when is this patrol, anyway?"

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2013, 08:03:17 pm »

Nico smiles as his mind gets to work, formulating how best to use his newfound knowledge. After a few minutes spent practicing his chants, he headed off to the home of his new (and admittedly most likely temporary) employer, mind still awash with excitement.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2013, 08:19:59 pm »

"What sort of hazards should I be on the lookout for?"
"There are wild dogs in this forest unlike anything you've ever seen. People think they were once kept as war dogs, which were let loose on pirates whenever they set foot on land. Now though, they wander the forest in packs looking for meat. Which includes us. Other than that, there are mantrap plants. If you're near the main plants you'll see large bulbs, usually a very bright color, which have acid in them. Don't go near them. Some of them have vines they lay along the forest floor. Those are more dangerous, since you can't always see the colored bulbs nearby, but if you have a dagger or anything sharp on you it's no problem to cut them off before they get you anywhere near the bulb."

Sofia nods. "Good to know. I'm ready to go when you are... when is this patrol, anyway?"
"As soon as we pick up our rations we will head out to that edge of town, and we will walk that edge most of the day. Night shift will relieve us at some point. If you'd like, you can head over there and get a sense of the area and I'll catch up to you with our rations for the day as soon as I can."
My Area

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8