Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71077 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2014, 06:37:50 pm »

Ebola's mortality rate is probably closer to 60% than the dreaded 90%. Frankly disappointing; I expect more from apocalyptic plagues.

Also, to spread it you have to bleed on someone, more or less.
So what you're telling me is, my plan to dispose of infected victims by pushing them into a giant fan is a poor strategy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »

Considering that the CDC just had a scandal concerning their Class 3 (Deadly, but treatable) and Class 4 (Deadly and untreatable, upwards to civilization ending) labs not using proper containment procedures, I'm not exactly put at ease.

Even American citizens should not be allowed back in until they are clean or dead, not with a disease this serious. Scrubbing it out in a worst case scenario is not worth the risk.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can get it from things like sweat too. 
From what wikipedia says you can get it from other bodily fluids to. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »

Posting to watch.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2014, 10:34:11 pm »

Though the risk of someone jizzing on you and you knowing they have ebola is pretty low.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2014, 01:43:50 pm »

Though the risk of someone jizzing on you and you knowing they have ebola is pretty low.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Would telling stupid people infected with ebola to set themselves on fire be an effective containment measure?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »

Yes.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2014, 02:32:52 pm »

Uh why is a person infected with ebola "stupid?"

Also, to spread it you have to bleed on someone, more or less.
One of the foremost ebola researchers just contracted it while wearing a biohazard suit. As did many of his nurses, while wearing biohazard suits.

Sure they probably had a flaw or pinholes or a leak or whatever, but compare that to "you basically have to bleed on somebody." I don't care how many pinholes are in a suit, getting ill through multiples of them anyway is way the hell more contagious than "you have to get bled on" ...

Ebola's mortality rate is probably closer to 60% than the dreaded 90%. Frankly disappointing; I expect more from apocalyptic plagues.
1) This strain is 60%, others are indeed 90%, they just aren't the ones spreading currently.
2) 90% is not necessarily worse. It might very well be that it's spreading more easily BECAUSE it's 60%, allowing people to last longer to get more people sick before dropping dead. The worst pandemics are ones that strike a solid balance between contagious effectiveness AND deadliness (for example, not swine flu -- tons of people got it but not so bad. Not avian flu -- quite bad but didn't spread well.  A more balanced mixture together would have wiped out a huge chunk of the population).

Imagine a hypothetical disease that made you catch on fire and disintegrate in 5 seconds 100% of the time. Would that create an apocalypse? No, it would probably only kill like two people, cause it wouldn't spread fast enough to survive.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:34:45 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2014, 03:27:47 pm »

The worst disease would be one with a 100% mortality rate, but a very long incubation period, during which it was contagious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »

Unless they're the uneducated lot attacking healthcare workers or they're the unrelated aforementioned idiots setting themselves on fire, being infected with ebola is not a necessary condition for stupidity.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »

Well yes, but that's pretty unlikely. The two factors tend to be somewhat correlated/conflated.

Simple example: a super long incubation period by its very nature causally contributes to a higher likelihood of being able to treat successfully, since it buys you all that time during which the person is able to fully, healthily withstand the rigors of various drugs and procedures, etc.

being infected with ebola is not a necessary condition for stupidity.
Did you mean "sufficient?"
I think it's fairly obvious to all that having ebola is not necessary to be stupid. I was commenting on its sufficiency for stupidity, which is what your earlier post implied.

Several very brilliant doctors etc. have gotten ebola just in the last few weeks, who were experts on how to avoid doing so and still did.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:15:20 pm by GavJ »

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »

Unless they're the uneducated lot attacking healthcare workers or they're the unrelated aforementioned idiots setting themselves on fire, being infected with ebola is not a necessary condition for stupidity.
I think the stupid was referring to the self-immolators, not ebola infectees.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2014, 04:16:56 pm »

I think it's fairly obvious to all that having ebola is not necessary to be stupid. I was commenting on its sufficiency for stupidity, which is what your earlier post implied.
No, my earlier post implied people setting themselves on fire are idiots, and should an American outbreak occur would an effective measure for containment simply be encouraging the fire challenge.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2014, 04:20:24 pm »

I understand that. But the answer to the question is "no" it wouldn't be effective, because that would only stop the stupid people, who would not be the only ones carrying the disease, see?

But anyway, this is a silly tangent. What we should really be worried about, considering the thread title in particular, is whether ebola can spread via volcanism?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:25:14 pm by GavJ »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2014, 04:27:24 pm »

I understand that. But the answer to the question is "no" it wouldn't be effective, because that would only stop the stupid people, who would not be the only ones carrying the disease, see?
Ah, but then you'd only be left with people who would actually go to hospitals and do everything in their best ability to limit the spread of disease and not further spread it. You would no longer have healthcare workers being attacked and infected patients being broken out of hospitals.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48