Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71057 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2014, 09:28:02 pm »

A guy with ebola managed to get himself on an international flight and was not discovered until after the potential exposures had scattered to the four winds. The next few days will be crucial in locating and quarantining any infected.

It's bad. What's next, Ebola Reston mutates a human-symptomatic strain?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2014, 04:30:28 am »

EDIT: Nevermind I looked up.

Boy I hope that outbreak gets the attention it deserves. It'll be futile hell trying to convince my family to take precautions like don't have one member travel between home and a college town once a week. That's how I caught the bird or swine flu, I can't remember which it was but it sucked laying on the couch sick as heck and lightly robo-trippin' despite having made sure not to go anywhere when that flu was going around. It's why I don't hold out hopes of isolating myself in the future if something like an Ebola pandemic were to happen.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:40:38 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2014, 11:14:55 am »

Thing about Ebola is because it's so deadly the period in which it's infectious and the person is able to move isn't all that big. Provided we don't suffer from MAJOR idiocy, it should be under control relatively easily.

After all, we got SARS, and SARS was, whilst less deadly, much more likely to spread.

That's true in rural Africa, where people rarely travel further than the next village, and even then usually do it by foot or on excruciatingly slow motor transport on shitty roads. The world's air transport network is different.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2014, 11:21:21 am »

Upon further googling, you may be right. Here's the CDC's take on the situation.

I want to underscore that Ebola poses little risk to the U.S. general population.  Transmission is through direct contact of bodily fluids of an infected person or exposure objects like needles that have been contaminated with infected secretions.  Individuals who are not symptomatic are not contagious. The mortality rate in some outbreaks can be as high as 90 percent, but in this outbreak, it is currently around 60 percent, indicating that some of our early treatment efforts may be having an impact.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2014, 11:26:23 am »

I was reading on Wikipedia and, while this outbreak is more severe, there has been outbreaks in Africa of Ebola nearly every 2 years since I assume recording started in the 70s.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2014, 05:38:51 pm »

A hospital in Atlanta is set to start receiving Ebola patients.

Fear and panic over the mounting death toll has prompted some rural communities to accuse foreign aid workers of bringing the deadly virus. Others have kept people with Ebola symptoms at home instead of bringing them to quarantine centers. In anger, one man recently set fire to part of the health ministry building in the Liberian capital, Monrovia, after his teenage brother reportedly died of Ebola.
They're also keeping healthcare workers away from infected villages with machetes and slingshots. What a swell bunch, I'm sure this won't exacerbate the situation at all.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:46:07 pm by Loud Whispers »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2014, 05:56:45 pm »

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

No! Don't bring fucking active Ebola vectors into the US! Have they lose their god damn minds?!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2014, 06:04:23 pm »

Well, I think I'm gonna stay indoors for a month or so.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2014, 06:12:23 pm »

The virus doesn't spread by air, and doesn't survive outside patients. As it's only contagious in patients who are already showing symptoms, containing it in the western world shoild be simple.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »

Especially containing it in Atlanta, home of the CDC. This is kinda their purpose.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2014, 06:17:15 pm »

What. The. Actual. Fuck.
No! Don't bring fucking active Ebola vectors into the US! Have they lose their god damn minds?!
The guardian speculated that it's possible the patient they're moving in is one of the infected American aid workers, so if that's true then both the doctors and the patients will understand the importance of remaining in isolation. There's little risk of the infection escaping into the American populace, but just like the tiny possibility that CERN would have opened a portal into a room full of headcrabs and black holes, shit can happen. Jokes aside, you're all probably fine.

British border workers panicking after a false alarm has made them realize they aren't trained for dealing with ebola.

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2014, 06:23:07 pm »

At the present time, I'm not too worried. The house I live in is way out in the wilderness, and I trust the knowledge of the doctors here in regards to Ebola - with all the factors against it, I strongly doubt there'll be an outbreak.

And the odds of me getting it are close to zero. :P
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2014, 06:31:23 pm »

Ebola's mortality rate is probably closer to 60% than the dreaded 90%. Frankly disappointing; I expect more from apocalyptic plagues.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2014, 06:34:04 pm »

Ebola's mortality rate is probably closer to 60% than the dreaded 90%. Frankly disappointing; I expect more from apocalyptic plagues.

Also, to spread it you have to bleed on someone, more or less.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2014, 06:35:11 pm »

Also, to spread it you have to bleed on someone, more or less.

Or puke on someone.

I am naturally terrified of vomit though.
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48