Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Most Rediculous Forgotten Beast Ever  (Read 11039 times)

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Rediculous Forgotten Beast Ever
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:06 am »

In my current fortress there's a dinosaur made of fire stuck in the edge of the first cavern layer. The access to my base is 20 tiles away, and some 10 tiles away I got farmers working all the time. But it just stands there, on the edge of the map, staring down the corridor. Every time I send my military in they get in the tunnel and when get LOS to the beast they just stop and stare. The beast stare a little as well, and incinerates everything.
I'm not very creative and kinda gave up on killing it. For some reason, when a goblin from a raid manages to get into my fortress they always path to that corridor and attempt to get out of the map. I'm waiting to see if they can kill it for me.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »

In my current fortress there's a dinosaur made of fire stuck in the edge of the first cavern layer. The access to my base is 20 tiles away, and some 10 tiles away I got farmers working all the time. But it just stands there, on the edge of the map, staring down the corridor. Every time I send my military in they get in the tunnel and when get LOS to the beast they just stop and stare. The beast stare a little as well, and incinerates everything.
I'm not very creative and kinda gave up on killing it. For some reason, when a goblin from a raid manages to get into my fortress they always path to that corridor and attempt to get out of the map. I'm waiting to see if they can kill it for me.

It must be a creature of infinite wisdom, who shares the secrets of the universe with it's victims before turning them into ash. Do not fight it. Worship it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 03:02:04 pm »

It must be a creature of infinite wisdom, who shares the secrets of the universe with it's victims before turning them into ash. Do not fight it. Worship it.

I had the exact same problem with a blob made of fire, same results as you, it stayed stuck at the edge and when my dogs or the military (who should have at least been able to BLOCK the fire) got into LOS, they just stood there.

Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »

Marksdwarves. Just one bolt, actually.
You were right, a single bolt and it dissapeared, it only managed to broke an axedorf's leg
A medium-sized creature prone to artifact hunting, radiation and general stupidity.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 11:08:04 am »

Material first, I don't think metal blobs are even possible right now.

I dunno for sure. Could run some stress testing with raw edits, but I recall in 2010 at least, Battlefailed had a flying blob made of yellow diamond. Needless to say, Do Not Want.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »

Diamonds will burn so that's technically not the worst enemy to face.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 04:02:42 pm »

What?
I can't picture this. Its like division by 0 for my brain...

MrGhost077

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »

My most difficult FB was a Towering quadruped made of vomit that shot webs; it sounds easy right, nope. The beast took 10 pages of bolts and only died because I collapsed 2 floors on to it.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »

What?

Diamonds in real-life and DF are flammable. They aren't oxidized like many other gemstones. They are made of coal, which is flammable.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 09:40:40 pm »

What?

Diamonds in real-life and DF are flammable. They aren't oxidized like many other gemstones. They are made of coal, which is flammable.

They aren't made of coal, but they ARE made of carbon, which is also in.... You guessed it, coal.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 04:10:44 am »

I had a solid steel giant winged humanoid with deadly dust. The dust caused instant bleeding from every orifice.

50 fully trained Dwarfs died killing it despite all our defenses and precautions

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:28 am »

What?

Thus, irrespective of its allotropic form, carbon remains solid at higher temperatures than the highest melting point metals such as tungsten or rhenium. Although thermodynamically prone to oxidation, carbon resists oxidation more effectively than elements such as iron and copper that are weaker reducing agents at room temperature.
diamonds are actually the best currently known thermal conductor. there are projects to use synthetic diamonds as heatsinks for computers.
it takes approximately 700 celsius to oxidize diamond at normal pressure. high pressure allows it to push 2,500 celsius. blast furnaces for iron (hematite and magnetite ores) require approximately 2000 celsius.

so yeah, put your diamond blob in one of your magma smelters or something. the low range for magma is about 700 celsius.
though, huh
that's odd
high range is around 1300 celsius which shouldn't actually melt iron. the highest speculated magma temps were komatiite flows at about 1600 celsius and that was 2.5 billion years ago during the archaean.

so either the world is extremely hot, extremely young, or armok is hanging out down there
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:10:59 am by Cuddles »
I don't bite.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Ridiculous Forgotten Beast Ever
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 02:42:59 pm »

When investigating how material properties are used in the game, I found that non-solid tissues ignore material properties. By definition liquids, gases, and powders will instantly fail.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 04:32:36 pm »

I had a solid steel giant winged humanoid with deadly dust. The dust caused instant bleeding from every orifice.

50 fully trained Dwarfs died killing it despite all our defenses and precautions

I would have dropped a mountain on it, but mad props for actually fighting the thing with soldiers, that's badass.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Ridiculous Forgotten Beast Ever
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 07:27:05 pm »

When investigating how material properties are used in the game, I found that non-solid tissues ignore material properties. By definition liquids, gases, and powders will instantly fail.
I just got a forgotten beast made out of steam.
it flies.
I don't bite.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4