Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Most Rediculous Forgotten Beast Ever  (Read 11047 times)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
The Most Rediculous Forgotten Beast Ever
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:34:59 am »

"Ura was a forgotten beast. A gigantic humanoid composed of adamantine. It has two wings. Beware its fiery breath!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Rediculous Forgotten Beast Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:41 am »

That one is closer to an awesome FB, this particular one was definetly lame:

"pob was a forgotten beast, a great humanoid made of ash, it has four short horns, it has absolutely no special abilities whatsoever."

Not even a worthy foe for my bladesdorfs.

Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56:00 pm »

Below my fortress there is a blob composed of water that shoots webs, how hard would it be to kill it?
A medium-sized creature prone to artifact hunting, radiation and general stupidity.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 02:12:13 pm »

Below my fortress there is a blob composed of water that shoots webs, how hard would it be to kill it?

Marksdwarves. Just one bolt, actually.

Or drop a few dozen animals on it and hope they attack him.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:11:08 pm »

Blobs of insta-gib material were always puzzling to me. Having never actually stayed with one fort long enough to both encounter one of these and be in a position to fight them, I've merely had the opportunity to contemplate theoretical versions of these entities. "Blobs" have only one body part, and since I don't think they have organs, they're nigh-indestructible in combat. However, as we all know, striking creatures made of water causes them to self-destruct. The question is, which takes precedence--the material or the body type?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 07:19:00 pm »

Material first, I don't think metal blobs are even possible right now.

The hardest FB I've faced is Slek, a giant qaudruped made of ruby, with wings, and constant poisonous secretions surrounding itself which caused instantaneous paralysis and fever until the dwarf died.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 07:21:19 pm »

Being made of water, salt, fire or whatever pretty much guarantees death from a hit or two even if there are no organs to destroy.  Material based FBs are a bit strange here since they're not as durable as something like a giant sponge despite having no vulnerable organs.  Bisection and having their heads cut off are guaranteed to kill them, and it's been a while but I'm pretty sure you can kill them just by severing enough body parts.

Attacks against blobs tend to "break away the material" or something like that, and the second or third hit usually results in "tearing away the rest of the material" and death.

I'm suddenly aware that it's been two forts since I've even fought a FB.  I need to fix that.  There's a fairly uninteresting one under my current fort that needs to die.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »

Material first, I don't think metal blobs are even possible right now.
I'm glad for this, otherwise someone'd have run into a blob FB made of adamantine that webs.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 07:59:02 pm »

Not sure if this works any more but with the really terrible FBs you can cage them by generating cavern dust to KO them over a series of cage traps. FBs will destroy support pillars that hold up floor bridged by grates in a crossing pattern like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The grates won't support the floor but will be easy to reset once the pillars are destroyed as the other floors will hold the remaining grates. Create a hallway like this and any building destroyer will have at least a difficult time getting inside your fortress.

This works remarkably well for dispatching clowns. A long hallway prepared like this with a row of ballistae equipped with candy-tipped oak (common but dense)  or (ideally) glumprong bolts. The Clowns will knock eachother out moving down the hallway and the ballistae will rip them to shreds. If you can, channel out the wall at the edge of the hallway so the ballistae bolts will hit the wall and fall down, preserving them for later use.

Of course, I haven't tried this since 40d. I'll have to try it again some time.

Edit: I suppose you could build Statues on the floor plates so they'd have both the floor material and the statue landing on their head. Maybe lead statues?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:05:30 pm by Hague »

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 10:33:56 pm »

Siga was the hardest FB I had ever faced. The thing is that he was a blob with a shell, which sounds more like a giant clam than anything else. The only problem is that he launched fireballs at anything that breathed within twenty tiles and also managed to just proc whatever managed to get past that due to the fact that it was completely made of fire. There's nothing worse than a fucking fire blob, I swear to Armok.

That thing never directly attacked my fort but my every attempt to dispatch it led to failure and any reclaim attempts resulted in extra-crispy McDwarfNuggets.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:29 pm »

I am not really sure what happened because i had set "nopause 1" in DFhack and left things running one time, but I came back to discover that my entire elite squad of meleedwarves had apparently been exploded by some FB.  Luckily, it apparently dodged down into the pit of doom that runs up the center of my entrance spiral, but before it did every single of my meleedwarves had died.  I would love to know what the heck happened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »

Siga was the hardest FB I had ever faced. The thing is that he was a blob with a shell, which sounds more like a giant clam than anything else. The only problem is that he launched fireballs at anything that breathed within twenty tiles and also managed to just proc whatever managed to get past that due to the fact that it was completely made of fire. There's nothing worse than a fucking fire blob, I swear to Armok.

That thing never directly attacked my fort but my every attempt to dispatch it led to failure and any reclaim attempts resulted in extra-crispy McDwarfNuggets.

I had something similar in another fort. Though instead of a blob with a shell, it was a blob with a tail. For some reason it was stuck at the edge of the map and despite my attempts to get some wardogs and then my military to dispatch it, but all they did was stand near the thing instead of attacking it. Tried to set up a marksdwarf platform above it but ended up incinerating a miner and everybody else would cancelspam. Finally dispatched it with a cavein.

Speaking of instagib material FBs, in my previous fort, I had a blob made of ash with wings flying around and then suddenly got a combat report from it. Turns out it had flown into a GCS cobweb, broke off its wings and killed itself. Makes you wonder how such fragile FBs even survived just wandering around.

Not sure if this works any more but with the really terrible FBs you can cage them by generating cavern dust to KO them over a series of cage traps. FBs will destroy support pillars that hold up floor bridged by grates in a crossing pattern like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The grates won't support the floor but will be easy to reset once the pillars are destroyed as the other floors will hold the remaining grates. Create a hallway like this and any building destroyer will have at least a difficult time getting inside your fortress.

This works remarkably well for dispatching clowns. A long hallway prepared like this with a row of ballistae equipped with candy-tipped oak (common but dense)  or (ideally) glumprong bolts. The Clowns will knock eachother out moving down the hallway and the ballistae will rip them to shreds. If you can, channel out the wall at the edge of the hallway so the ballistae bolts will hit the wall and fall down, preserving them for later use.

Of course, I haven't tried this since 40d. I'll have to try it again some time.

Edit: I suppose you could build Statues on the floor plates so they'd have both the floor material and the statue landing on their head. Maybe lead statues?

Cinnabar or pitchblende could also work if you have it available.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:11:29 pm by smjjames »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 05:24:13 am »

There are a couple of tricks to dealing with fire-breathing FBs:

1) Make sure your soldiers aren't wearing anything flammable. A dwarf wearing full metal armor and nothing else can generally shrug off the fire attacks.
2) Marksdwarves. You should be able to kill a fire blob in 2-3 shots, at most.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 07:10:04 am »

finally busted out into the caverns looking for some fun dealing with multiple deadly dust FBs. facepalmed when i realised the only reason they stayed at the cavern edges was because they had no wings and were trapped by trees.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:48:22 am »

i actually had three separate forgotten beasts trapped in the same area. too bad none of them were as awesome as Ura.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4