Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 80343 times)

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:57 am »

With Wordpress (or any other CMS) you trade simplicity with flexibility.
Each CMS is designed to do something specific really well and that's really easy to use, but if you want to do something custom, you will have a hard time with it. But it can be done!

I don't know how Agora works, but it seems to me that it could be implemented as a single-page app (GMail, Facebook...). Which means the choice of CMS is irrelevant (or even unnecessary in some cases) as the integration of Agora would be trivial.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2014, 06:23:16 pm »

With Wordpress (or any other CMS) you trade simplicity with flexibility.
Each CMS is designed to do something specific really well and that's really easy to use, but if you want to do something custom, you will have a hard time with it. But it can be done!

I don't know how Agora works, but it seems to me that it could be implemented as a single-page app (GMail, Facebook...). Which means the choice of CMS is irrelevant (or even unnecessary in some cases) as the integration of Agora would be trivial.

Thanks for the tip!

So I decided to dive into some SVG implementation and went with SVG Salamander. The implementation is under the weirdly named branch JFreeSVGClient of JAgoraClient, but it features arguments moving around, and they look nice. I feel like this is probably what we want to go with for the Java implementation.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2014, 06:55:08 pm »

Are you still using JAgoraGraph? I'd thought we merged that into JAgoraLib. Specifically, in your JAgoraClient file, you have "import org.agora.graph.JAgoraArgument".
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:37:48 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2014, 07:46:03 pm »

Whoooops! Forgot about that - I renamed a bunch of things so that they made more sense, sorry! Let me commit!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #304 on: July 11, 2014, 09:12:44 pm »

I'm still seeing a lot of errors. It looks kinda like all the code I had for my version of the client that you ddn't overwrite got kept in with the new files for your branch. If you look here, you'll see the files I committed a month ago, plus the files you just worked on.

Edit: I deleted those, and sure enough, it works now. I'll note, you didn't make you project exit when the window is closed. You need to add "this.setDefaultCloseOperation(EXIT_ON_CLOSE);" to the frame constructors.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:33:35 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:31 pm »

Well shucks, you're right. I'm not using the Github application, just regular git, and it keeps giving me these weird messages. I guess I should start reading them, I was sure I'd removed the other files! I've never really explored pure Swing stuff, so I'm missing those basic things. Closing it manually was definitely super annoying.

What do you think of the looks of the SVG version? It's got anti-aliasing, very flexible (as flexible as SVG!), we can easily move arguments around, there's functionality for getting the argument at a given position (when we click on them), support for viewports/scrolling, I think there's some native support for animations too... I'm pretty excited about it. It's very dynamic, looks good, and there's basically no dependencies either.

I feel like it looks like the web version that we wanted without being javascript, which is a plus for me personally. Not saying the web interface isn't useful - it's probably even more portable - but I don't know a lot about javascript and we'd have to reimplement a whole bunch of stuff.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:36 pm »

Yeah, it looks pretty good. I myself don't know a lot about javasript, but I'm learning.

I went ahead and committed my changes, no sense duplicating that effort.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:11:17 pm by Angle »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:18 pm »

I also went ahead and added a repository for the JSAgoraLib, which is not remotely complete.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2014, 04:03:20 pm »

So I came across this the other day, and I thought it would make a good basis for Agora. Just make the circles into speech bubbles and add some functionality for browsing and editing the thing.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2014, 04:04:21 pm »

Yep, D3 appears to be a great choice. This is a tree though, not a graph, but I'm sure there's a version for graphs :)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2014, 06:32:38 pm »

Yeah, sure enough- Here it is.

Also, remember when I was talking about using the thing for formal logic? Check this out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:34:58 pm by Angle »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2014, 09:57:26 pm »

Oh, hey, cool, Kripke structures! I'm using similar things for my research! :)

This looks kickass!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #312 on: July 20, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »

Alright, so now I need to make my JSAgoraLib connect to the JAgoraServer. I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Do you have any advice?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 20, 2014, 04:21:18 pm »

Since they communicate using BSON, all you gotta do is open a socket and send the BSON query through. JAgoraServer should be able to read it and parse it!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2014, 06:14:42 pm »

Sweet! The SVG-based Java client is now using the Artemis Entity-Systems framework, which should make it super easy to add different visualization methods, and make the application more easily dynamic! I've essentially gotten it back to the state it was before the Entity-Systems were added. The next step is to grab the actual debate in the database, get it, and display it appropriately. Then, allow adding arguments and votes, which will have to include some GUI that I'm not entirely sure how to do :)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42