Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 80344 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »

Well, the only way to directly access the database would be through the server. Once I get the server working permanently from home, then nobody will actually have credentials to access the database, just that one server.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2014, 07:05:15 pm »

What do the user tyoe variables in the data base mean? Do we have an already developed system for these?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2014, 11:54:34 pm »

I'm thinking of spending some of my money to hire a professional developer for Agora. What do people think of this idea?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2014, 07:56:19 am »

hiring pros to work on open source stuff is rather common, and i can't stop you from spending your money on it if i wanted to

it could lead to a good amount of progress made in a short time period, as long as you know exactly what you want to improve and where

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2014, 09:43:44 am »

Is the idea that you'd monetize this somehow afterwards to pay for that? I'd personally rather not go that path, but that's me. Also, we're talking about significant amounts of money... developers are well paid!

I forgot to say something about user types! I honestly don't know at the moment. Diana was working on that, and on permissions and things. I don't think they they currently have a specific meaning, but I could be wrong. I'd guess these would be an integer telling you whether it's a regular user, moderator, administrator, etc.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:38 am »

Monetize it? Not as an entrepreneurial project. Perhaps if it grew to become large enough that managing it would qualify as a full time job, I might ask to write myself a paycheck (y'know, assuming I was the one in charge of managing it). But that's a waaaays off.

My main goal is to get it to the point where I could run a kickstarter or otherwise make it self sustaining.

Edit: Also, Here's a couple precompiled jars. You'll need run the server first, then run the client.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:00:29 pm by Angle »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:32 pm »

Though now that I think of it, it might be worthwhile to monetize it, not for my sake, but so that I can fund further developement. I could do this simply by creating a system where people can create their own sub-forums, and have ads run only on such sub-forums. This could even be worthwhile simply in it's own right- it'd attract people to the platform, and would make discussion much more freeform and user controlled. What do people think? Is it worthwhile? Is there a better way to do it?

Edit: Really, I think I should do this regardless, the only real question is whether I should have the advertisements.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:15:21 am by Angle »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2014, 09:55:00 am »

I actually think github has a way to post releases. We should look into that.

I still don't think the project is anywhere near a condition where it makes sense to monetize it (independently of my preference not to). Right now there are other alternatives that are free and have a much better interface. The only thing we could possibly offer right now is to have the debate outcomes be computed, which was one of the first implemented things but which needs to be updated.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:12 am »

Well yeah, this would be after I spend some of my money on it. And again, strictly as a way to fund the ongoing development of the project.

Edit: well, I did the research, and it looks like I can't afford to get it professionally developed, unless I spend more of my savings than I'm comfortable with.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:40:59 pm by Angle »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2014, 02:19:29 pm »

Yeah, IT developers get tons of money :) I'm still trying to find some time that I can continue to develop this with. Did we reach the conclusion that we're gonna have to use some other technology for the client?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #280 on: June 30, 2014, 02:26:28 pm »

Probably. No one really wants to have to download and run java applications.

Edit: Perhaps I should go back to considering running a kickstarter for Agora?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:16:07 pm by Angle »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 30, 2014, 03:50:25 pm »

I dunno, I feel like we just need to find some time and work on it. I personally definitely don't want to deal with finances, moneys, backer rewards, etc etc, until I am comfortable there's a working product here. I'm OK with it taking longer and being a product of love rather than money, if that makes sense.

What I meant by technology was basically if we were OK using Java 2d APIs or whether we need something more. For now we should stick with Java, and then sure, eventually we can use another language, but we'll need to reimplement JAgoraLib, for instance.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #282 on: June 30, 2014, 03:56:35 pm »

Yeah, I think java 2d API's work well enough for now. I really think I should look into implementing it with OpenGL in html5 or javascript or whatever.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2014, 03:59:08 pm »

I still maintain OpenGL is way too low-level for what we are trying to do. We'll get bogged down in hardware compatibility issues, taking forever to implement simple features because it's so low-level, etc. A vector graphics library would be better, which we haven't really explored yet, and if that's not available then just a simple 2d API with good enough quality images will work perfectly too.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2014, 04:04:31 pm »

Hmm. Yeah, probably. *Googles* And apparently there are several Javascript vector graphics libraries.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42