Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 80336 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29:31 pm »

Looks nice! I'm still working on getting a web client together. I've found a couple of likely programmers, except that neither will get into contact with me.

Edit: I made it close when the window is closed, and pushed to GIT. also, your debug messages look eerily similar to mine.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:39:32 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2014, 07:13:20 pm »

Hahahaha, awesome :D Are these programmers who'd contribute to this as an open-source project, or as a paid position? I forget what you ended up deciding on that account.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2014, 07:50:48 pm »

I'm going to pay them.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2014, 03:59:16 am »

+1 for using Artemis.

However, the project has been inactive for 2+ years. It _is_ complete, but it does have smaller bugs and limitations.
If you'll ever hit the limitations, I recommend switching to artemis-odb, a forked version (and still active) of the original Artemis.

The intention of this post is purely informational. I'm not affiliated with either of them, nor do I think you should immediately switch to the forked version.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2014, 09:09:30 am »

Whoa, nice, that does look pretty cool. Their Github wiki looks real nice too. Assuming their API hasn't changed much, I might refrain from going through the trouble of switching libraries yet again just now and try to get some progress done! Thanks for he heads-up! :D

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #320 on: August 24, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »

We might want to see about slapping a license on what we've got now. The MIT License Looks pretty good.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2014, 11:54:12 am »

I found some code that looks pretty interesting. I'm going through to see if I can adapt it to work with our server. I need to wrap my head around java's networking first, though.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 03, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »

Cool :) There should already be some examples in JAgoraServer. We're using TCP connections already. All you'd need to do is open up a TCP connection and write a BSON object to it, then get a BSON object in response.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »

Yup. Right now I'm figuring out how xamp works, so I can test the thing.

Ad now I've tested the thing, and yup, it works. That was laughably easy. Now I just need to make them understand each other.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:49:18 pm by Angle »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #324 on: September 05, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »

Also - Should we go back and edit the server to not require people to be logged in to view the forums?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:40 pm »

Hmmmmmmmm, that's a good point. That should depend on admin options though. I'm sure there's got to be a way to nicely incorporate that. There's two types of communication already, one which requires authentication and one that doesn't (the one that doesn't is used only for the login, I believe). We could just copy over code without requiring it to check for authentication but there's gotta be a better way...

My life has been a total mess recently, so there's little chance for me to work significantly on this for this semester, I think.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #326 on: September 08, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

Yeah, I can probably figure it out. Perhaps add code for some kind of "Default User" and just manage it's permissions?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 08, 2014, 02:59:04 pm »

Hmmmm, the problem is that we are using tokens - i.e. when you login, you get a token that you reuse, and that's how the server knows who you are. If you had a single user that everyone is reusing, sessions would get mixed up. We can always check for whether it's the default user though.

Or we can just check whether a message comes with authentication. If it does, we check it. If it doesn't we check whether server allows for this query to be "publicly available"?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #328 on: September 08, 2014, 03:19:06 pm »

yeah, that'd probably be a better solution.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2014, 02:17:52 pm »

Alright, so right now I'm trying to get the java code to work with the javascript. The trouble is that I need to sign the java jars, and they won't work with unsigned jars, which includes the mongo db library. Any suggestions?

Edit- wait, that's not it. I unsigned the jars, and they'll still run but they still won't find the BSON library, despite it being in the lib folder with JAgoraLib, which I could swear was finding it earlier.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:22:03 pm by Angle »

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42