Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Dragonlord The Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice Break the Siege or Remain Sealed?

REMAIN SEALED!
- 0 (0%)
BREAK THE SEIGE!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes  (Read 41093 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That just goes to show you - old or young, we're all basically the same.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

I can just see two kids, one shooting crossbow bolts and the other laughing insanely as he tries to dodge them. And the one shooting is panicking like he actually hit the guy :P
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhhhhh... This is going to be a fun game :D
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile

Siege! What a wonderful event!  :D

I don't see the problem in going out or luring them into our fortress as long as nobody other than seasoned warriors goes to the battlefield. There is a bit of risk, especially with 1/2 of our military being married and required to still be alive after the fight, but, there is no FUN without fighting. So, I'm totally into killing those flying-riding-crawling-swimming bastards!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Ow! My eye!"
"Don't tell Dad!"

(True story - nicked my orbital ridge.  We stopped doing it after that.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Call me a coward if you wish but those things sound like bad news that we won't be able to take down safely. We have no reason to open up, so I say we stay sealed.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Both options are equally bad.
Option 3: dig tunnels out to the edge of the map and trap them with drawbridges and cage traps, with lever operated doors at their ends.  Wait until the baddies are far away before breaching the ground with an up-ramp, then get that miner inside doubletime.  The monsters should rush the passage, in which case you wait for a few to get through, seal the door from inside and clear the traps/pits before re-opening the door once again.  Cut their numbers down by a little at a time, keeping your soldiers out of direct harm's way, but also getting rid of the seigers.  After awhile, they'll break morale and flee.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great idea for option 3, but problem: they're on the other side of the map (far north). The only issue I have is they fly, but otherwise, the 4 warriors can take them down with ease. By ease, I mean, unharmed. They're all bowmen excluding the one riding the grizzly, so that's a big problem... Flying archers are never a good thing. As soon as I saw they were archers I went "ok, let's ask everyone what to do. I don't want my dwarves getting impaled before they get out of the fortress, let alone risk the workers..."

EDIT:

The poll will actually decide the fate of our people. I won't vote unless by the end of it (~3 hours from this post) that we have a tie. In which case, I'm going to flip a coin/roll a die (if I don't have a coin). After it is decided, I'll do as the poll says and charge gloriously into our first major battle or keep the fortress sealed. Either way, as we hold out/fight i'm gonna do it while listening to Amon Amarth - Under Seige (because Viking metal suits DF wars) 8)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:23:30 am by highmax28 »

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has been decided:

The outpost will remain sealed. We shall hold out until the winged jackals leave us!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

17th of Hemetite, 135: Decisions and Meetings
The soldiers and the adult citezens all met up in the trade depot. It was eroding and washed up from years of being unused. The expedition leader stood on the center. Everyone was either scared or edgy. The meeting went as followed:

Expedition Leader (Leader): "I'm glad everyone's here. We got an emergency. More important then the mingling session; more important then our work."

Unknown Female: "What can be more important then that?"

Leader: "We're... Under siege."

<everyone starts talking at one in fear>

Leader: "Now I know we're all scared. But we must work together to make due with this."

Cmega: "We're underground in a sealed up hole! Maybe they'll think we died in here?"

Sarrak: "Fool, they know we're in here! They wouldn't have come if they thought we were dead! I say open the gates; send Highmax's squad and mine out and we'll fight them off!"

<arguing ensues>

Leader: "Enough! Let us do this in a more dwarven manner..."

Unknown voice: "We're going to erupt a mini volcano under them and let the lands flood with magma?"

Timeless bob? : "Drop bridges on them?"

Leader: "No. We're going to vote on a decision. Who here votes that we break the siege and open the gates?"

<roughly eight hands go up>

Leader: "Who votes we remain where we are?"

<ten hands go up>

Leader: "It is decided. We will remain here."

The rest of the meeting went with people arguing with one another and then us soldiers going up the barracks to that small hole to watch out for the enemy. If anything happens and we need to be there,, we're ready. Everyone else went to their normal duties. but I fear the siege wont go so quietly...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

23rd of Limestone, 135: Waiting Game
We've been holding out, but us soldiers have been keeping an eye out. We counted 16 bodies and one mount. They fly about constantly; waiting. They stay in the same spot but they don't move far from it. They just sit there and wait. They look restless after awhile, but they're rather patient. Its odd. We also counted 15 of those bodies carrying bows and crossbows. The last one is mounted on the war-bear and carries a whip he cracks every now and then. He makes some odd noises and looks to be commanding them. He must be the leader. We've held out for over a month now, and we sit here and wait. And wait. And wait...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

24th of Limestone, 135: Problems in the Depths
We heard a deep humming in the depths. We moved the wall blocking that area for a quick moment and saw a horrifying sight:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As if the siege wasn't bad enough! Now we got battle-hardened giant stag beetles! I pray Armok it doesn't do as the other Forgotten beast did...

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deadly spittle is a laugh most of the time. But tons of FB meat isn't. A proficient squad can kill it with ease, yet it can make short work on recruits by its weight alone.

Limestone, Middle, 135

For now, it is quiet and I have some spare time at last. But this won't last. So, better hurry. Splint is carefully observing enemies from the spot and others are on leave. Much of the recent months were unieventful. Actually, siege came as a relief to me. Although working with metal is great and everything, after some time it gets less energizing and spicy. More like boring everyday labor. I somewhat miss the years before sealing. But not everyone in military shares my opinion. I can understand Highmax, but Splint... Well, she might be caring for well-being of the whole fortress. There was some risk, after all. But I'm adamant sure everything would have been great. Really. The winged jackals? We could have killed them while wearing blindfolds, if needed!

One of them, with feathers on his horns and some other strange stuff, moved closer and Splint called me. Sadly, it was just another false threat. Bastards are now sitting beneath campfire and eat. Disgusting smell of food, burned to crisp, reaches us even here. Can't imagine what they are eating. Maybe, goblin bones from last years? After all, they scared all wildlife in the first few days, hunting it for fun. Oh, well, Highmax returned. Time to go and have a drink. It becomes pretty boring just sitting here all day long.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You've only been forging for a little bit, rest was hauling duty with the bars. As for meat, they're probably eating the wolf pups that get born outside of the caged wolves that are outside

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I couldn't be sure about smithing, so I just went with my interpretation of my workdays. After all, smithing is not only actual metalwork, but all other groundwork for it. Wolf pups? That's terrible. And we can't even go out to teach those foul fiends proper lesson!  :'(

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32