Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Dragonlord The Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice Break the Siege or Remain Sealed?

REMAIN SEALED!
- 0 (0%)
BREAK THE SEIGE!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes  (Read 40267 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

10th of Timber, 127: The Situation
My name is Highmax. I am a swordsdwarf of Dragonlord the Bloody Age of Artifice. We're an outpost of 18 dwarves in the freezing temperatures. We've left the mountainhomes with joy of creating a new outpost in glory of the dwarves. "The Parched Earth", the name of the mountainhomes, told us they would help us the best they can. We got ourselves settled until we realized that the water turned to ice within months of it thawing (from late spring to early autumn). We got a well but our food and booze supplies dropped as we couldn't irrigate our crops. We waited for relief and trade goods from our home....

Except they never showed up.

We waited until a year had passed and nothing came. We irrigated our crops to an extent, but the room was so flooded, we couldn't farm until it was drained. We only recently got our farms up and running, but in the meantime, we've beenliving off of vermin and animals that were only newborn. We're still low on supplies for food and our brethren have deserted us, and I fear that the stories of monsters and creatures that roam the area are waiting to feast on us. The expedition leader and the lunatic that talked us all into this, thinks we can live despite our situation. I called him a fool and left him be. Snow was falling and the cold biting hands of winter are clawing at us, hoping for us to die so it can feast. But we're a hardy people, and I tend to prove that we will endure this hard time in this dark chapter of dwarven history. Why did the mountainhomes abandon us? What dangers await us in the future? And why does misfortune favor us so? I pray that Armok have mercy on us...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((For those who desire to look at the fortress, heres a save as of 16th of Timber, 132))

((Heres the thoughts and preferences of presently named dwarves))

Highmax:

Sarrak:

Timeless Bob (before he was named):

Lord Lemonpie:

Pot Chuncke- I mean, Pot Chucker:

Splint:

Cmega3:

Karkov:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:30:16 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort With No Releif
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:23:12 pm »

3rd of Moonstone, 127: Constructions and gatherings
The Expedition Leader said there was a possibility that there are some plants buried in the snow. Some people were sent out as gatherers but I doubt there is enough in this thick blanket of snow. She also ordered a big area to be built up, which is currently around our workshops. I don't know why, but she said there would be explanations in time. I still think shes a fool, but shes leader for a reason. Most of our resources are indoors, and we are barely surviving with such little food. I can only hope we survive this winter like last year.

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:04:39 pm »

17th of Opal, 127: The First Tragedy
The Expedition leader died from an impact from a cave in. She didn't FALL in, she just kinda got hit by flying debris. The gem cutter has been named leader now (which surprises me). Our food stocks went up to roughly one plump helmet per person. That's better then a quarter plump helmet to a person like the last few months. I noticed also our wrestlers have also taken the daggers of the dead kobald thieves and using them quite well. Others say they're legendary fighters, but I wouldn't doubt it either. I'm almost good enough with a sword to be called a swordmaster soon. Years of practice has gotten well. I still remember I was just practicing outside my room in the mountainhomes when that fool said she wanted me to go with her. It seems so long ago now, but if I knew we would be freezing and abandoned, I would never have come here. I don't think anyone of us would have.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:14:27 pm »

7th of Slate, 127: Another Spring, Another Year Abandoned
Spring has crept in again without up noticing. No thawing to let us know, for that marks the summer. Our food supplies are getting up now with the gem cutter in charge now. Also, that apparent space that was ordered? Was labeled for becoming a pasture. I took the liberty of marking it again as a barracks upon completion. Lots of animals are breeding, making us more food for ourselves. We also have captured many animals, but most of them are skunks. Very smelly animals. And we also got their big brother, the wolverine, along them. And a few kiwis. Also, I was promoted to Swordmaster along with my sparring partner. The dagger wielding wrestlers are doing constant sparring sessions, which is great, but their battles get really intense since they're masters of killing. I recall they killed a kobald in a single punch in one instance. Another kobald got ripped apart by the others bare hands. It was a very messy ordeal, but it was a good thing to kill the damned thieves. A room has been labeled as being the workshop area, despite it being very empty. Also, our moat idea is on hold until we get our bridges built... And when the river thaws

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:15 pm »

Looks ver interesting :D.
I'll take the miner, if it's a male.
Shes a woman unfortunately :(

21st of Slate, 127: Issues and Dumping
Well, the moat we dug out? Still full of ores we need. Its been ordered to be dug out, but its taking so much time since the exit out so far is far from the enterance (what was that fool thinking?)

Speaking of the fool, rumors are saying that she awoke from her slumber and is now haunting the place where she died. I'm getting our mason to make a coffin for her frozen corpse. Did I mention its kind of stuck to the ground right now? Its gonna be fun to get it inside in one piece.... In the meantime, I was given a nice new bedroom. We're also hopefully getting a bookkeeper soon, cause obviously we need to count the 50 units of booze we have ::)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:13:33 pm »

Looks ver interesting :D.
I'll take the miner, if it's a male.
Shes a woman unfortunately :(

21st of Slate, 127: Issues and Dumping
Well, the moat we dug out? Still full of ores we need. Its been ordered to be dug out, but its taking so much time since the exit out so far is far from the enterance (what was that fool thinking?)

Speaking of the fool, rumors are saying that she awoke from her slumber and is now haunting the place where she died. I'm getting our mason to make a coffin for her frozen corpse. Did I mention its kind of stuck to the ground right now? Its gonna be fun to get it inside in one piece.... In the meantime, I was given a nice new bedroom. We're also hopefully getting a bookkeeper soon, cause obviously we need to count the 50 units of booze we have ::)
Mörul the mason?

She also... Our males are:
Tosid (farmer, was something else before)
Kib (mechanic, was also something else before)
Tun (Wrestler/Dagger User/Kobald Puncher)
"Highmax" (me, swordmaster)

...We have too many females...

12th of Hemetite, 127: Oddities And Ends
A mechanic brought back a cage that was snarling and shaking. I asked what in Armok's name was he handling in that cage. HE told me it was a cougar. I shook my head. A cougar? We got plenty of other animals as is. The fool was put to rest in a coffin today. May she spend the rest of eternity in the great bar in the sky. Our construction is at a halt until today, due to the ores being removed from the moat. But that changes since all of the ores are removed. Now the miner can channel out the rest of the moat out Without killing someone. Yay...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:07:38 pm »

I'll take the mechanic, then.
Alright then. Welcome to the frozen wasteland that is the Blood Age of Artifice.

2nd of Limestone, 127: Auttumn Again
Its hard to believe that within months of the warmth, the ice returns and bites us again. The filling of the moat will have to wait another year. Our miner is currently busy working on engravings for our dining hall. Hopefully then she will begin to do some channeling. I want this moat finished soon, I don't want to have exposed defenses if I can help it. Currently, the new barracks is FINALLY being constructed properly, and we're just waiting on the flooring for the second floor now. Then a second row of walls will be placed and then another ceiling with fortifications dug into the second floor. This will create a section for archers once we get some migrants to come join us. Speaking of which, I haven't seen anything move except for us and the odd wild animal. Maybe being here makes us well hidden from the other races? It wouldn't explain the Kobalds however. We're now making prepared meals so we won't have to worry about starving and complaining about eating nothing but meat and plump helmets. Also, the wrestlers are now supposed legendary with their art of using those daggers. I commend them for that. Although we're a small force of four dwarves, we could probably wipe out a small army alone.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 03:43:22 am »

Also, the wrestlers are now supposed legendary with their art of using those daggers. I commend them for that. Although we're a small force of four dwarves, we could probably wipe out a small army alone.

3 legendary daggerdwarves can make short work of  most things not fully clad in metal plating, so set them up with the basics for armor and you'll have walking blenders that'll dodge and subsequently puree just about anything thrown at them. And I wouldn't mind calling dibs on that other swordsdwarf, regardless of gender, if that wouldn't be a problem.  :)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:49 am »

Also, the wrestlers are now supposed legendary with their art of using those daggers. I commend them for that. Although we're a small force of four dwarves, we could probably wipe out a small army alone.

3 legendary daggerdwarves can make short work of  most things not fully clad in metal plating, so set them up with the basics for armor and you'll have walking blenders that'll dodge and subsequently puree just about anything thrown at them. And I wouldn't mind calling dibs on that other swordsdwarf, regardless of gender, if that wouldn't be a problem.  :)

Not a problem Splint. Only issue is I'm JUST getting into smelting now, because I've been busy with making rooms and whatnot that I had no time to actually build workshops.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:54 am »

6th of Sandstone, 128: Forges and Progress
Another year is coming by and snow litters the fields. No migrants came again, and another year of us being a small population of 17. We're all alone out here, and I fear we may be stranded here for the rest of our lives. Our metalsmith just finished the smelter and wood furnaces, which will be great for us. Its about time we get some real armor. Also our dining hall is almost fully smoothed, so soon it will be engraved. We will also finish channeling out the moat, if we can get the spots under the bridges. We're also doing quite well with our food stores now; roughly 50 units total in booze, plants and meat. We may end up doing quite well now. I've been training with splint as much as I can and Cmega3 has been making great food in the kitchen, as well as doing great work on his mechanics. I just hope I don't find mechanisms in my food

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:28 pm »

I'm curious, did you embark in a tundra?  Some small islands or tundras not connected to the mainland in some areas don't have contact with other civs, if I remember correctly that means they can't trade with you.  However, your own civilization will always be able to get to you to trade, so I have no idea why they aren't trading, other than they might've been destroyed.  Weird coincidences one way or another.

So anyway, I'll totally take a dwarf.  I'll take ol' Tosid if you don't mind, potash maker turned farmer, at least I'd be useful in some way.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »

Basics for the troops I had just for the record consisted of a metal helmet, mail shirt under leather armor, a wood shield, and metal hand/footwear. I found they performed best as such having a decent mix of protection and and mobility. Just figured I'd put that out there. And the concept of finding mechanisms in one's food is... Odd.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 03:53:22 pm »

Basics for the troops I had just for the record consisted of a metal helmet, mail shirt under leather armor, a wood shield, and metal hand/footwear. I found they performed best as such having a decent mix of protection and and mobility. Just figured I'd put that out there. And the concept of finding mechanisms in one's food is... Odd.

All he does is cook easy meal and mechanisms. I threw in a bit of humor because everyone is overworked, it would be easy to mix up your jobs. And Karkov, I'll dorf you, and I have no idea why my own race isn't sending me crap. I'll post another update soon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 03:56:39 pm »

All he does is cook easy meal and mechanisms. I threw in a bit of humor because everyone is overworked, it would be easy to mix up your jobs. And Karkov, I'll dorf you, and I have no idea why my own race isn't sending me crap. I'll post another update soon.
I meant odd as in funny, and i know it was just a little humor. You're doing great regardless. :)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »

I realized that I put 127 when I meant to put 128... I'll fix that after awhile.

12th of Timber, 128: Silence Before the Storm
Snow stopped falling for once, but the sky is still cloudy. This scares me. I'm training everyday now with Splint, and she felt uneasy too (OOC: Yeah, you're a woman splint). There is a tension in the air that is so thick, you could cut it with a knife. Half of the Barracks are finished, and the second layer of flooring is almost done. The forges are still pouring out iron, and we still know spring is so far away. I can only pray that things turn up for the Better...

13th of Timber, 128: It Doesn't
I was training in the barracks with splint and the wrestlers when a dwarf came and shouted that there were goblins on the hills!

I readied my sword and rallied the troops (all four of us) and marched us all out to battle. I pray that we all make it out alive; we're unarmored but our attacks are devastating.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32