Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856591 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2985 on: June 21, 2018, 02:55:57 pm »

Really?  I liked the tornado.  I liked having a reason to build even my internal walls out of sturdier stuff than wood.  And even then a nice little act of God Cassandra now and then can keep things spiced up.  Hope there's an option to turn it back on or add it back to the story pool.

I had an interesting decision to make a bit ago where a tornado spawned on my prison and it was a rush to rescue and treat all the prisoners in a bunch of sleeping spots hastily placed in the rec room.  That was Fun!  Capital F Fun!  The good kind of Fun I play DF for.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: June 28, 2018, 02:12:20 pm »

So I just picked this up, and I'm liking it so far. I'll probably mod it at some point.

For now though, any secret tips for beginners? I went through the tutorial, and I picked up some of the basics, but I can see there's still a lot to learn.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: June 28, 2018, 03:34:56 pm »

So I just picked this up, and I'm liking it so far. I'll probably mod it at some point.

For now though, any secret tips for beginners? I went through the tutorial, and I picked up some of the basics, but I can see there's still a lot to learn.
Difficulty increases with population size. Be picky about whom you recruit, go for quality over quantity.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: June 28, 2018, 03:44:07 pm »

OK 4 random tips:
- if you're in a climate with any kind of warm summer, get at least a small freezer up and running pretty quickly mainly to store meat, meals and corpses waiting to be butchered.  Harvested rice and stuff will last a little while without refrigeration, but you'll want a bigger freezer up after a while so you don't have to worry.  Leave some room for this when you're planning.  Double wall it if you're in a hot climate, with airlocks to keep temp drops from pawns going through doors.  (airlock is door-space or 2-door)

- make your kitchen efficient.  A small room with just a stove, chair and light - 3x3 is good.  Ideally next to the freezer so you'll get some cooling.  Put 2 2 tile stockpiles to either side of the working tile (the circle).  Set the left one to raw meat & milk, the right one to raw veg.  Make them higher than normal priority.  Set the bill to "drop after making" instead of "haul to stockpile" and the material radius to very low.  Now your cook can work really fast by using materials from those nearby stockpiles instead of constantly making long trips to get one meals worth of materials.  Build a stool to the left and right of the working tile and he'll even go a bit faster because he won't need to bend to pick up.  Keep it clean to cut down on food poisoning.

- Unless you need to do it to clear land, it's tricky to pick trees to chop and berry bushes to harvest because to be most efficient you want to select only fully mature/ready to harvest ones.  Highlight a decent sized growing zone around your base (I pretty much do everything except already-zoned stockpiles and farms), set it to "no sow", and your pawns will auto-select fully mature trees and berry bushes to harvest.   Don't make it too huge at first or they'll spend all their time doing it, just keep expanding it if/when you need more. 

- If you have animals, restrict them to fairly near home so they don't wander to the edges of the map and get killed by a hungry predator.  When you do see a predator sort of near the base, especially if it's hungry, draft your shooters and kill it.  If you wait, eventually one of them will get the jump on one of your animals or pawns and maul them before you can respond.  Almost invariably it's your best doctor that gets taken down :p

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: June 29, 2018, 12:03:59 pm »

The most important beginner tip is to keep your cooking stove and butchering table in different rooms. Butchering table is very dirty, and poisons meals more often.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: June 29, 2018, 05:36:38 pm »

Dang, really?  I keep my stove and butchery in my freezer and I only get food poisoning very rarely.  Apparently it takes longer to cook in the freezer, but I sorta hope the efficiency of not having to open and close a door twice makes up for it.  I mean, it probably doesn't, but still.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: June 29, 2018, 06:01:56 pm »

You could build the 3x3 Kitchen as the "airlock" into the freezer, Especially if your freezer gets big enough that it becomes a complex rather then a room to store all your potatos and corn.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: June 30, 2018, 09:39:01 am »

Dang, really?  I keep my stove and butchery in my freezer and I only get food poisoning very rarely.  Apparently it takes longer to cook in the freezer, but I sorta hope the efficiency of not having to open and close a door twice makes up for it.  I mean, it probably doesn't, but still.
Cooking skill is generally more important than clean rooms, so if your cook is good enough it matters less. Still, your freezer is "dirty" because of the butcher table, raw food on the ground, possible dirt left by colonists or possible lack of floor.

At cooking skill 8 or so, you could never get food poisoning with a relatively clean kitchen.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: June 30, 2018, 09:44:23 am »

Nutrient paste master race.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: June 30, 2018, 01:35:20 pm »

Oh hey that makes sense, I never built a floor for my freezer one time and every bugger was getting food poisoning.

I also thought it was because the room was incredibly dirty, given nobody was cleaning.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: June 30, 2018, 01:49:45 pm »

I still hate the cleaning. It is the bane of my colonies.

The few gunskilled characters without cleaning disabled is a godsend. Definite always keeps.
Love, scriver~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: June 30, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »

Oh hey that makes sense, I never built a floor for my freezer one time and every bugger was getting food poisoning.

I also thought it was because the room was incredibly dirty, given nobody was cleaning.
Both. Dirt floors hurt room cleanliness but so does a mess. Honestly my kitchen is usually more sterile than the hospital. It's less important but I use it more and a little food poisoning can fuck a lot up.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2997 on: June 30, 2018, 03:13:22 pm »

One mod I never have trouble accepting is the door/floormats mod that forces people to wipe/clean their feet when they run over it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: June 30, 2018, 04:34:32 pm »

One mod I never have trouble accepting is the door/floormats mod that forces people to wipe/clean their feet when they run over it.

That sounds awesome.

I will promptly forget that for the next time I play the game.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: July 01, 2018, 04:06:24 am »

That is odd, I always made sure my hospital was the cleanest 7x7 meters tiles on the planet but I never had trouble with the kitchen, in fact my butchers table is almost always in the same room, usually even within 2 tiles, and the only times I get food poisoning is when either some new recruit I forgot to set the labors of wanders into the kitchen, or when the cook is indisposed and people start gnawing on raw squirrel/rabbit/alphabeaver/dinosaur.

I definitely see now that room cleanliness is indeed a factor, but 10+ cooking skill must more than make up for it, because my kitchens can look like a horror show when I decide I have too many mortar shells and decide there are too many deer on the map, and no-one gets so much as a tummyache.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 280