Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856607 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2880 on: March 26, 2018, 09:04:22 am »

I remember once having to savescum about ten times to save my colony from two megaspiders and three of the scarab things who wandered over from their hive. It was FUN[TM].
Black lives matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: March 26, 2018, 05:25:54 pm »

Another hive popped up much closer to town, that got walled off immediately. Shortly thereafter something happened to the first hive, and the megaspiders decided to say hi to my turkeys. Lost half the flock and most of the rest are injured, but it wasn't a total loss. Thankfully they were single-minded in attacking the turkeys, so that the three people shooting at it - one guy with 8 Shooting and a bolt action rifle who misses most of the time, and two with no skill, revolvers, and a kill count despite - were able to take them down without harm.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:11 pm »

Two years after their divorce, and a few rebuffs later, two of my colonists are back together as lovers. Let's see if they will remarry.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 26, 2018, 09:06:33 pm »

A pirate raid. According to the briefing, they're using intelligent tactics. The last pirate raid was a woman with no pants on. I captured and recruited her. And gave her pants. This time, it was three guys, only one with a shirt(all had pants). Intelligent.

The only damaged they caused was a few minor cuts on their former member. All three were killed and buried swiftly.

Shortly afterwards, the only person in the colony with medical skills, "Yoonie", gets hit with malaria(in a temperate forest). Disease is at 50%, immunity at 40%. I authorize her to self-tend with proper medicine. As she's trying to figure out the pronunciation of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole*, a minor stab wound on the former pirate turns into a full infection. Now she has to manage that. Thankfully, the infection reached 100% immunity at around 75% disease progression using just herbal meds.

While Yoonie was apparently in a feverish daze, she proposed to her boyfriend. He not only refuses, but he breaks up with his severely ill girlfriend. What an asshole. Then he throws a party, then leaves to go play with an alpaca shortly after she shows up.

She's currently at 79% immunity, but the disease is around 73%. She'll survive, but it could be close if something else happens.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: March 27, 2018, 01:01:09 am »

Does disease reaching 100% mean death?
Love, scriver~

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: March 27, 2018, 03:10:37 am »

Does disease reaching 100% mean death?

Disease or immunity? If I recall correctly, the disease goes from minor to extreme or something. Immunity is the one that has percentages. Once it reaches 100%, the disease will be cleared from the body. There's still a small window where the colonist might die, but in most cases they should be safe at that point.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: March 27, 2018, 03:34:42 am »

Akura seem to have disease percentages. I was referring yo those.
Love, scriver~

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: March 27, 2018, 03:38:46 am »

Diseases indeed have percentages, and if they reach 100% it indeed means death, if it didn't, say, reduce wounded chest's "efficiency" to 0% before.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:44:19 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: March 27, 2018, 04:30:48 am »

Yeah, my experience is that when the disease progress hits 100% - death. It's therefore a race between the disease and immunity, the latter depending on blood filtration(which malaria inhibits by the way) and medical care, plus probably bed rest. I have also seen diseases go from minor to major as it progresses, though that didn't happen with the malaria in this case.

Also, the disease doesn't immediately disappear at 100% immunity, the progress starts decreasing instead, and disappears at 0%.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: March 27, 2018, 07:24:48 am »

Yep. Disease increases as long as immunity is not 100%, and when disease reaches 100%, death comes a-knocking.
once immunity reaches 100%, disease% will start to go down.

Immunity increases faster with timely treatment sessions, proper hospital beds, vitals monitors, and better quality medicine. Not sure if treatment quality affects immunity speed.

EDIT: heh, that didn't take long. The two exes remarried.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:59:58 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 27, 2018, 08:28:12 am »

I just aggro'd a migrating herd of 20+ caribous. My two polar bears, backed by two assault gunners in a 2-wide hallway managed to kill them all.

One of my polar bears got whacked in the head so hard, it became a trauma savant.
It lost ability to hear, and talk (??), but it's now very good at manipulation.

Mental image of bowling pin juggling mute and deaf circus polar bear.
On the bright side, it didn't lose any combat critical abilities or limbs. I'll patch him up just fine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tl;dr: trained polar bears OP

EDIT: Holy moly, 41 caribou corpses. I need more freezers, because ofcourse this happens in exactly the one single month that my tundra map has above zero temperatures.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:37:57 am by martinuzz »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: March 27, 2018, 08:53:33 am »

also, observed corpse x41

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:18 am »

I once aggroed a group of 33 caribou because I didn’t realize the ENTIRE HERD would flip their shit at once.

They all ganged up on my shooter.
Black lives matter.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 27, 2018, 09:03:12 am »

also, observed corpse x41
Nah, wildlife corpses don't give any bad thoughts.
Dayum, that's over 10k caribou meat. Am I glad I use a stack size increase mod. Still, that's a lot of stacks of 750.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 27, 2018, 10:33:11 am »

I once aggroed a group of 33 caribou because I didn’t realize the ENTIRE HERD would flip their shit at once.

They all ganged up on my shooter.

Heh, that's actually a pretty easy way to get loads of meat if you have a killbox in.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 280