Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856629 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2865 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:30 am »

It's nonsense because it ruins it for me. Being part of the backstory doesn't make it not nonsense.
That just means you dislike it. You not liking something doesn't make it nonsense. It makes perfect sense in the context of the game's setting and technology that someone could be suspended for any amount of time using that technology. Rimworld takes place far in the future and the tech as been around for a long long time.

Anyway I did a few quick searches and didn't see an existing mod that removes the chronological age. Perhaps that would be a good mod project for you?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: February 23, 2018, 10:59:35 am »

The whole 'asleep for a thousand or more years' does get a little silly, doesn't bother me much though.

The only thing that does bug be a bit is that there are uplifted animals mentioned but don't exist and modified humans (whether through genetic engineering or evolutionary pressure) don't exist outside of super soldiers and everybody seems to be a baseline human.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: February 23, 2018, 11:05:38 am »

It's nonsense because it ruins it for me. Being part of the backstory doesn't make it not nonsense.
That just means you dislike it.

You don't say.
Love, scriver~

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: February 23, 2018, 09:02:04 pm »

Rimworld is set in an incredibly distant future, don't forget. Also when you blast off the end text explicitly mentions that the ship AI might just pick a random planet and *wait thousands of years until someone colonises it and turns it into a Glitterworld.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: February 24, 2018, 11:35:49 am »

Are there any mods which add in those various genetically modified humans and those changed from evolutionary presures that the fiction primer mentions? What with the whole 'our interstellar descendants are the aliens' thing it has going.

I did find the beastman tribes one in the steam workshop. Bit surprised it didn't include uplifted primates or monkeys in there.

Gonna try to do the first runthrough without mods, whether successfully or until my colony gets killed by something, heh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: March 04, 2018, 01:45:24 am »

So, how is Combat Extended these days? I noticed the new version finally hit the workshop, but I haven't enabled it yet. Can't decide if I want to or not, really...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: March 04, 2018, 11:24:47 am »

I found this bit on biological vs chronological age if anyone's still curious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/59cuec/the_wise_and_ancient_thrumbo/d97h7v2/?context=3
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: March 04, 2018, 11:45:20 am »

Thanks a lot! That was super relevant to my interests. I think I can use that hypersleep commonality thing to mod out hypersleep or change it so that it's like just a few years more than real age at most.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: March 16, 2018, 08:14:41 pm »

My current game has been going on for a while, with two fairly established colonies as well as a small party consisting of our best doctor, my longsword-wielding starting colonist Frenchy and his husky off rescuing some "incapacitated refugee" dipshit who has turned out to be pretty much useless but oh well at least they got some decent loot from the bunch of tribals who ambushed them in the process. 

Anyway, I just had a caravan show up whilst another caravan is still hanging around at my first base. Both of them are combat suppliers, and as soon as the second one arrived I paused the game and excitedly checked their info, determined they were from different factions, scrolled through the 'factions' screen and determined... they're enemies! :D
This realisation came just as the first big riff kicked in on the album I'm listening to. I'm so excited. I feel like a young lad on Christmas morn. I even just purchased a triple rocket launcher, which I can no doubt test out on any survivors of this impending dust-up! Oh boy this oughta be great. I should probably get my colonists to a safe distance. Heh.

Let's get ready to rrrrrrumblllllle!   

Edit: Well, in terms of dead, Southwest Thforussia (the second group to arrive) seems to have come out on top, considering the Hatoum Coalition have three dead to their one. But, the Thforussians have several severely wounded amongst their number, who will likely collapse and be left to die shortly after leaving the map - assuming the game tracks that sort of thing when it comes to traders - and one guy left riddled with bullets and buckshot in the middle of the battlefield. Hatoum has only two walking wounded, one of whom is in no immediate danger of bleeding out.

I'm gonna huck a rocket or six at them as they retreat, though, since apparently Southwest Thforussia have friendly relations with my faction whereas Hatoum is at -20. I probably didn't have enough guest beds for a horde of tourists or made them sleep on a dirt floor or something I don't know. Let's see how this goes! I'm not using Combat Extended but rockets should still be pretty brutal, one would imagine.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:27:34 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: March 25, 2018, 08:12:12 pm »

I can now confirm that constructed walls and flooring under an overhead mountain does NOT prevent hive spawn events.
Luckily it spawned in the bedroom of my plasteel knife and shield belt using melee 15 cannibal, who managed to stand his ground against two megaspiders until backup arrived.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: March 25, 2018, 08:19:13 pm »

I just started a new game myself. Next to a mountain. One of the caves has a hive and some megaspiders in it, but far away from my camp. Should I be worried?

This run is going slow since I have nobody with decent mining skill except a pirate torturer who I beat up and am trying to convince to join(she has a few other useful skills as well). Also, she's taking the room I was planning to put a research table in, so no research yet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2876 on: March 25, 2018, 10:03:05 pm »

As of the .16 version, insectoids don't stray far from their hives. However, hives *do* spread out over time.
I *think* the hives are limited to spreading to connected overhead mountain tiles, but I haven't tested this.
I haven't seen any news that stated hives were overhauled, so this is probably still true.

All that means that while it's not critical at the moment, they will become a stronger force over time, and you will have to deal with even more of them when they eventually spread in range.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 25, 2018, 10:30:08 pm »

Insects are nasty not only for packing a punch, but also because they can dig through walls. Build constructed walls if they are digging towards your base (they only do that when they are very near). Your colonists can repair walls much faster than the megaspiders can dig through them (but they won't repair natural rock walls). You might want to get a mod though which allows you to change below which level colonists are allowed to repair walls, unless you want them to queue a job for every half procent of damage the wall takes.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: March 25, 2018, 10:35:43 pm »

I had a game once where there was a hive on my map, far off on the other side... I basically just happily ignored it until eventually a large, heavily-armed outlander caravan marched straight into the canyon it was in on their way off the map. I only noticed what had happened when the last two surviving bugs (only smaller ones, thankfully) came skittering over to attack my colonists.
Judging by the aftermath it must have been quite an entertaining bloodbath. Suffice to say, there was loot a-plenty to be had! :))   
Booze is Life for Yoink

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 26, 2018, 08:00:45 am »

I think I just found out how to prevent the dreaded ZZZZZZzzzt event from causing fires.
I installed power switches between my power grid and the batteries.
Looks like these confine the Zzzzzzt to only draining those batteries that are connected to the grid. There was no broken power line, nor fire.

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 280