Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854229 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1560 on: August 12, 2016, 12:19:45 pm »

I've managed to find a huge plot of mountainous land that's actually a mountain pass. I went in to this new colony expecting to just make a town and have an RP checkpoint that different tribes and colonies have to go through to trade, but it's turned in to several large homesteads, the largest of which is Dickerson's Farm (Also the colony is known as Dickerson's Pass.) While they're certainly going to have a town constructed at some point (playing with the larger pop cap mod), I'm really enjoying RPing these farmers.

Several excited occurrences have already happened including holding up in the Dickerson Ranch House for several days to avoid a pack of roving wargs, and also the the Brennan sisters staking their own claim for an animal farm, which actually turned in to a yorkshire terrier farm. (they have turkeys, but I don't know whether they'll become dog breeders or turkey farmers.)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 12, 2016, 01:20:20 pm »

Why not both?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 12, 2016, 03:10:48 pm »

Why not both?

Just got raided, good planning prevented any serious losses, but Dickerson's Charge Rifle stopped functioning about half way through the raid, leaving the colony with no weapons. The need for a Sheriff and weaponsmith is gonna lead to some urbanization.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 13, 2016, 08:03:10 am »

In the process of installing a peg leg on a prisoner my doctor, exhausted and slightly drunk, cut into the patients pelvis, ribcage, and brain. The peg leg was destroyed in the process.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 13, 2016, 11:36:15 am »

The critical surgery fails are always strange.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 13, 2016, 12:27:07 pm »

The critical surgery fails are always strange.

There's been some critical surgery fails in real life that could match some of these.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 13, 2016, 05:12:04 pm »

Yeah, at least there's only ever one victim in a botched surgery in the game.
Nothing important here, move along.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 13, 2016, 05:14:58 pm »

Yeah, at least there's only ever one victim in a botched surgery in the game.

If you ever get a doctor named Robert Liston I think it might be a good idea to disable anything to do with medical work.

.... Just in case.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 13, 2016, 05:46:27 pm »

At least it's never intentional, I await the day he makes people able to get so angry/doped up on substances that they'll suddenly just lash out and take off parts out of anger. Like that one surgeon who flipped and slashed someone's penis on the surgeon table repeatedly.

Though I'd love for there to be an actual operating theater someday, with multiple people able to operate on a person for better help.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 14, 2016, 01:48:22 am »

Mods...?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 14, 2016, 07:23:33 pm »

Eventually, though mostly I hope for stuff within the base game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: August 14, 2016, 10:07:31 pm »

Hey, I need some advice. I keep getting mental breakdowns early in every single colony. In my current one I got lucky and am only getting dazes instead of berserk ones, but still. Would be nice to know if this is supposed to happen or if I'm doing it wrong.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 14, 2016, 10:24:54 pm »

Hey, I need some advice. I keep getting mental breakdowns early in every single colony. In my current one I got lucky and am only getting dazes instead of berserk ones, but still. Would be nice to know if this is supposed to happen or if I'm doing it wrong.

What kind of thoughts are you getting? Early on it's very easy to stack bad thoughts- especially if you're living in cave. I find setting up a horseshoe pin, individual bedrooms, and a table to eat off of are very worthwhile investments.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 15, 2016, 12:08:29 am »

How nice do the bedrooms have to be?  I know for optimal, no-bad-moodery it's something ridiculous like 6x6 or something, but can you go full sleep-capsule and just have a 1x3 with a bed and a door without any ill-effects?  Normally I try not to do that, because it's pretty lame, but whenever I try to do 'pretty okay' bedrooms it ends up being a massive labor sink that takes eons to get done, during which everyone snaps and goes nuts.

@Teneb, Rimworld's mental breaks are imo a little too harsh/frequent, and I haven't been able to handle them very well since one of the early alphas, but it's relatively manageable if you can get some basic amenities set up.
  • A horseshoe pin is probably the easiest bit of recreation you can get set up early.
  • A room to eat, with chairs and tables, that is clean and has a nice floor is probably one of the easier bits you can get done.
  • Enough sleep and food is vital too - being starved or sleep-deprived is a massive hit to mood.
  • Messes - aka blood, mining-rubble and dirt - can have some nasty effects on morale if they're not cleaned up.  So, like, do that.  IIRC, items lying around on the floor, especially leather and stuff, also make the prettiness of the room plummet.
  • I think darkness has the same effect - at least in your most trafficked rooms, try to install a light.
  • The aforementioned individual rooms with actual beds is pretty useful, but as mentioned, might take some work to get made that you'll want to spend elsewhere setting up your early colony.  Try to get to it sooner rather than later.

There's also the trick of putting a chair where your workshop workers will be standing - supposedly it makes them comfy.  I've heard it's only really effective if you have quality cloth chairs, but I haven't personally confirmed this; you could try it with normal chairs to see for yourself.

Later on, you'll probably want to pretty up the place harder with statues, or get cooler recreational stuff like chess sets or TVs.  That's frankly beyond my experience, though.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 15, 2016, 03:10:23 am »

How nice do the bedrooms have to be?  I know for optimal, no-bad-moodery it's something ridiculous like 6x6 or something, but can you go full sleep-capsule and just have a 1x3 with a bed and a door without any ill-effects? 

not on vanilla game. you get a bunch of long lasting bonuses for that, then the first dark corridor a colonist has to walk in it becomes full berserk. they usually sit 5 to 10 points from total madness.

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 280