Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854175 times)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1590 on: August 17, 2016, 09:08:55 am »

I've played for maybe 70h in total now, and all I can say it's a great game. But, while delivering interesting firefights, the combat system is way too probabilistic. I just had a sniper msis one of the big mechanoids in open field and killing a lying wounded guy instead. Might give the combat realism mod a shot next time.

Having a system that does the physics right in "3D" would be better, but with inaccuracies (weapon + skill) added to the bullet initial velocity and angles + taking into account drag, rain and wind. I once derived an analytic formula for the projectile drag trajectory (but wind and rain can be added just as well), that could be used to check for hitboxes along the way. Such a "3D" approach would also be a natural basis for friendly fire risk assesments, by making the guy have an "assess his own skill/weapon"/self-assesment skill and check if a slight change in initial conditions could put a friend at risk to some acceptable threshold level.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: August 17, 2016, 11:07:42 am »

I've played for maybe 70h in total now, and all I can say it's a great game. But, while delivering interesting firefights, the combat system is way too probabilistic. I just had a sniper msis one of the big mechanoids in open field and killing a lying wounded guy instead. Might give the combat realism mod a shot next time.

Having a system that does the physics right in "3D" would be better, but with inaccuracies (weapon + skill) added to the bullet initial velocity and angles + taking into account drag, rain and wind. I once derived an analytic formula for the projectile drag trajectory (but wind and rain can be added just as well), that could be used to check for hitboxes along the way. Such a "3D" approach would also be a natural basis for friendly fire risk assesments, by making the guy have an "assess his own skill/weapon"/self-assesment skill and check if a slight change in initial conditions could put a friend at risk to some acceptable threshold level.
I'd prefer anything to the current system where with 50 enemies to the front and one approaching from the left every soldier in my firing line turns to the left and shoots the guy beside him in the back.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: August 17, 2016, 11:11:03 am »

yeah combat realism coupled with a 'smarter' targetting ai is basically what this game needs to work well.  CR deals with the lack of rain/darkness/large target silliness but the pawns are still reaaaaallllyyy bad about shooting friends in the skull.
Nom nom nom

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: August 17, 2016, 12:38:29 pm »

I mean, I use mostly shotguns w/ Combat Realism and well, the effects for 4 armed militiamen firing down a narrow hallway are, well, realistic. lol.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: August 17, 2016, 02:16:48 pm »

Massive group of zombies that I knew for a fact that I didn't stand a chance against showed up outside of town, but thankfully milled around for a while before attacking. In an attempt to survive I moved everyone into the catacombs, dug into the mountain that protected the town's northern and eastern approach. I decided to be clever and use the artillery shells I had stockpiled to booby trap the (mostly wooden) town with incendiary traps. The traps were put together so no zombie would trigger one until they'd gotten well into town, but when it was set off the others would go as well and hopefully burn the lot of them to a crisp. After that was done we piled what supplies we could into the catacombs, set up a sandbag barricade in case they didn't all die, and waited.

At around 6:00 the next morning they started moving with purpose toward the town, most toward the catacombs and others to destroy random stuff. Then they reached the traps, as expected. As much as I hated to destroy my own town I was pretty excited to see my plan in action, so I was a little bit disappointed when the IED didn't manage to trigger the next one in line. It had started a grass fire and ignited the buildings on either side of the street, so there was some hope, but it likely wouldn't come fast enough to stop the horde from breaking down the door. Sure enough there were still about 15 singed but essentially unharmed zombies banging on the heavy steel doors. Six colonists fired into the advancing crowd, but I only had survival rifles and had to retreat after a couple of shots.

We separated into three groups of two thinking smaller groups would be more manageable, but I knew it was over. Two colonists were followed by the majority of the horde and cornered in a mausoleum without even getting a shot off. Two more colonists were overrun at the end of a long hallway but did manage to kill all but one of their four pursuers. The last pair holed up in an ancient cryptosleep room I'd unearthed earlier and actually managed to kill the three that had followed them initially, but one was too injured to fight afterward and they were overwhelmed when the rest came after them.

In hindsight, I made pretty much all the wrong choices for dealing with this. Still fun, 10/10 zombie mod.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: August 17, 2016, 02:22:34 pm »

Shotguns in a narrow hall is even more fun when those shotguns are automatic.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: August 17, 2016, 03:23:18 pm »

Jef Major is doing a stream of Rimworld right now. Makes me want to play it again.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: August 17, 2016, 04:25:25 pm »

Shotguns in a narrow hall is even more fun when those shotguns are automatic.
I like to have a nice killing field with staggered barbed wire and 4 KPV's with incendiary ammo. It's like art. Fiery, screaming art.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: August 17, 2016, 05:06:52 pm »

You dont have an AGS? What is this?! At the least having one ready for the cheesebots would be a good idea.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: August 17, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »

You dont have an AGS? What is this?! At the least having one ready for the cheesebots would be a good idea.
You sir, are eating desert before dinner. You never use the AGS against attacking enemies, you'll blow up all your barbed wire and give them a clear path to escape. When hope has left their eyes and their lust for plunder has been replaced by abject mortal terror you garnish their defeat with the crack of twin AGS's set to aimed single shot. The wire's still intact so it's just a matter of picking off the retreating foe one or two at a time while they scramble across the entanglement.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: August 17, 2016, 07:51:06 pm »

There are always the EMP rounds. Though, I admit that I am disappointed that there are no shot shells for the cannon or for the grenade launchers.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: August 17, 2016, 08:53:22 pm »

Hope there are going to be a few more drugs at the start. Specifically painkillers. More types of booze being added would also be cool, now that brewing is more involved.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 17, 2016, 09:48:10 pm »

Why is it called yayo and not cocaine? Yayo is the worst name for cocaine, and I'm counting nose clams.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: August 17, 2016, 11:25:17 pm »

Been playing this game nonstop for the past week, wow.

Is there something like medieval mod but without the ridiculous quantity of extra clothes? I hate clothes.

Is it possible to download someone else's save? I would love to play as the 1 wanderer who comes and finds a destroyed base on some level.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 280