Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854329 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1500 on: July 29, 2016, 08:38:19 pm »

can you cook with Pemmican in the game like you can in real life?
No it's treated as a prepared meal.

O_o odd, given it is typically cooked to my knowledge (though you can eat it raw)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 29, 2016, 08:41:19 pm »

O_o odd, given it is typically cooked to my knowledge (though you can eat it raw)
I'm not sure it was actually cooked until settlers started eating it and complained that it tasted like pemmican.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 31, 2016, 12:47:24 pm »

Bashkire is an abrasive gay man who dislikes women. He's always in a sour mood because the straight men in the colony don't return his advances and he keeps insulting women because he's a dick. Between those two factors he keeps getting into fistfights with people who are REALLY good at punching. My instinct was to remove his jaw so he couldn't talk but the fort is in between crises so I got creative and built a hunting lodge for troubled pawns to vacation to when they need some space.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It sleeps two couples contains two bows, a shotgun, and a rifle. The freezers allow occupants to store the meat from what they shoot and the wood burning stove let's them cook it. There's a manual tailor's workbench for a bit of leatherworking and a wood generator to keep the lights on. Even though it's 10F outside the geyser keeps it 70 inside. If anyone manages to get hypothermia the vents can be opened and closed to increase the temperature inside to 90 until the chill gets worked out of their bones. Something to fiddle with to stave off the boredom that comes with a late game colony.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 31, 2016, 02:47:38 pm »

Woah. Any mods, or has it just been that long since I've played Rimworld?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 31, 2016, 02:49:53 pm »

I'm thinking a few mods, since I've never seen vents or small freezers like that in the newest alpha.
Black lives matter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 31, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »

Woah. Any mods, or has it just been that long since I've played Rimworld?
The refrigerated meat storage and the 1x1 equipment racks are modded.  The rest is pure vanilla.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 31, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »

It would be hilarious if you could cook meat by leaving it in a really hot room. I know that temperatures can get high enough for flammable stuff to spontaneously combust, so it would be cool to use a geyser to steam stuff if you don't have a good cook.
Nothing important here, move along.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 31, 2016, 03:08:41 pm »

I do like that hospital sleeping spot next to the steam geyser.

'Broke your leg did you? OFF TO THE STEAMING ROOM!'
It's really just for warming up after getting hypothermia. My only real injury in the lodge was one of my pawns getting mauled by a grizzly and for that I brought them into the actual base.

I'm thinking a few mods, since I've never seen vents or small freezers like that in the newest alpha.
Lots and lots of mods, RedistHeat adds a bunch of temperature stuff but also makes vents less obnoxious. The freezers lockers and wood pallets are from expanded storage.  The lockers are 2x1 like equipment racks and I don't know if they have any merits besides looking cool. Edit: Also the reason everything is lit up is because of ceiling lights which are not vanilla.

It would be hilarious if you could cook meat by leaving it in a really hot room. I know that temperatures can get high enough for flammable stuff to spontaneously combust, so it would be cool to use a geyser to steam stuff if you don't have a good cook.
The geyser actually set the first hunting lodge on fire, hence the vents in the back. Tragically cooking like that isn't possible but I've been toying with designs for a waste disposal furnace.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:22:59 pm by Broseph Stalin »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 31, 2016, 03:26:35 pm »

...Wait, how do they get into the sleeping spot?
Black lives matter.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 31, 2016, 03:34:12 pm »

...Wait, how do they get into the sleeping spot?
They don't, that's actually vestigal. The door made it harder to control the temperature. I realized that I could just close the back vents and open the front vents wider but never got around to removing the sleeping spot. .

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 01, 2016, 05:47:19 am »

What's the deal with medkits, are they only increasing treatment chance and some other small things as per the wikipedia? Or do I absolutely need them for surgeries? There's an ingame message telling me I should ensure I have the relevant supplies. Tools, analgesics, antibiotics - all in one? Or can I do without and still get the same effect if the guy is skilled enough?

I'm no big fan of the one-kit-does-it-all system. There should be different drugs for different purposes, and ideally a medical desk to assist in determining disease or infection cause and so on, and then based on that apply the right medicine where herbal, normal, and glitterworld ideally would be different tiers.

A lot of diseases get treated only by doctoring, when they shouldn't. Asthma, for example, should require herbal treatment minimum.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 01, 2016, 05:57:41 am »

What's the deal with medkits, are they only increasing treatment chance and some other small things as per the wikipedia? Or do I absolutely need them for surgeries? There's an ingame message telling me I should ensure I have the relevant supplies. Tools, analgesics, antibiotics - all in one? Or can I do without and still get the same effect if the guy is skilled enough?

I'm no big fan of the one-kit-does-it-all system. There should be different drugs for different purposes, and ideally a medical desk to assist in determining disease or infection cause and so on, and then based on that apply the right medicine where herbal, normal, and glitterworld ideally would be different tiers.

A lot of diseases get treated only by doctoring, when they shouldn't. Asthma, for example, should require herbal treatment minimum.
There's a drug system proper in the works, apparently. You need at least Herbal for surgeries - presumably for the sedatives - but otherwise, they only increase odds of succeeding AFAIK.

Asthma doesn't require medicine, I think, because it would make it not worth taking as a disability. It doesn't do much and would quickly whittle down your medicine stash for little gain.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 01, 2016, 10:19:12 am »

But what about medicine that applies a long term suppression of the disease? We can sort of reason it with 'future tech'.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 01, 2016, 11:25:19 am »

My colony just went up in flames and everybody died.

Having three pyromaniacs and only two people capable of firefighting is a total nightmare.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1514 on: August 01, 2016, 11:31:24 am »

My colony just went up in flames and everybody died.

Having three pyromaniacs and only two people capable of firefighting is a total nightmare.
I haven't been accepting any pyromaniacs in my colony for exactly this reason. We got one who joined automatically, but he was summarily executed after a fire he set led to the deaths of two people.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 280