Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854328 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1485 on: July 28, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »

Much of Rimworld's animal behavior is explained by psychic events.  That's what causes mad animals and manhunters, and probably causes packs of animals to wander in already tamed.

Well... Not always. I'd put it about 50% of the time.

Most Manhunter packs are simply... well... packs of hunting animals.

And a lot of the time a mad animal is just hungry (bonus points that if they fall asleep they aren't mad anymore)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 28, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »

And a lot of the time a mad animal is just hungry (bonus points that if they fall asleep they aren't mad anymore)
Yeah sleep has some interesting effects. I think one of my colonists is only pretending to have a drinking problem, she keeps going on binges that involve her ignoring the booze and going to bed- presumably telling everyone she passed out. 

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:14 am »

animals not escaping while hunted is more of a blance act than anything, with hunting rifles being so shoddy in game even in hands of 8+ shooters

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 29, 2016, 06:24:51 am »

Much of Rimworld's animal behavior is explained by psychic events.  That's what causes mad animals and manhunters, and probably causes packs of animals to wander in already tamed.

Don't forget the cataclysmic toxic fallout events, ash rains, ship-part impacts and terraforming mechanoid ships landing on the planet every other week.  Animals can get really weird when they are stressed out that much.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:38 am »

Don't forget the cataclysmic toxic fallout events, ash rains, ship-part impacts and terraforming mechanoid ships landing on the planet every other week.  Animals can get really weird when they are stressed out that much.

Honestly the sheer amount of cataclysmic events that go off on that planet makes me wonder how the world it even lasted to the point where it even had thick jungles or forests.

I know it is silly but I kind of think the game should give the planet more flora and fauna that are actually built to survive on this planet. Trees that can survive toxic fallout, plants that can survive constant cold-snaps.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 29, 2016, 08:05:30 am »

Well, the only answer is that everything is genetically engineered and grown in vats.  There's just a massive cloning facility for wildlife that you never get to see or hear about.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: July 29, 2016, 08:11:19 am »

Well, the only answer is that everything is genetically engineered and grown in vats.  There's just a massive cloning facility for wildlife that you never get to see or hear about.

If we are going for bs explanations that aren't hinted at.

How about that Rimworld is actually purely fiction even in universe. It is just stuff told by the story tellers and the inconsistencies are just narrative causality.

Like how Planes are 10000% more likely to crash when Superman is around.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 29, 2016, 08:25:58 am »

I mean, no need to be rude.  A lot of the wildlife actually do say they are genetically engineered or cloned off of ancient DNA patterns so it's not actually that implausible.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: July 29, 2016, 08:27:20 am »

I mean, no need to be rude.  A lot of the wildlife actually do say they are genetically engineered or cloned off of ancient DNA patterns so it's not actually that implausible.

xD sorry I didn't mean your explanation was a load of bull.

I dunno I get the impression that those facilities would be shut down by now... or creating something far more... odd.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 29, 2016, 08:44:44 am »

Why would they?  The DNA is probably electronically stored, not based on a physical base, so it's not going to mutate.  Solar power and simple machines means no AI uprising/revolt.  It just pushes out a llama a week and keeps doing it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 29, 2016, 10:02:57 am »

Well, theres an item that lets you make all the animals on the map go manhunter.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: July 29, 2016, 12:31:28 pm »

Animal revenge and manhunter are a bit different though.  When the man-hunter's show up from an event, psychic weapon or psychic wave they stay manhunters even after they sleep or if they get KO'ed but live and recover.  The animal revenge ones wear off the same as when random animals go berserk from starvation or unhappiness.
Nom nom nom

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: July 29, 2016, 08:23:58 pm »

I have a weird relationship with Pemmican. When I first started playing and I didn't realize how simple and affordable a freezer was I was obsessed with it. It was a refreshing reprieve from having my colonists dig up dead pirates when food stores ran low. Now I hate it, it's the worst kind of garbage and it's only worthy of being food for prisoners. I saw a deer eating some pemmican out of the rolling hills of the stuff that the tribals left and I drafted my sharpshooter, gave him an incendiary launcher, and set that deer on fire because that is MY pemmican you bastard deer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 29, 2016, 08:29:20 pm »

can you cook with Pemmican in the game like you can in real life?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: July 29, 2016, 08:36:53 pm »

can you cook with Pemmican in the game like you can in real life?
No it's treated as a prepared meal.

Also 10 billion wags blitzkrieged the fortress and now I have all the warg meat ever. This follows 10 billion boomrats blitzkrieging the fortress and giving me all the boomrat meat and fire ever.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:38:29 pm by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 280