Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854479 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1410 on: July 23, 2016, 02:50:37 pm »

so the minimum room for not getting bad thoughts is 6x6, wtf?

everyone is always on the brink of depression.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:02 pm »

so the minimum room for not getting bad thoughts is 6x6, wtf?

everyone is always on the brink of depression.

Ohh man... it is like taking care of a colony... Of Me!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 23, 2016, 04:11:37 pm »

I just give my people big-ass rooms, stuff like 6x12 or 7x14, and then add joy stuff and dining tables inside them. It's not like it's DF with a hundred plus people to care for, so the space isn't really that big of a concern.

--

Damn it though, I forgot about how often friendly fire happens. Oddly enough though it was all non-lasting. Each of the scars my people have were caused by bizarre accidents or enemy fire. My researcher/doctor had her nose cut off by a spear thrown through an embrasure she was defending, and my ex-bounty hunter lost a finger and an ear to a trap.

Speaking of, bad times in this colony. Things were fairly good, I had two couples who (apart from the odd friendly fire incident and the bounty hunter disliking the rest for not being hard workers) were all stable.

And then LeBlanc came. The bitch. She was almost useless, basically no worthwhile skills apart from social, a former noble with Abrasive. She immediately started snubbing the doctor about her missing nose (which is even more twisted considering that the doc has Beautiful). We're already low on food and there are too many things to do without the added time sink of making another home. What's really bad, though, is that she's also the bounty hunter's sister, so it's a tad risky for her to wander off naked and unarmed for an unfortunate fistfight with a panther and a late-night trip to a fresh grave, since moods are already dipping a bit.

Fuck. I mean, I've killed off the last five or six people who joined/could have been recruited, 'cause they're all the same talentless wastes of food who'd cause social problems.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 23, 2016, 05:01:43 pm »

Give everyone a swanky-as-hell bedroom, get lavish meals being made, keep everyone busy, and have a nice rec room, and people will deal with nearly anything. Except jealous people. Those are the people you use as cannon fodder/organ donors.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 23, 2016, 05:07:54 pm »

I ended up with like 4 jealous people at one point because I was recruiting everyone that I could. It ended in death and destruction.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 23, 2016, 05:28:39 pm »

By the by, do natural stone walls give bad thoughts?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 23, 2016, 07:42:08 pm »

I would like to see the ability to smooth natural walls as you can floors. Annoying to have to mine out an extra area around what you want in order to place constructed walls.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 23, 2016, 08:07:38 pm »

Greedy people, too.

I had a greedy person. Gave him a room that was I think 6x10, had a royal bed, smoothed stone floor, about 6 plantpots and wooden walls.

'Mah room's not impressive enough!'
There impressive and there's beautiful. Impressiveness is stuff like silver floors, but mostly really big honking statues. You were just giving them a beautiful environment room. When they have an impressive bedroom though, it is basically a bonus that is always on them from then on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 23, 2016, 09:46:00 pm »

Greedy people, too.

I had a greedy person. Gave him a room that was I think 6x10, had a royal bed, smoothed stone floor, about 6 plantpots and wooden walls.

'Mah room's not impressive enough!'
There impressive and there's beautiful. Impressiveness is stuff like silver floors, but mostly really big honking statues. You were just giving them a beautiful environment room. When they have an impressive bedroom though, it is basically a bonus that is always on them from then on.
To wit, "impressiveness" is an aggregate stat that combines the other four: wealth, space, beauty, and cleanliness.  Big and clean rooms are good, but the real method to impressiveness is beautiful and expensive items.  Statues, as stated in this post, are quite impressive at this. This also means that if your room is close to the edge, simply tracking dirt in the room can upset your greedy person. 

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 24, 2016, 04:25:12 am »

Well, my doctor just accidently expertly removed a lung from a prisoner instead of amputating their left arm.
I mean. It really feels like simple amputation should not involve surgically slicing into the torso and removing their lungs. And as I recall, a lung does NOT look like an arm.

Though it's hard to be mad when they removed the lung so well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:43:46 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1420 on: July 24, 2016, 08:09:19 am »

I once had a doctor manage to kill someone when removing their kidney by cutting off their throat.
my headcanon for those events is the doctor had a very badly timed sneeze/trip/whatever, and sliced up the jugular.
Expertly removing a lung... well... I guess there was a fuckup in the charts. Someone got confused about the arm vs leg, and then wrote Lung instead of Leg.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 24, 2016, 04:51:35 pm »

wait, so there are stockpiles but no bins/barrels/chests for item stacking without mods?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 24, 2016, 05:03:02 pm »

Items do stack but it depends on the item in question.
Lots of items (materials like steel or wood, and raw food items) go to 75, but some like silver can go pretty high.
Black lives matter.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 24, 2016, 05:09:53 pm »

I don't think it's literally their neck, but the bits that keep them alive.
Black lives matter.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 24, 2016, 05:15:25 pm »

Yah, it depends on the item. Without mods, theres no way to fit more in a smaller space, besides turning it into something.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 280