Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854389 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1425 on: July 24, 2016, 05:39:01 pm »

Apparently someone's made a mod that allows multiplayer trading.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=22114.0

Basically: Those connected to the server cluster can send resources to other connected players.  Cannot send pawns, and times are not connected - an old colony can trade with a young colony.

It might be super fun to do a set of multiplayer games where we try to keep the same timelines going.  Every 6AM we stop and wait for everyone else to get to 6AM, which is also the only time that trade may be done.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 24, 2016, 05:42:05 pm »

Items stack pretty decently. Meals are 10x, medicine is either 10x or 25x (I don't remember), raw materials go higher than that. The single Z-level, limited needs, and small colony size (relative to DF) mean that unless you're on a really large map and constantly mining you won't need that much storage space, maybe just a 10x10 each for food, weapons, armor/clothes, and perhaps two of those for raw materials. It's less "pack away twenty years worth of stuff" and more having enough on hand to deal with two or three crises (and off-seasons for farming) plus day-to-day consumption.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: July 24, 2016, 05:44:22 pm »

I have a stack of about 40 medicine, but it's Glitterworld medicine.
Black lives matter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 24, 2016, 06:22:50 pm »

Meals stacks to 10, almost all materials stack to 75, including medicines and foods, silver/gold/jade/uranium/haygrass stacks to 400.  Prosthetics, apparel, weapons, and anything installed as furniture (art, TV's, etc) are singular.

A colonist can normally carry 1 stacks of items, whatever that item's stack limit is, but this is modified by their 'manipulation' health aspect.  Missing an arm can only carry half as much, and bionics allows them to carry more.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 24, 2016, 06:29:27 pm »

If you have animals smart enough to haul and train them to do so they can carry items up to whatever their capacity is.
Black lives matter.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 25, 2016, 01:22:02 am »

Hah. So some traders decided that it'd be a great idea to visit my little town when there's a manhunting pack of boomalopes outside my walls. They waltz in, decide to use their sniper rifles at close range, die, I trade with the survivors, and they leave.

But I actually see a downed trader party member. BEING THE NICE PERSON I AM, I decide to rescue them. Mainly because of what I hoped would be a relationship boost reward. But alas. The game had a different idea for what would happen. I get some visitors from the same town the next day, and when they see the legless patient (which I already was making a peg leg for) sitting in my expertly made hospital beds watching TV, they decide that they have to RESCUE this person!

So what does this party do when they see a wounded comrade being treated well and healed by me before being released? They make a run for the patient, grab him, and instead of going out through the adjacent exit that they came in through, they decide that they really didn't like a particular section of wall and break out. Instead of, you know, using the door.

And so ends the tale of the wounded man. Valiantly rescued from a hospital by noble heroes.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 25, 2016, 03:12:51 am »

PTW

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 25, 2016, 03:56:48 am »

If you have animals smart enough to haul and train them to do so they can carry items up to whatever their capacity is.

once a trainer is experienced enough wolves makes for incredibly useful companions. just don't overdo it because they will eat a lot of live animals reducing the game for the colony significantly

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 25, 2016, 04:39:44 am »

Great game, picked it up after reading a bit about it here. It isn't DF, but it's got a lot of potential.

However, I have a question about Cassandra. Will difficulty increase linearly regardless of my progress until I lose, or are you supposed to stabilize the threats at the same pace (is it even theoretically possible)? Should I for example expect 10+ raiders or many raids in series at some point? Is there an endless amount of pirates in those settlements?

Are there any essential mods?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:02 am »

Ok I have a theory

The reason why Rats aren't "Advanced" is actually mercy on the player because Rats have too small a carrying capacity and your essentially wasting your time.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 25, 2016, 04:58:31 am »

Obviously the solution is to implement trainable rat hordes.

Because having your allies dragged to the hospital by a swarm of rats is always a morale-boosting sight.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 25, 2016, 05:01:49 am »

Rats aren't "advanced" because a <1 pound rat can't possibly drag a >150 pound person or lug around a bunch of stone bricks.
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 25, 2016, 05:13:39 am »

Rats aren't "advanced" because a <1 pound rat can't possibly drag a >150 pound person or lug around a bunch of stone bricks.

Well yes :P that is why my theory is.

Even though a Rat is intelligent enough to be classified as advanced.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 25, 2016, 06:44:10 am »

Giant intelligent ants?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 25, 2016, 07:20:35 am »

Great game, picked it up after reading a bit about it here. It isn't DF, but it's got a lot of potential.

However, I have a question about Cassandra. Will difficulty increase linearly regardless of my progress until I lose, or are you supposed to stabilize the threats at the same pace (is it even theoretically possible)? Should I for example expect 10+ raiders or many raids in series at some point? Is there an endless amount of pirates in those settlements?

Are there any essential mods?
You'll see a lot more than that, depending on difficulty setting. I remember sieges of 20+ with 2-3 mortars. There's a reason I put as much as possible beneath mountains even though cooling is a pain.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 280