Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854828 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1140 on: April 21, 2016, 01:41:51 pm »

i started on randy on the mid tier setting, its a nice balance with random and keeping the pressure on ( the ludicrous maps are fun) lightening strikes cause a fire that burnt half the map ( and i had 3 days of colonists beating fires out as it got close) there should be an option of allowing me to send colonists to any fire anywhere on the map to put it out without strucutres im sure that will come in 14 alpha

Note that any drafted colonists will beat any fires that are in range, so that's a way to specify but requires quite a bit of micromanaging.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 21, 2016, 06:13:37 pm »

i started on randy on the mid tier setting, its a nice balance with random and keeping the pressure on ( the ludicrous maps are fun) lightening strikes cause a fire that burnt half the map ( and i had 3 days of colonists beating fires out as it got close) there should be an option of allowing me to send colonists to any fire anywhere on the map to put it out without strucutres im sure that will come in 14 alpha

Note that any drafted colonists will beat any fires that are in range, so that's a way to specify but requires quite a bit of micromanaging.
You can also just expand the home area under the zones/stockpiles menu.  Then any place that is labeled 'home' gets fires beat out.  You can also remove home if you don't want colonists trying to beat out fires around fire-proof stone buildings.
Nom nom nom

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 22, 2016, 07:23:10 pm »

I have been walled for 2 years.  3 frikking gold.  That's all I need until I can build the research booster to continue.   3 gold.

Not a single trader has shown up with a lick of gold in 2 years.   Not even any gold objects for smelting.  I've fought off mechanoids and spaceship parts, and I've just defeated a 20 or 30 man tribal raid DURING a toxic fallout. I have enough chickens to open up a KFC.  Still only 17 pieces of gold.

I have started randomly tunneling into the mountains hoping to find some gold.  Does gold even spawn in rock or is that just steel and silver?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1143 on: April 22, 2016, 07:29:36 pm »

Can confirm gold does rarely spawn in rock

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 23, 2016, 08:15:30 am »

Oh man I feel your pain.  Gold is pretty rare as a tile and a trade good.  Getting locked out of the multi-analyzer is brutal and I had the same issue on my small flat map (mined everywhere but no gold to be had, had to wait some years)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 23, 2016, 08:29:45 am »

I have been walled for 2 years.  3 frikking gold.  That's all I need until I can build the research booster to continue.   3 gold.

Not a single trader has shown up with a lick of gold in 2 years.   Not even any gold objects for smelting.  I've fought off mechanoids and spaceship parts, and I've just defeated a 20 or 30 man tribal raid DURING a toxic fallout. I have enough chickens to open up a KFC.  Still only 17 pieces of gold.

I have started randomly tunneling into the mountains hoping to find some gold.  Does gold even spawn in rock or is that just steel and silver?

Spoiler: actual spoiler sorta (click to show/hide)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 25, 2016, 04:55:22 am »

So, with this new update, I decided to give this game a shot as the relationship system made it look more immersive to me and I have to say ... I'm hooked!!! Amazing game!

My first fort, played on rough with cassandra and having so much fun, just to give an example of the current situation:

I have a base built up quite nicely in a mountain (dwarf fortress is in my blood :o) - 4 man, 1 woman, good suplies, defences etc. And now the nexus of events:
a) Psychic drone affecting males - all getting a substantial mood hit.
b) I decided to hunt a muffalo from a herd - as ... "winter is coming"!

So what happens next ...
- My hunter shoots the muffalo and the muffalo herd goes into manhunt rampage mode, chasing me around the map, they manage to kill one of my guys that was out of the camp, 2 others are injured and in medical beds.

- On the plus side, I had a caravan in the camp so they fight with the rampaging muffalo herd and with the help of my turrets i get to take them down (caravan destroyed completely though, probably plus as i get to have their stuff).

- At the same time I get hit by a tribe raid, I manage to fend it off with 2 turrets but out of sheer stupidity I order my only capable defender to try to repair a turret right before it blowing up ... well it did blow up with him next to it, so the guy is completely messed up (so now all 3 guys are injured and in medical).

- A bit of time passes, the surviving colonist (the woman - poor gal) manages to patch up the guys somewhat and they start moving around, but are under extreme stress as they basically have the psychic drone, plus a friend killed and other depressions (including a cannibalism, due to me cooking one raider a while ago).

- The main soldier breaks down and goes in berserk mode attacking the tame husky i have. I manage to put him down but now he's in even worse condition than before.

- One of the others gets infection.

I'm loving this!!!!!!!! I wonder if i'll survive and manage to get back up :)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:46:45 am by Aqma »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 25, 2016, 05:58:59 am »

Just wait till a bug hive pops up in your hospital...  :D

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 26, 2016, 10:42:59 am »

I don't know why hadn't thought this before I read it in some reddit thread.

Whenever I made my "central heating/cooling" (usually a winding corridor that spans most of my base), I raise my coolers to 22C and lower my heaters to 20C (when they're both at 21C they seem to be constantly fighting and at High power consumption).

But it turns out that if you have a lot of coolers, instead of putting all of them at 22C, it's best to put them like, one at 22, one at 23, one at 24, and so on (the reverse for heaters). Then the rest at whatever the tolerance limit for cold/hot is - something like 11C to 32C. That way, they all work in High mode until their threshold, and then switch to Low, so most of the time you only have a couple of cooler/heaters working, while the rest only kick in during really hot/cold days.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 08, 2016, 03:53:28 am »

Finally got to play it and I gotta say, mouse input is invaluable. It's so hard to come back to DF after this.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 10, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »

Currently parked in the top-left corner of my map, and wow does it change some things. 9/10 attacks come from quite far away so I can send snipers to harass waiting/artillery people, plus I'm not in a mountain, I have a sandbag-walled compound, so sappers do jack crap.

Apart from the occasional attack from behind (which I've now gotten around with a pretty nifty wall/tunnel system, the whole thing has turned out really well.

So hey, mountainous maps. Who knew.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 15, 2016, 08:56:06 am »

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the frequency of waves is hardcoded in as some sort of "events" and the game just RNG chooses what kind of fresh hell it sends you at that point. IIRC this is why if you get all goodie goodie with tribals you'll still have the same frequency of raids just only pirates/outlanders.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 15, 2016, 09:48:43 am »

So if you want an easier time its basically a good idea to keep gunning down all the natives?

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #1153 on: May 15, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »

This is relevant to my interests. I await a demo with bated breath.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 16, 2016, 02:08:03 am »

There's a mod on the forums that adds a new Storyteller that's centered around farming/base building. It'll still eventually send baddies your way, but gradually enough that you don't feel rushed to focus on defense everything else be damned. My main beef with the default game right now is that it's not really RimWorld so much as RimTowerDefence
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 280