Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854921 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1065 on: October 31, 2015, 11:37:48 am »

Is TynanSylvester dead? What's the ETA on his return or Steam release?
He's on hiatus, taking a vacation from Rimworld I believe for 6 months.

As for steam, who knows? I doubt it will be any time soon.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 31, 2015, 12:56:59 pm »

If I recall correctly, he originally planned to release on steam then go on sabbatical, but realized the optics issues he'd probably get from the new steam users and so decided to take the sabbatical, then release on steam.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 25, 2015, 09:29:35 am »

I decided to give the latest build a go.

I was all "well, obviously, I have to play it Vanilla so that I know what's new."

Then after playing a few hours and wanting to restart, I'm all "hm, I'm bored of rerolling so many times to get a decent doctor/cook/recruiter, I wonder if that Prepare Carefully mod is already updated."

Fifteen minutes later, I have installed 52 mods.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 25, 2015, 10:03:22 am »

That includes a modpack I hope.

I dont think there is a way to get 52 mods without one where the game still works...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:42 pm »

Mods, are just lost on me. Almost never see a mod, that I cared enough to bother with. There been like 3. The fan patch for Master of Orion 2, the fan patch for Fallout 2 and the higher resolution mod for Fallout 2. Recently experimented with Mods for game dev tycoon. And that was utterly pointless.

And I do look for mods, just that it seems my needs are to exacting for them to exist and my apathy to great to do it myself. Like, I would love a mod for Spiderweg Games Avernum series, so I can change its keybinding, as I dont have a numpad.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 25, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »

This game is way too simple without the mods. With them its pretty good
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 25, 2015, 03:37:28 pm »

Mods, are just lost on me. Almost never see a mod, that I cared enough to bother with. There been like 3. The fan patch for Master of Orion 2, the fan patch for Fallout 2 and the higher resolution mod for Fallout 2. Recently experimented with Mods for game dev tycoon. And that was utterly pointless.

And I do look for mods, just that it seems my needs are to exacting for them to exist and my apathy to great to do it myself. Like, I would love a mod for Spiderweg Games Avernum series, so I can change its keybinding, as I dont have a numpad.
What are you looking for in a mod then? I didn't even know game dev tycoon was complex enough for mods.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 25, 2015, 04:38:10 pm »

So then you're also saying its pretty bad without them. If there wasnt mods, you wouldnt be playing it. My reaction is then why bother. There are always other games to play.

What are you looking for in a mod then? I didn't even know game dev tycoon was complex enough for mods.
Oh yea, there quite a lot of mods for Game Dev Tycoon on the steam workshop. Most of them are horseshit. Though take that from someone who just never been enthused about mods. Most of them about adding in even more consoles, or adding in even more categories. There was one I did try, that was for DLC. That was hapless. I would get DLC released for the game before I got review of the game. And the DLC sales would be greater then the actual sale of the game. It advertised itself, if I recall, as not a cheat mod.

I dont have very many mod wants from RimWorld. DF style burrows would sparsely be useful. Item stacking would be useful. Though I'm turned off by the quantum stockpile mods out there. If I wanted to cheat, I would just cheat. I want there tobe more to do with AI cores. Havent seen much with that. 

I have an id for a new subsystem to mgm, called Cycles. Where it uses the AI cores to drive automatic doors, the turrets, and expanding it also turn on and off heaters and AC. And the AI core would have social needs so someone would have to go talk to it. Though that gets really close to the camera and wiring shenanigans from PA, and well then I should just go play PA. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 25, 2015, 05:00:49 pm »

So then you're also saying its pretty bad without them. If there wasnt mods, you wouldnt be playing it. My reaction is then why bother. There are always other games to play.
Wow, that's an awfully binary way to look at things. "It's not great so it's shit and you shouldn't play it."

There are people who played and enjoyed Daikatana unironically. Almost nothing is so bad that it's honestly fair to just tell people not to play it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1074 on: November 25, 2015, 05:46:20 pm »

I dont have very many mod wants from RimWorld. DF style burrows would sparsely be useful.
It already exists. Area designations. Not sure of the mod name that added it, but it was part of this non-packed mod pack

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 25, 2015, 05:47:23 pm »

Thats also in the basegame, isint it?

At the least, I am almost certain it is.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1076 on: November 25, 2015, 05:48:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure it wasn't as robust as what I was using, but I can't say for certain.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 25, 2015, 07:47:16 pm »

I have an id for a new subsystem to mgm, called Cycles. Where it uses the AI cores to drive automatic doors, the turrets, and expanding it also turn on and off heaters and AC. And the AI core would have social needs so someone would have to go talk to it. Though that gets really close to the camera and wiring shenanigans from PA, and well then I should just go play PA.
It sounds less like you have a problem with mods and more you don't want to repeat things you've seen somewhere else already because it means you could be doing something else without mods.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 25, 2015, 10:03:10 pm »

That includes a modpack I hope.

I dont think there is a way to get 52 mods without one where the game still works...

No, I just downloaded one by one.
Some were by the same person, not exactly a pack tho, they were independent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So far they all seem to work.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 25, 2015, 11:55:15 pm »

Wow, that's an awfully binary way to look at things. "It's not great so it's shit and you shouldn't play it."

There are people who played and enjoyed Daikatana unironically. Almost nothing is so bad that it's honestly fair to just tell people not to play it.

Yea, sure play whatever you like. Most folks tend to shy away from bad games, and they're forgotten and erased from memory with nostalgia. I just find it curious why you'd stick around just in case mods come to make it better. There only so much that can be done if the base is crap. And then at some point, you've replaced so much of the game with mods, that you're not actually playing the base game. So my reaction to that then, is why bother? Lots of other games out there.There no shortage of them.

It sounds less like you have a problem with mods and more you don't want to repeat things you've seen somewhere else already because it means you could be doing something else without mods.
To an extent sure. I also find it acceptable to be bored with a game, and let it rest then come back to it. I'm not right now playing Rimworld. I've played a lot of it. I'll get back to it sooner then later. Becoming bored isn't a failed state for a game.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 280