Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854925 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1035 on: September 13, 2015, 05:28:03 pm »

So, having read this thread numerous times, I finally broke and went berserk bought the alpha.  Figured I'd play around with it for a little while and see what's in-game already.

Now it's six hours later and I don't know where my day went.  I have, however, achieved a freezer room stocked with alphabeavers.  I count this as a minor success.  We won't talk about the prisoner that I tried to recruit before realising she had a leg infection and casting her out into the desert ('releasing' her) to die.

I'm liking this so far.  Mind you, I'm playing on a nice, calm AI setting.   :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 13, 2015, 06:00:40 pm »

Hmm, you might want to consider amputating her leg in the future instead...

Also: provided you have enough medicinal herbs you can turn prisoners into unwilling organ donors...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 13, 2015, 07:43:04 pm »

I harvest them for organs personally...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:06 pm »

What is this 'prisoner'? I see only a walking organ-farm.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 13, 2015, 11:45:51 pm »

Organs don't grow back, do they?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 14, 2015, 05:59:28 am »

The wiki advised me that getting someone to harvest a prisoner's organs (or I guess anybody else's organs) has a 'negative effect' on the colony as a whole...but didn't specify what that effect was.  I'm guessing a negative mood modifier?  Temporary?  Just for the person harvesting the organ, or for the whole colony?

Or maybe it meant a negative effect on the colony's relationship with the relevant faction.  In which case, yay, free organs!  ;D
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 14, 2015, 06:28:42 am »

Nabbing organs, executing prisoners and selling them as slaves tends to cause negative modifier to mood for everyone involved. I only tend to sell useless prisoners and buy cyberstuff with the money.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1042 on: September 14, 2015, 07:27:14 am »

Negative temporary effects for morale for entire colony, as well as hurting faction relations.

Organs don't grow back, but prisoners will also survive if missing half of a pair of organs. The non-paired organs, or second half of a pair, can be harvested last if you don't mind killing the patient.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 14, 2015, 09:08:51 am »

Negative temporary effects for morale for entire colony, as well as hurting faction relations.

Organs don't grow back, but prisoners will also survive if missing half of a pair of organs. The non-paired organs, or second half of a pair, can be harvested last if you don't mind killing the patient.
Depends if the prisoner or the organ is worth more.  *Mods morale modifier for organ harvesting and slavery down.*
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 14, 2015, 10:32:37 am »

One of my favorite moments from my last game was after a firefight one of my colonists had lost a kidney. I had also captured a prisoner. The problem created the solution. I harvested the kidney from the prisoner and plopped it into my colonist. Good as new.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:38:04 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 14, 2015, 11:39:34 am »

As a sidenote: the "Space Hulk" mod that was being brainstormed earlier... I find the idea fascinating.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 14, 2015, 03:46:55 pm »

As a sidenote: the "Space Hulk" mod that was being brainstormed earlier... I find the idea fascinating.
I was thinking about it, and decided that supercold space would work.  The outer hull would be frozen, and nearby rooms would be cold, but a few reskinned geothermal vents could provide heat to the interior, or some power + heat mapgen structures.  You'd end up with warm inner rooms and progressively colder outer rooms.  Spacesuits could provide like -2,500 safe temp for the helmet and suit separately and significant movement penalty.  Glittertech suits could be skintight and suffer no movement penalty, which could either be suits or be a different 'race' of humans with a further safe temp, which would mean that when killed they wouldn't drop the suit, since they're probably designed for each user specially, then give butcher product for scraps of glittertech skinsuit material.

World map could be interesting too.  The biomes could be 'engine' and 'cargo' and 'cryo' and 'command' and such, and have very restrictive mapgen for how things are placed in these areas.  Imagine that in the Engine biome, you get bonus power options straight from the drive, but have issues with radiation and raiders/manhunters who seek out the engine's power.  Or surviving in the more heavily fortified hallways of Cargo biome, with more secure walls and compartments, but occasionally suffering power outages as things happen on the Engine side off-screen and power goes down for a while.  Or in Cargo, you can get events similar to the 'crashing ship' mod, where it shifts cargo along z-axis and causes whole structures to 'drop' into rooms, as if the containers were moving on rails, obliterating things in the spot but moving in hoppers full of stuff.

The biggest thing is making worldgen VERY strict.  The map would essentially have to be pre-made by hand.  Any random allowances on the walls could result in overlap or gaps which would ruin the ship's structure.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 14, 2015, 04:05:38 pm »

I'd think that there wouldn't be biomes and it'd just be one map that's done by hand. I can't imagine making generation successful without basically making the map generator all over again. Whilst I like your idea of living in different parts/biomes, I feel you'd need the whole ship to have enough to explore/enjoy.

I feel the biggest problem would be programming in enough interaction with the ship - I can't imagine how you'd do that well with the engine how it is.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 14, 2015, 04:20:20 pm »

The worldgen already has different functions for different biomes.  If you generate a tundra it's different from a jungle.  Different plants, different terrain types, etc.  You could just as easily make each biome into a totally different mapgen that has nothing in common with each other.  Either way, I was going for the 'large ship' idea.  Not to be the crew aboard a ship in space, but rather to be survivors deep in the hull of the vessel that's plodding along under AI control.  If you've seen Stargate Universe then you know what I mean.  The ship is its own entity, and you're just trying to not die.

For that point, interaction with the ship wouldn't be important.  In vanilla, you can build a skeletal ship, the most basic type of cryo travel.  In this game mode, you'd be aboard a glitterworld production type freighter.  The walls can't be built or dismantled, you don't have the technology level to understand the molecular lattice that forms the hard walls.  The ship's power grid is powerful and arcane, you don't know how to build generators, you can just install more plugstrips into the main grid.  Somewhere in the hardened command section there's probably a crew of glitterworld techs who could fabricate ship repairs and program the AI, but you're just passengers who had the misfortune of waking up.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 24, 2015, 04:41:29 am »

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 280